PDA

View Full Version : Are Foam Applicator Pads Reusable?

Pages : [1] 2

Marc08EX
06-10-2010, 11:17 PM
Hi everyone,

Do you guys wash your foam applicator pads after using it? Can you use different products with it after washing it? For example if I use black wow with it on trim and then wash it, can I use it for some other chemical?

Thanks!

maximus20895
06-10-2010, 11:19 PM
yes, just make sure you wash it really well :)

Lasthope05
06-11-2010, 12:28 AM
Yes you can wash and reuse them but separate the applicator pads to a specific duty like paint, interior, exterior..etc.

The reason you want to keep them separated like that is to prevent contamination. No matter how much you wash the applicators you will never remove all the residue in them.

ScottB
06-11-2010, 06:52 AM
After a couple uses I move them to tire dressing status, so easy to use and rounded areas keep dressing off the wheels.

Meghan
06-11-2010, 07:10 AM
I put mine in the wash with my microfiber towels last time and seemed to put back some life into them...But yes they are definitely reusable!

RTexasF
06-11-2010, 07:34 AM
An applicator used for Black Wow should not be used with other products on the paint. It should be dedicated to that product only. Most all others can be cleaned & reused.

BobbyG
06-11-2010, 08:28 AM
I wash mine just like the buffing pads I use and they come out great but keep in mind what you've used them for. If they're greasy or contaminated with something other than what you normally use detailing then I would ditch them otherwise wash and reuse.

Marc08EX
06-11-2010, 09:43 AM
I put mine in the wash with my microfiber towels last time and seemed to put back some life into them...But yes they are definitely reusable!

Hi Meghan! Like the other day, I tried the powerlock with the pinnacle foam applicator pad and washed the applicator pad right after. It didn't seem to remove the powerlock completely and I washed it twice with APC. Do you get to clean them out completely? Thnx.

Marc08EX
06-11-2010, 09:49 AM
Yes you can wash and reuse them but separate the applicator pads to a specific duty like paint, interior, exterior..etc.

The reason you want to keep them separated like that is to prevent contamination. No matter how much you wash the applicators you will never remove all the residue in them.

An applicator used for Black Wow should not be used with other products on the paint. It should be dedicated to that product only. Most all others can be cleaned & reused.

I wash mine just like the buffing pads I use and they come out great but keep in mind what you've used them for. If they're greasy or contaminated with something other than what you normally use detailing then I would ditch them otherwise wash and reuse.

Thanks for the inputs guys! Man I was trying to avoid remembering what foam pads are used with what product. As an example, I was hoping that foam pad A could be used for a Wolfgang paint sealant, foam pad B for Menz powerlock, and foam pad C for Meg's M105 then we could wash them after use and interchange the product that could be used for each foam pad and not remember what each foam applicator pad is used for what product. Kind of like what we do to our LC/Megs foam buffing pads.

I guess it is better to separate foam pads that are used for dressings from the ones used for waxes/polishes.

tuscarora dave
06-11-2010, 10:27 AM
One of the things I do regarding foam applicators is to have a few red Auto Geek foam applicators and a few yellow Meguairs foam applicators and a few white Poorboy's World applicators etc. this way I use a specific color applicator for a specific product. I also picked up some microfiber covered foam stain/varnish applicators at Harbor Freight tools that I use for applying tire gels and trim protectants, they come 9 in a package for under $3. At that price they can just be tossed after a few uses but are tough enough to wash and reuse.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
06-11-2010, 01:13 PM
I consider foam applicators a disposable product.......

The time and effort it takes to clean them to my standards is not worth it to me considering the low cost of these apps

Bunky
06-11-2010, 03:03 PM
I try to reuse everything until it is tore up (splits, etc). It takes less than a minute or two to clean them.

CEE DOG
06-11-2010, 04:21 PM
I wash and store my App pads with labeling. Those little pads clean very easily.
I can't throw them away when they are still perfectly good. Not just the money but the resources or material used to make the foam are just being trashed for no reason. Just not in my nature.

Streetlife
06-11-2010, 05:42 PM
I use the Pinnacle XMT pad cleaner on mine, cleans them up real nice. But, i do have a bag full of Wolfgang applicators on hand just in case i start to see deterioration in the applicator pads i'm using now. I caught the Wolfgang applicator pads on BOGO a while back.

Old Tiger
06-11-2010, 06:11 PM
Hi everyone,

Do you guys wash your foam applicator pads after using it? Can you use different products with it after washing it? For example if I use black wow with it on trim and then wash it, can I use it for some other chemical?

Thanks!
I find it better to dedicate an applicator to a specific product and store it in a labeled zip lock bag. I like the durafoam ovals that go for $8-9 each and prefer to dedicate rather than wash and re-use. Just my $.02