PDA

View Full Version : Question on carpet cleaning method

Bunky
06-14-2010, 07:36 PM
I have in my detailing arsenal Optimum Power Clean, Meg's APC+, and Wolfgang Carpet Cleaner (never used but seems soapy compared to the other two).

When using any of these as a spot cleaner or just mist the carpet and scrub, how much rinsing should be done? Do you need to wet with water to remove all residue. Is anyone of these better or worse in needing to be rinsed somewhat.

I was reading the description of DP Total Interior Cleaner and it seems to indicate no real rinsing is needed.

I am not shampooing, etc. where the carpet is very wet but I do use a wet/dry type vac to wet, scrub, sometimes wipe to remove excess from carpet, and then vacuum.

I am just wondering if I am not rinsing enough and leaving something behind that may attract dirt.

BobbyG
06-14-2010, 07:44 PM
Al,

For normal soiled and stains.

I use Meguiar's APC + diluted 8:1. I spray it on, let it sit for a minute or two, scrub with a brush then vacuum. Once I'm satisfied I spray clean water over the area and wipe with a towel then vacuum again.

ryandamartini
06-14-2010, 07:45 PM
I have in my detailing arsenal Optimum Power Clean, Meg's APC+, and Wolfgang Carpet Cleaner (never used but seems soapy compared to the other two).

When using any of these as a spot cleaner or just mist the carpet and scrub, how much rinsing should be done? Do you need to wet with water to remove all residue. Is anyone of these better or worse in needing to be rinsed somewhat.

I was reading the description of DP Total Interior Cleaner and it seems to indicate no real rinsing is needed.

I am not shampooing, etc. where the carpet is very wet but I do use a wet/dry type vac to wet, scrub, sometimes wipe to remove excess from carpet, and then vacuum.

I am just wondering if I am not rinsing enough and leaving something behind that may attract dirt.

I always like to pressure wash the cleaner out after I scrub them and then use the shopvac to pull the water out. Just for spot work, I usually just scrub and shopvac it out with no rinsing.

richy
06-14-2010, 08:21 PM
Al...it's different for mats or for the interior carpeting. For mats, which normally have your worse staining, you can pre-treat them with a cleaner and let it dwell. I should have said vacuum very well first. Brush the area and blot with a white terry towel if you have one...that draws out some of the stain. For mats, power wash them and then vacuum it up with the wet vac. For interior carpeting, do not use a lot of soap b/c it's hard to get it out unless you have an extractor. Soap residue, if left on the carpeting, will actually attract more dirt and make it look worse in a very short time. If you don't have an extractor, fill a spray bottle with hot, hot water and spray and vacuum. Keep doing it until no more suds. Folex is great as is Zep High Traffic Lane Cleaner. Haven't tried the ones you mentioned.