PDA

View Full Version : Fading paint on tail lights

mastrjeff1
06-13-2010, 08:02 PM
How would I go about polishing these lights withought getting polish embedded between the gaps? Is there any trick to it? They are for a 1991 Mustang. Thank you.
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n294/03svtsnake/141.jpg

fancyfootwork
06-13-2010, 08:06 PM
Anyway you can take the plastic trim off?

D0ughB0y
06-13-2010, 09:20 PM
Get yourself some LX tails, they look so much nicer than the cheese graters.

CEE DOG
06-13-2010, 09:24 PM
Are you trying to polish that trim or the lights? The Subject compared to what you wrote confused me. If you are trying to get at the lights and you can't get at them any better then as shown you could tape between and polish by hand.

mastrjeff1
06-13-2010, 10:02 PM
I wanted to polish the painted part of the tail light. It is hard to see but the paint is really oxidized.

CEE DOG
06-13-2010, 10:11 PM
I wanted to polish the painted part of the tail light. It is hard to see but the paint is really oxidized.

I'm not sure exactly what the seams in the gaps are like. If you can't remove them and polish them off the car then tape off the lights carefully and hand polish. Then come back in with some really pinpoint accurate swabs and clean around the light seams where residue from the tape will get into.

ScottB
06-14-2010, 07:52 AM
If the covers come off, it certainly would make polishing easier. I would grab one of the headlamp polishing kits or the Megs Plastic polishes. Good think with Mustangs, lots of replacement parts on the cheap. If you cannot repair them properly, consider replacement.

D0ughB0y
06-14-2010, 08:19 AM
Please don't take my last comment poorly. I'm a long time foxbody guy. I did an 89 Notchback conversion back in the day.

Those painted areas don't come off. From the look of that picture, they need some serious attention. There are a few places that do sell the replacements, but you'd need to get them painted.

I think your only option if you want to keep them is to get in there, then take the *long* time to go through with cotton swabs, brushes, etc. to get all of the residue out. Once you're done, I'd seriously consider some clear to keep them looking fresh and clean.