PDA

View Full Version : New to Autogeek

kev1027
11-04-2006, 10:50 PM
Hello, I just found this site about a week ago, and have been reading a lot of the previous posts. I have a 2002 F-250 that I like to keep clean. I have been using Zaino products by hand, and now that I have discovered this site, I want to take it up to the next level. My truck does have minor scratches and water marks, it is a black truck. It is not garage kept. I would like to know suggestions as to what to get to make the paint look new again. I have been looking at the Porter Cable package deals and am still undecided. I like the shiny wet look when detailed and I want something that will last a while b/c detailing this truck takes a long time. Which package is right for me and with what waxes/pads or any other suggestions.

Thanks for your help.

sparkie
11-05-2006, 12:53 AM
I understand you being undecided, there is a lot outstanding kits at AG store. I can tell you I have PC/DA and LC pads and the edge 2000 also. Like them both. The LC I'm mailing to another member because I have upgraded to Edge. With the Edge you get two pads in one. Push pull flip, you have a new pad. With my LC pads I get almost done polishing a vehicle, the pad is dirty, pull it off and clean and then finish. Like I said with the Edge push pull flip you have a new pad.

Polishes, I have XMT line, Poorboys SSR3, Megs #2 #4 #83 #7(glaze) #9, Optimum compound, AIO, DG101, Adam's line.
I would says my go to polishes is the XMT line, XMT3 or 2 then polish with AIO then top with wax or sealant. DG 101 is new to me, still playing around with it. Bad swirls go with OC or PB SSR3. One thing I can tell you is, Megs dose get the job done but there a lot of dust. OC, PB, XMT no dust to very little dust. Welcome to AG!

ryandamartini
11-05-2006, 06:44 AM
You really need to look into a porter cable kit. The one with the edge2K pads to me is the best choice as you get the PC and basically 2 of each level of pad as they are dual sided! :)

As it seems the kit has dissapeared... combine
http://www.autogeek.net/foam-polishing-kit.html

with

http://www.autogeek.net/poca746varap.html.

This again gives you the PC Polisher, the best pads which are two sided, so you have basically 2 of each :D Which will certainly help with detailing that monster! :) Not to mention the free adapter, Microfiber bonnets [buffing off wax], and the cobra microfiber towels in there.

For compounds, I strongly recommend Pinnacle XMT compounds. Light to no dusting, and EXCELLENT results!
http://www.autogeek.net/xmt.html

For the F250, Im assuming you use it how it is made to be used here and there. For a superb look, yet unprecadented durability, check out Duragloss 105 toped with Aquawax.
http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-aquawax--951.html
http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-total-performance-polish.html

ScottB
11-05-2006, 09:28 AM
you dont necessarily need to start fresh ... but move your product of choice to last step. Start to enhance your holdings while filling in these areas:

Wash ==== Clay === Polish === Protect

supercharged
11-05-2006, 10:01 AM
Welcome to AG!

kev1027
11-05-2006, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the replies! The main reason I want to try the Porter Cable is to remove the water spots and minor scratches, because what I am doing now is not helping get rid of them. Is this the right order: compound, polish, sealant, wax? What does the sealant do? Then my next question is does the souveran last long? Or do I need to use another wax on this big truck? I also plan on getting the guzzler, shmitt, foam gun, and how about some tire shine recommendations. Thanks for the help, I just want to get the right stuff all picked out before I order. Looking forward to getting some new products and putting them to use.

ScottB
11-05-2006, 02:56 PM
sealant --- protection from the elements and UV exposure, done after polishing to try and protect the work and finish you have been able to achieve.

Souveran paste ---- hands down the absolute best carnauba offered at a price point under several thousand dollars. (maybe better than those to, but outside my price/test zone). It has limited durability 4-6 weeks and really needs to use its soap and Crystal Mist to keep it going.

Tire Shine
matte surfaces -- 303 Protectant
Semi-gloss --- Pinnacles Onyx Gel
Glossy Surface -- Poorboys Bright/Bold
Natural Surface/ UV protection only --- Poorboys Natural Shine

kev1027
11-05-2006, 03:23 PM
Thanks killrwheels

supercharged
11-14-2006, 05:43 AM
sealant --- protection from the elements and UV exposure, done after polishing to try and protect the work and finish you have been able to achieve.

Souveran paste ---- hands down the absolute best carnauba offered at a price point under several thousand dollars. (maybe better than those to, but outside my price/test zone). It has limited durability 4-6 weeks and really needs to use its soap and Crystal Mist to keep it going.

Tire Shine
matte surfaces -- 303 Protectant
Semi-gloss --- Pinnacles Onyx Gel
Glossy Surface -- Poorboys Bright/Bold
Natural Surface/ UV protection only --- Poorboys Natural Shine

:iagree: