PDA

View Full Version : "I have some advice for you..."

Pages : [1] 2

CEE DOG
06-12-2010, 06:09 PM
At a car show today:

When the panel of judges came around the first thing the lead judge said to me was "I have some advice for you. Next time you should get some Armorall and spray it all over these tires.........." :eek: :mad:
I told him I had applied Optimum and that I prefered this finish to the super gloss that he was fond of. I had a lot more I wanted to say...

I was going to add this to the front of the other thread I started with all the car show pictures but it was more then 20 minutes and couldn't edit it.
Here is that thread: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/26305-car-show-06-12-2010-a.html

guess23959
06-12-2010, 07:08 PM
alot of judges are a***oles. back when i had my 77gp and my 59 impala, i would get critiqued all the time. and i told them "if your a judge, your not supposed to be telling me what to do with my car." i had wicked attitudes with them if they ever critiqued my work. i worked hard building those cars from the ground up and i didnt need some random d***head to tell me what to do to my car.

W.O.T Srvices
06-12-2010, 10:05 PM
hey don't feel to bad i won a prize for best Jap car and when i got on stage to collect i said i like to thank the Germans for making my car. some just have no idea.

Irish
06-13-2010, 02:00 AM
Last one I went to I was informed that I should really look into putting some dressing on my seats and dash.

Apparently the clean, protected, natural matte finish that we love as detailers doesn't win at shows where swirls, holos, and greasy dressings that sling all over the place are the norm.

Matt
06-13-2010, 03:15 AM
Apparently the clean, protected, natural matte finish that we love as detailers doesn't win at shows where swirls, holos, and greasy dressings that sling all over the place are the norm.

Sometimes it makes you wonder whether or not these judges should be judging at all.

Bunky
06-13-2010, 05:28 AM
If you enter any kind of competition with human judges, you will just need to accept that they will have their own biases when making very subjective opinions especially when there is no documented scoring system.

CEE DOG
06-13-2010, 06:30 AM
I thought you guys would get a kick out of that.

hey don't feel to bad i won a prize for best Jap car and when i got on stage to collect i said i like to thank the Germans for making my car. some just have no idea.

Now thats great!

Last one I went to I was informed that I should really look into putting some dressing on my seats and dash.

I think thats even worse then the tires. The tires I can actually understand the difference in preference but would just think the judge would know a dressed tire when he sees one.

If you enter any kind of competition with human judges, you will just need to accept that they will have their own biases when making very subjective opinions especially when there is no documented scoring system.

You are right about that for sure

This was the scoring system:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_1334.JPG

highline1164
06-13-2010, 08:23 AM
most likely a judge from back in the day when they thought it was cool to dress tires with brake fluid!

ScottB
06-13-2010, 08:52 AM
you should have offered some advice .... I prefer water based dressings that allow a tire to look natural and new, not something that might contain low grade silicones which could damage a tire over time.

CEE DOG
06-13-2010, 02:37 PM
you should have offered some advice .... I prefer water based dressings that allow a tire to look natural and new, not something that might contain low grade silicones which could damage a tire over time.

You're absolutely right... I was caught a little off guard and didn't think fast enough on my feet. He didn't want to listen to anything I had to say anyway. Basically turned his head as soon as I opened my mouth.

slimnib
06-13-2010, 02:42 PM

What is a Jap car?

slimnib
06-13-2010, 02:46 PM
I recently went to a concurs training session run by the local Porsche club. The person running it is one of the most successful detailers around my area and a lead judge for many shows. He said that shinny any where but paint and metal was a big no no.

Harv.

chetsteadman
06-13-2010, 08:30 PM
The score sheet misspelled the word "jamb".

CEE DOG
06-13-2010, 08:51 PM
The score sheet misspelled the word "jamb".

Nice, I didn't see that. I remembered one other funny thing though. That same judge asked me if I had any chrome on my car while simultaneously reaching down to one of the rear wheels and saying "oh yes you do". My wheels are polished aluminum. They really don't look anything like chrome :dunno:

VISITOR
06-13-2010, 08:56 PM
What is a Jap car?

japanese car. i really don't like the term jap used, but rather it could of been worded with "foreign" or" import" instead...