PDA

View Full Version : Hydro-Tech tangerine pad question...

WRAPT C5Z06
06-10-2010, 09:06 PM
I'm trying to decide if I should buy LC flat orange or LC Hydro-tech pads? Will a HT tangerine pad finish better than a LC orange flat pad on soft paint? How close of cut does the tang have compared to the orange pad? Could a tangerine pad replace white and orange pads? I don't need Cyan pads as I have surbufs if I need heavy correction.

Thanks. :buffing:

CEE DOG
06-10-2010, 09:16 PM
See below link. This is pretty close to my interpretation of the available info at the time. I feel a bit differently now then when I made this chart but I think this is pretty close for practical purposes.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-charts-graphs/21155-pad-comparison-chart.html

WRAPT C5Z06
06-10-2010, 09:24 PM
See below link. This is pretty close to my interpretation of the available info at the time. I feel a bit differently now then when I made this chart but I think this is pretty close for practical purposes.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-charts-graphs/21155-pad-comparison-chart.html
Thanks a bunch, Corey!

I think I'm going to stick with the orange, white, black combo. :buffing:

PAR Detailing
06-11-2010, 06:50 AM
I love the HT pads but I dont think I will ever replace any pad for another. I often grab my HT pads but I also think every pad in my arsenal has its place just because every paint acts differently. Soooo I say have tons of each kind of pad lol but then again Im a pad junkie

Jon

A4 1.8tqm
06-11-2010, 08:59 AM
At least get 2 Tangerine H-T pads, they are sweet. I did a buddy's car with a Tang. H-T and XMT 360 the other day, what a great combo. Using the pad cleaning on the fly technique modified for the Flex we were just barely able to finish the whole car with one pad (silver and we weren't going for full correction). It did start to dimple in the middle from heat build-up but the pad didn't get "smoked". I feel that it only dimpled because I refused to get out a fresh pad so close to the end and the Flex BP was getting pretty warm, not a problem with the pad it self.

WRAPT C5Z06
06-11-2010, 09:33 AM
At least get 2 Tangerine H-T pads, they are sweet. I did a buddy's car with a Tang. H-T and XMT 360 the other day, what a great combo. Using the pad cleaning on the fly technique modified for the Flex we were just barely able to finish the whole car with one pad (silver and we weren't going for full correction). It did start to dimple in the middle from heat build-up but the pad didn't get "smoked". I feel that it only dimpled because I refused to get out a fresh pad so close to the end and the Flex BP was getting pretty warm, not a problem with the pad it self.
Thanks David. Generally speaking, do you find yourself reaching more for an orange or tangerine pad?

A4 1.8tqm
06-11-2010, 04:31 PM
Thanks David. Generally speaking, do you find yourself reaching more for an orange or tangerine pad?

I pretty much only go for the Orange pad if I expect to clean up some hazing with a less aggressive combo. I prefer the Cyan H-T to Orange Flat, and Tangerine H-T over White flat. H-T pads perform amazingly, you just have to be careful not to use them when the backing is wet and switch to a new one if it gets over saturated with product. :xyxthumbs:

And with all pads, some people need to give 'em a break (I'm not targeting you Mark, just saying). When the polisher's BP gets hot, the backing of the pad gets hot. Heat is not a friend of adhesives at all, or a friend to the structural integrity of foam itself either. As I said above, I over worked a Tangerine HT pad the other day. I just checked it, it did not make a full recovery... User error not faulty product. LC pads are great, but they are not invincible and should be treated with a level of care that is well within reason. I don't doubt that there has been legitimate failures but I feel a lot comes down to user error. You gotta roll with the punches and accommodate for different circumstances. :rant:

CEE DOG
06-11-2010, 05:07 PM
I pretty much only go for the Orange pad if I expect to clean up some hazing with a less aggressive combo. I prefer the Cyan H-T to Orange Flat, and Tangerine H-T over White flat. H-T pads perform amazingly, you just have to be careful not to use them when the backing is wet and switch to a new one if it gets over saturated with product. :xyxthumbs:

And with all pads, some people need to give 'em a break (I'm not targeting you Mark, just saying). When the polisher's BP gets hot, the backing of the pad gets hot. Heat is not a friend of adhesives at all, or a friend to the structural integrity of foam itself either. As I said above, I over worked a Tangerine HT pad the other day. I just checked it, it did not make a full recovery... User error not faulty product. LC pads are great, but they are not invincible and should be treated with a level of care that is well within reason. I don't doubt that there has been legitimate failures but I feel a lot comes down to user error. You gotta roll with the punches and accommodate for different circumstances. :rant:

I completely agree with all of that. I have used HT pads a fair amount now and none of mine have failed and all are still usable. I do have a cyan pad that is about at the end of its life as the face of the foam is not smooth like it used to be. Some of this I attribute to placing the edge brush against it will spiinning. I think I was a too aggressive a couple times. Anyway I have never had an issue with the adhesive or anything like that. I use about 4 of the pads per phase of a vehicle. The foam on the HT does seem to break down faster then the regular LC foam pads but it's not like they break down after only a couple cars.
Mark, If I was a profesional that did a ton of cars then I might not like the HT as much (I would have to figure all the pros-cons=cost(bottom line) but for somebody like you or me they will last plenty long if properly cared for.

Old Tiger
06-11-2010, 06:40 PM
I'm trying to decide if I should buy LC flat orange or LC Hydro-tech pads? Will a HT tangerine pad finish better than a LC orange flat pad on soft paint? How close of cut does the tang have compared to the orange pad? Could a tangerine pad replace white and orange pads? I don't need Cyan pads as I have surbufs if I need heavy correction.

Thanks. :buffing:
Mark, as much as you work on your Vette, how the hell do you ever need more than a few whites and grays?? Inquiring minds want to know!

WRAPT C5Z06
06-11-2010, 10:40 PM
Mark, as much as you work on your Vette, how the hell do you ever need more than a few whites and grays?? Inquiring minds want to know!
I've been detailing some other cars here and there. :buffing:

SgtDeckard
06-20-2010, 08:02 PM
I've got two, pretty much brand new (used once under 5 min each), tangerine Hydro's i'm looking to sell. Cheap too. lol. Let me know if you are interested.