PDA

View Full Version : Another noob question.

Yoshi94
06-13-2010, 07:38 PM
I XMT #1,finishing glaze,#845 about 2 weeks ago.

When it comes time to PC the car again. Would I strip everything off with dish soap?

Or can I just go over the car , over the 845? Repeating my steps I did 2 weeks ago.

fancyfootwork
06-13-2010, 08:08 PM
Strip it with dish soap. If you want to buff your car you are going to want to remove and protectant/wax that is on it.

Rsurfer
06-13-2010, 08:47 PM
The polish will remove the 845.

Bert31
06-14-2010, 01:00 PM
You brought up a point that doesn't have much agreement on, that being: when getting ready to polish a car, should you strip the old wax/sealant (LSP) off first. One camp says: "Of course, that way you are always working on a clean surface when polishing." The other camp says: "Why bother, if polish can remove swirl marks a thin layer of LSP will easily be removed by the polish." There is not much agreement between the two camps.

Me personally? I take the road of caution and strip the LSP off. When getting ready to polish a car, I wash my car with a strong concoction of a citrus wash then I clay my car and use a fresh wash of the strong citrus wash as my lubricant. That doesn't take any more time than a traditional wash and clay job so I don't worry about wasting time like some say stripping the LSP off first does.

If I am not planning to polish the car (let's say the finish looks fine, no swirls, haze or marring of any kind), I just want to go from one LSP to a different LSP, I may use an All in One or paint cleaner instead. The reason being is that a paint cleaner or All in One will remove the old LSP and do a nice job prepping the surface for the new LSP.

Make sense?

Rsurfer
06-14-2010, 01:07 PM
You brought up a point that doesn't have much agreement on, that being: when getting ready to polish a car, should you strip the old wax/sealant off first. One camp says: "Of course, that way you are always working on a clean surface when polishing." The other camp says: "Why bother, if polish can remove swirl marks a thin layer of wax/sealant will easily be removed by the polish." There is not much agreement between the two camps.

Me personally? I take the road of caution and strip the wax/sealant off. I wash my car with a strong concoction of a citrus wash then I clay my car with and use a fresh wash of the strong citrus wash as my lubricant. That doesn't take any more time than a traditional wash and clay so I don't worry about wasting time like some say stripping the wax/sealant off first does.

Make sense?
It does, but the OP said nothing about claying.