PDA

View Full Version : New car question

aERonAUtical96
06-10-2010, 12:11 PM
New guy here... been lurking for a couple of weeks now. Learned a lot of what not to do on vehicles, and unfortunately, I did most of them on my 99 Mustang. So I'm slowly bringing that vehicle back from the inside out. Picked up a GG DA right before memorial day but haven't used it yet (plan on it next weekend).

Picked up a 2010 Outback beginning of May and would like to protect the car better than I did on my previous cars. From what I've derived so far, I think the appropriate protection right now is a sealant. I'm looking for confirmation to the process and possibly the products that I'm thinking about using for the new Subie.

1. Wash 2 bucket method w/ Meg Gold Class (OTC)
2. Clay w/ GG clay and their quick shine mist
3. IPA wipe down... is this necessary here?
4. Sealant - looking at Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 applied w/ 6.5" blue finesse pad (not sure which type of pad here... flat, hydrotech, etc)

The Outback has a lot of black plastic on the roof rails. I'm thinking the 303 Aerospace Protectant is what is used on this to protect the black plastic from eventual fading. Luckily this car will be garaged 60% of the time protecting it from the Florida sun.

Looking for any suggestions on things I should do differently, not do, etc.

TIA

Dubbin1
06-10-2010, 02:25 PM
The IPA really isn't necessary if you're not doing any polishing. Personally I would apply the sealant by hand as you wont waste as much product.

ryandamartini
06-10-2010, 02:31 PM
The IPA really isn't necessary if you're not doing any polishing. Personally I would apply the sealant by hand as you wont waste as much product.

I will disagree here. I've always found that when using the DA, I can coat half the car with very little product and always use less then by hand. If you can see the haze from the product at all, it's there. You don't need a lot to put on a nice coat.

@OP

Looks good. You will not need an IPA wipe down without doing any buffing.

The 303 is a great choice for protecting black plastics.