PDA

View Full Version : Toro Leaf Blower for Car Drying

Pages : [1] 2 3

Kurt_s
06-08-2010, 08:33 PM
Well guys,

I broke down and bought the 235MPH Toro leaf blower and gave it a try. The Toro unit is heavier than I expected but it was kind of fun to us. It helped blow water off the paint surface with a little practice and out of crevices but never completely blew water out of my wheels, around the trim or from all the crevises as I expected. This is a car that beads exceptionally well with WG sealant base and an OCW topper on it. I use a final rinse of soft water from a hose without a nozzle to sheet water off the paint surface before drying.

I have two major issues:
1) I strained my left shoulder from the weight and sometimes awkward angle after using the blower
2) I really couldn't use a towel and the blower at the same time
3) I was tethered to an electrical cord
4) I noticed when blowing the water droplets off the car, very small white spots remained on the paint from tiny residual water specs. The surface appeared lightly powdery in some areas.

I needed a detailer spray (OID) to remove the cloudiness from the paint surface. I had never experienced this issue when drying by hand and I've quickly dried many cars in the sun over the years before pulling them in the garage to finish up.

The outcome:
My shoulder is still healing 2 weeks later and my poor car needs a bubble bath. :cry: The Leaf Blower went back to HD. I think I need a couple more WW MFs for hand drying.

My questions:
1) Have others experienced this spotting effect when using an air drying device?
2) Is there a easy to store, easy to use, lightweight but powerful tool to blow out water from crevises, trim, wheels and under emblems in the $70 range like the Toro, and still handle a WWMF towel at the same time?
3) Will there be a 2 fer BOGO for larger size WW MFs soon?

Thanks!

Rsurfer
06-08-2010, 08:40 PM
Get a smaller leaf blower, you don't need but around 100 mph to blow water from nooks and crannies. I have a Makita cordless, but it's around 200 bucks with battery and charger.

CEE DOG
06-08-2010, 08:48 PM
My questions:
2) Is there a easy to store, easy to use, lightweight but powerful tool to blow out water from crevises, trim, wheels and under emblems in the $70 range like the Toro, and still handle a WWMF towel at the same time?
Thanks!

How's this for a handy blower? 80$
http://www.autogeek.net/metro-blaster-sidekick.html (http://www.autogeek.net/metro-blaster-sidekick.html)

Air Volume: 160MPH/85CFM
Air Speed: 18,000 FPM
HP Motor: 1.3
Amps: 8
Volts: 120
Watts: 950
Warranty: 1 YEAR WARRANTY
MADE IN USA

Kurt_s
06-08-2010, 08:51 PM
Get a smaller leaf blower, you don't need but around 100 mph to blow water from nooks and crannies. I have a Makita cordless, but it's around 200 bucks with battery and charger.
Thanks. I saw another cordless at HD for about $100 that put out around 100MPH. Good to know that 100MPH will work.:dblthumb2:

I was wondering about a smaller handheld as an option. I think CG sold one and I think there's a bike dryer on AG. I'm good with hand drying large surfaces but a nice blower for nooks and crannies would be great. I can never seem to get the side mirrors and my rims dry, which is a pain when I want to polish and wax immediately.

Rsurfer
06-08-2010, 08:54 PM
Thanks. I saw another cordless at HD for about $100 that put out around 100MPH. Good to know that 100MPH will work.:dblthumb2:

I was wondering about a smaller handheld as an option. I think CG sold one and I think there's a bike dryer on AG. I'm good with hand drying large surfaces but a nice blower for nooks and crannies would be great. I can never seem to get the side mirrors and my rims dry, which is a pain when I want to polish and wax immediately.
Just drive it around a few blocks.

Kurt_s
06-08-2010, 08:56 PM
How's this for a handy blower? 80$

http://www.autogeek.net/metro-blaster-sidekick.html (http://www.autogeek.net/metro-blaster-sidekick.html)

Air Volume: 160MPH/85CFM
Air Speed: 18,000 FPM
HP Motor: 1.3
Amps: 8
Volts: 120
Watts: 950
Warranty: 1 YEAR WARRANTY
MADE IN USA

Thanks CEE DOG! Just might be the ticket. I live in SoCal so I don't get to Florida to try cool stuff at Detailfests. Do you use the sidekick?

I've also been on the bubble to buy an air compressor. There are a few jobs were it would be handy.

Kurt_s
06-08-2010, 09:00 PM
Just drive it around a few blocks.
I used to years ago but stopped. I wondered if I was getting dust, dirt and bug bodies on the freshly washed paint before claying, polishing and waxing. Heck, in the spring it's hard enough to keep it clean after washing with the pollen blooms.

Rsurfer
06-08-2010, 09:47 PM
I used to years ago but stopped. I wondered if I was getting dust, dirt and bug bodies on the freshly washed paint before claying, polishing and waxing. Heck, in the spring it's hard enough to keep it clean after washing with the pollen blooms.
Glad I don't have that problem. BTW I called AG sometime age about the blower and they told me it doesn't have much power. The Makita is pricey, but a joy since it's cordless.

Kurt_s
06-08-2010, 09:53 PM
Glad I don't have that problem. BTW I called AG sometime age about the blower and they told me it doesn't have much power. The Makita is pricey, but a joy since it's cordless.
Thanks Rsurfer. One of the reasons that I love AG and this forum is I get real life experiences and recommendations in real time. :dblthumb2:

take care!

CEE DOG
06-08-2010, 09:57 PM
Thanks CEE DOG! Just might be the ticket. I live in SoCal so I don't get to Florida to try cool stuff at Detailfests. Do you use the sidekick?

I've also been on the bubble to buy an air compressor. There are a few jobs were it would be handy.

No, I haven't tried the sidekick. I've been looking at the Metro Master blaster which I did get the chance to try at DF. The Metro MasterBlaster is Metro's most powerful blower/dryer at 8hp! Blow dry your motorcycle & your vehicle with this big blower. (http://www.autogeek.net/mema.html)
I'm waiting for it to go BOGO to split the price with Bunky :D

Currently I use my air compressor to do crevices, mirrors, tires, wheels. Then on the paint I use WW towels with either OID, FK425, AW, or OCW. Just started experimenting with the FK425...

Kurt_s
06-08-2010, 10:10 PM
No, I haven't tried the sidekick. I've been looking at the Metro Master blaster which I did get the chance to try at DF. The Metro MasterBlaster is Metro's most powerful blower/dryer at 8hp! Blow dry your motorcycle & your vehicle with this big blower. (http://www.autogeek.net/mema.html)
I'm waiting for it to go BOGO to split the price with Bunky :D

Currently I use my air compressor to do crevices, mirrors, tires, wheels. Then on the paint I use WW towels with either OID, FK425, AW, or OCW. Just started experimenting with the FK425...
CEE DOG, Hmmm... FK425?

I used to dry with a synthetic chamois and a particular vendors ID that was compatible with their wax. I still love their wax but there are better IDs.

I started using OID earlier this year with wonderful success (slick, shiny and bright on a white surface) after removing water with a WW MF and applying with a dry MF. I recently tried OCW after drying without the OID. OMG... Best of sealant and carnauba heaven?

What's the difference between the FK425 and OID? I tried the pink CG synthetic detailer that looks like the FK425 with ok results. Too much streaking for me.

Rsurfer
06-08-2010, 10:13 PM
CEE DOG, Hmmm... FK425?

I used to dry with a synthetic chamois and a particular vendors ID that was compatible with their wax. I still love their wax but there are better IDs.

I started using OID earlier this year with wonderful success (slick, shiny and bright on a white surface) after removing water with a WW MF and applying with a dry MF. I recently tried OCW after drying without the OID. OMG... Best of sealant and carnauba heaven?

What's the difference between the FK425 and OID? I tried the pink CG synthetic detailer that looks like the FK425 with ok results. Too much streaking for me.FK is slicker, but OID is cheaper.

Kurt_s
06-08-2010, 10:17 PM
FK is slicker, but OID is cheaper.
Wow. OID was slick after application but was significantly slicker 24 hours later.

I may have to get a trial size of the FK425 for laughs and giggles.

Thanks!

DARK HORSE
06-08-2010, 10:17 PM
"235MPH Toro leaf blower"

WOW, I'm surprised you didn't blow the paint right off your car with that thing :laughing:...I rinse w/ CR spotless, and blow dry with a cheap Black and Decker leaf blower (around $45.00) . Works great even on black, absolutely no problem!

Kurt_s
06-08-2010, 10:25 PM
"235MPH Toro leaf blower"

WOW, I'm surprised you didn't blow the paint right off your car with that thing :laughing:...I rinse w/ CR spotless, and blow dry with a cheap Black and Decker leaf blower (around $45.00) . Works great even on black, absolutely no problem!
Well the neighbors house is down the street somewhere. At least what's left of it...:laughing:

I didn't expect the residue as I've used soft water for 4-5 years and hand dried. The Toro was too heavy and unweldy, and I'm not a little guy. Maybe a cordless makes better sense for what I want to do?