PDA

View Full Version : Scratches on the Wax Surface, NOT ClearCoats!

the_invisible
06-10-2010, 02:04 AM
Hi,

Just curious on what to do here. I have applied a couple layers some very durable sealants on my car (DP Poli Coat). I let each layer cure for 24hrs before applying the next clear. After a while I see some light marring on the wax coat.

I know that those scratches are ON the wax and NOT the clear coat because those marrings can be induced by something as gentle as my finger tips. The marrings can be removed by IPA wipe down, so that is an indication that the marrings are on the LSP and not the clearcoat.

In the case that the marrings are induced on the clear coats, what can I do to remove them? The marrings don't bother me enough to remove them completely and reapply everything; it's too much work to do so. However, what are some great techniques to remove them?

I figured that applying another layer of LSP may remove some of the marrings on the sealants. However, I find that the more layer of sealants I apply, the easier it is to create visible marrings on the sealants.

agpatel
06-10-2010, 02:21 AM
Hmm sounds like you have some smearing or something going on. Try and do a whipe down with a QD and see if it goes away. Does it look like a hazy film or some kind of film. Never seen "marring" on the layer as you cant mar a LSP layer.

the_invisible
06-10-2010, 04:29 AM
When I say marring on the sealant, I really mean marring on the sealant. Not smearing. =)

As I have stated, an IPA wipe down would remove the marring while removing some sealant along with it.

There is no hazy film or other kind of film. The LSP has been left to cure, and residue completely removed with microfiber. The cured LSP is so soft that I could run my microfiber cloth on it and marr it. The marring could be easily and effectively removed by removing the LSP layer.

Not all waxes exhibit this type of behavior; mostly pure carnauba waxes and a limited number of other sealants.

Mike Phillips
06-10-2010, 09:18 AM
What are you using for your last step product that is causing these issues?

:)

Bunky
06-10-2010, 10:28 AM
I have seen that I thought was marring due to using excess wax, letting it haze, and then not really about remove it well.

cobalt9123
06-10-2010, 05:02 PM
Are you applying thin layers? You may have TOO MUCH wax..is that possible Mike? I would think when you got to a certain point it would stop bonding as well....

JohnnyC
06-10-2010, 06:26 PM
Are you talking about holograms. Which look like they are on the top layer ?

the_invisible
06-10-2010, 06:47 PM
Most of you guys are right. The excess LSP IS the primary reason for the appearances of marring on the LSP. The more or thicker the coats I apply, the easier it is to marr the LSP. These are not holograms, but actual marring on the LSP. They are hard to see under normal lighting, and only appear if you look hard enough under the sun or under the swirl finding gun. The marrings could be induced by gently touching the car with objects such as microfiber towels, your fingers, your clothes, etc.

I find that this phenomenon occurs mainly on multiple coats of carnauba waxes, or on several thick coats of sealants. These marring magically disappear after a couple of car washes. They are not a big deal. But between car washes, the marrings are there if you look hard enough for them.

I applied very thin layers of LSP, but I applied multiple coats. Multiple thick coats of LSP are fine and do not exhibit this phenomenon on my Porsche 911 which stays indoor allowing the wax to cure for weeks. On my daily driven vehicles that receive multiple LSP treatments between short application intervals, the marrings appear more easily.

I am sure this is normal and most people actually experience it without knowing it; you really have to look hard under the swirl finding light in order to catch it.