PDA

View Full Version : ONR as a quick detailer

Pages : [1] 2

killrflake
06-11-2010, 10:26 PM
I understand that Optimum No Rinse can be delutted and used a quick detailer which I would want to use as I clay my car. Does anyone know the best ratio to use? Can I really get as good a lubricant value as a regular quick detailer. The car I'll be using it
on will only require a fine clay as the paint is almost new. I've already bought some Pinnicle fine grade clay,but after seeing this fridays VIP sale I'll be ordering another pound (how can I pass up a deal like that). Thanks for any help that can be offered.

CriticalDetails
06-11-2010, 10:48 PM
"Add 1-1.5 ounces of DP Rinseless to 32 ounces of water to make a detailing clay or pad lubricant." DP Rinseless Wash & Gloss, no rinse car wash, concentrated no rinse wash, quick detail spray, waterless wash (http://autogeek.net/dp-rinseless-four-in-one.html). I have had excellent results using DP Rinseless Wash and Gloss diluted with distilled water at this ratio. I would imagine that diluting ONR at the same ratio would yield similar results.

AeroCleanse
06-11-2010, 10:52 PM
I think the instructions for the mix are on the bottle of ONR. If I recall, its 2oz per 30oz of water, for a total of 32oz.

DARK HORSE
06-11-2010, 10:57 PM
No, actually the instructions say "add 2oz of ONR to 1 gallon of water for clay lube". However I mix it at double that, just to be safe. I mix it at 32:1, or 4oz to 1 gallon...

chilly
06-12-2010, 09:57 AM
Make it easy on yourself. Go to the grocery store and buy a gallon of distilled water. Add 2 oz of ONR for clay lube and shake. That way you can just keep topping off your 32 oz spray bottle without having to wait until it is empty to get the ratio right and your clay lube is made with the cleanest possible water.

I do the same thing with my ONR QD formula.

I actually keep both mixes in old ONR gallon bottles because they are very sturdy and leave enough room for a gallon of water and the product.

Chilly

AeroCleanse
06-12-2010, 10:23 AM
No, actually the instructions say "add 2oz of ONR to 1 gallon of water for clay lube". However I mix it at double that, just to be safe. I mix it at 32:1, or 4oz to 1 gallon...

Yes for a clay lube, for a QD I think it's the way I said. Anyway, its all on the bottle of ONR.

Misterpaul
06-12-2010, 03:34 PM
I keep a bottle mixed at detail spray ratio in my trunk for the inevitable bird bomb. I also use it for clay bar lubricant and haven't bought any other clay bar lubricant since last year.

killrflake
06-12-2010, 08:58 PM
Thanks for all the replys. Maybe I should have read the label on the bottle, duh. I think I'll try the 4 onces to a gallon ratio as I would prefer it being a little more slippery then normal. Again, thanks everyone.

Jenn1270
06-12-2010, 09:27 PM
I keep a bottle mixed at detail spray ratio in my trunk for the inevitable bird bomb. I also use it for clay bar lubricant and haven't bought any other clay bar lubricant since last year.

I prefer it to what came in the Megs kit.

CEE DOG
06-12-2010, 09:30 PM
ONR is all I've ever used for clay lube and I can't think of any reason I'll ever change. :dblthumb2:

And yes it works as a QD as well but do look into Optimum Instant Detailer and Gloss Enhancer for this purpose as well.
Optimum Instant Detailer & Gloss Enhancer Quick Detail Spray, opt quick detailer, spray detailer, waterless wash, instant detail spray (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-instant-detailer-32oz.html)

Jenn1270
06-12-2010, 10:17 PM
ONR is all I've ever used for clay lube and I can't think of any reason I'll ever change. :dblthumb2:

And yes it works as a QD as well but do look into Optimum Instant Detailer and Gloss Enhancer for this purpose as well.
Optimum Instant Detailer & Gloss Enhancer Quick Detail Spray, opt quick detailer, spray detailer, waterless wash, instant detail spray (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-instant-detailer-32oz.html)

I LOVE OID....more than the forum's beloved FK425. But then again, I've not found an optimum product I didn't like.

weavers
06-12-2010, 11:12 PM
I bought a gallon of onr and today was the first time using it. all i can say is wow. i thought was a gimic product, but man it really does work. i am in love with this riseless wash. it took 35minutes to wash my car including tire/wheels and dressing them. i washed 3 cars today and spend 4hour correcting my dad's truck, its gonna be another 8hours for the other half. i probably only used 10gallons of water today total. i can bearly belive how slick and smooth the cars are. its like they were just clayed and waxed.

so i put 2oz of onr and 30oz of water to make a quick detailer. i need another spray botle to make a clay lubricant.

Lasthope05
06-13-2010, 02:03 AM
ONR is a good rinseless wash but not a very good at QD dilution and Clay dilution. At QD solution it's fine for light cleaning and all but doesnt really add much to the look of the paint that other QD's do. The same goes for Claying dilution. While it works better than plain water and is cheap it is not as good and slick as other clay lubes.

If you want a good QD and clay lube use something else but if your on a budget than stick to ONR and dilute it for different.

kids_gone
06-13-2010, 02:49 AM
so are you folks talking about this product "Optimum Car Wash 128 oz. - OPT-200G" or "Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine 128 oz. New Formula! - OPT-900-128"? Which one is best for quick detailing and which one is best for Winter washing?

Lasthope05
06-13-2010, 03:04 AM
We are talking about Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine. It is a rinseless car wash concentrate when properly diluted can be used as a rinseless car wash, QD (not very good compared to a dedicated QD), and Clay lubricant (also not very good when compared to a dedicated clay lubricant.)