PDA

View Full Version : Pad Choice ???

I Shine
06-09-2010, 05:32 AM
I have been using Meguiars 2.0 7" pads. They work well and are very durable. I have a Dewalt rotary but mostly use my G110 D/A polisher. I use the Meguiars backing plate W68DA.

I'm preparing to make a large buffing pad purchase, about 12 or 15 pads. I have been detailing a lot of family, friends, and co-workers vehicles lately. I desperately need more pads. I thinking about experimenting with different pads. I hear a lot of good things about Lake Country Hydro pads but do they wear out really fast? I absolutely can't afford a one time use disposable pad. What about Lake Country flat or CCS pads. What about size? Should I go 6.5 inch or 5.5 inch ? Before I make this big purchase I would like to hear some pro's and con's. Or should I just stick with my Meguiars pads ?

I appreciate any help that I can get.

Thanks

CEE DOG
06-09-2010, 06:28 AM
I think if you love the pads you're using then there is no need to change.
On the other hand why not buy 1 or 2 LC's and check them out before you pick?

rwright
06-09-2010, 09:30 AM
I'm with CEE DOG. Don't limit yourself to one pad until you've tried many. Since you're using a rotary, try out the Kompressor pads. I love the Hydro-Tech pads but the life of them is not favorable. So when you are using these you need to charge for replacement pads. I've gone through about 8 or 9 Cyan (blue) ht pads on 3 cars and they are useless at this point and I'm only using a DA. Awesome pads though! :buffing:

Pockets@PoorboysWorld
06-09-2010, 10:16 AM
I would get the LC ccs 6.5 inch or the LC VC pads 6.5 inch. The reason being is becasue you than have a "buffer zone" becasue the pad actually covers up the backing plate. So if you are coming up on a panel and hit the mirror by accident you don't have to worry becasue its just the foam pad, and they also last a lot longer becasue the backing is actually modeled into the pad as apposed to the flat pads where the Velcro is just glued onto the back of the pad.

WRAPT C5Z06
06-09-2010, 01:49 PM
I would get the LC ccs 6.5 inch or the LC VC pads 6.5 inch. The reason being is becasue you than have a "buffer zone" becasue the pad actually covers up the backing plate. So if you are coming up on a panel and hit the mirror by accident you don't have to worry becasue its just the foam pad, and they also last a lot longer becasue the backing is actually modeled into the pad as apposed to the flat pads where the Velcro is just glued onto the back of the pad.
I really like the idea of the VC 5.5" pads for the Flex 3401. However, the only thing that holds me back from buying them is the hole in the middle of the pad. I think it takes away from the idea of a true flat pad.

Pockets@PoorboysWorld
06-09-2010, 03:17 PM
I really like the idea of the VC 5.5" pads for the Flex 3401. However, the only thing that holds me back from buying them is the hole in the middle of the pad. I think it takes away from the idea of a true flat pad.

But VC is not a true flat pad its a Variable Contact pad.

WRAPT C5Z06
06-09-2010, 03:20 PM
But VC is not a true flat pad its a Variable Contact pad.
They look flat in the picture on the website.

Pockets@PoorboysWorld
06-09-2010, 03:52 PM
They look flat in the picture on the website.

Just a mini version of the big variable contact pads :xyxthumbs: idk why the hole is there becasue they fit perfectly on the flex no need to center it can only go on center lol

A4 1.8tqm
06-09-2010, 04:01 PM
LC's web site has pics of VC pads. Foam Pads - Buffing & Polishing Products | Lake Country Manufacturing (http://www.lakecountrymfg.com/products/index.cfm/catid/2/foam-pads)

WRAPT C5Z06
06-09-2010, 04:04 PM
Just a mini version of the big variable contact pads :xyxthumbs: idk why the hole is there becasue they fit perfectly on the flex no need to center it can only go on center lol
Cool, thanks. :xyxthumbs:

Thanks for the link David. :props:

I Shine
06-09-2010, 04:21 PM
Yes, I don't want to limit my self to one brand of anything. I have been a faithful user of just one brand. Being here on autogeek has opened my eyes to different products. My original brand makes excellent products. I want to expand my detailing skills and products but I can't afford to do a lot of trial and error. Maybe I'll buy several different brands and/or types of pads. Are there any methods to prolong the life span of the Hydro pads? I really appreciate the advice.