PDA

View Full Version : Detailing Product Recommendations for Honda Pilot

Wyle E Coyote
06-08-2010, 08:10 PM
Hello all.

I've been told by a couple of professional detailing experts that working on certain late model imports including the Honda vehicles have a distinct 'soft' paint that require a unique blend of detailing products and technique to get that showroom shine.

I am working on a 2010 Black Honda Pilot with only some minor imperfections, and if any of you professionals have detailed this or a similar vehicle before, I would greatly appreciate a breakdown of some of the polishes, glazes, sealants, waxes, quick detailers etc. that have produced successful results for you.

I'm using a PC7424XP, so if possible; include the pads you used w/ the above products.

Thanks in advance for all your responses.

Jenn1270
06-08-2010, 08:55 PM
Welcome. I too have a Honda Pilot however it is a bit older 06. I have not found the paint to be extremely soft but it does chip quite easily. I was able to get all the swirls out with XMT 360 and minimal effort. If you are not wanting to do a 2 step process, XMT 360 or Megs 151 paint reconditioning cream are great and have wax built in.

Jenn

Mike Phillips
06-09-2010, 06:11 PM
Hello all.

I've been told by a couple of professional detailing experts that working on certain late model imports including the Honda vehicles have a distinct 'soft' paint that require a unique blend of detailing products and technique to get that showroom shine.

Be careful about reading generalizations, paint manufacturers can change paint systems without notifying discussion forums... :D

We owned a 2004 Nighthawk Pearl Honda Pilot and I did find the paint very easy to remove swirls out of... back then I was using M80 Speed Glaze and it worked great on this paint system with a DA Polisher.

As long as you stick with quality brands for your polishes or swirl mark removers you won't have any problem, that and good technique and the common sense duties like always working clean, that is make sure the car is clean before you do any paint polishing work.

Lots of large flatish panels on the Pilot and some small, or thin panels too, the roof is a paint just because you have to get up and down about 5 times to go around the roof, twice on each side and once in the back where the little wing is. At least that's how many times I would go up and down on an aluminum stand to work the roof.

After the first year of ownership I switched the roof over to claying and a cleaner/wax, no more dedicated polishing and then sealing since no one ever looked at it.

5.5" pads, either CCS or Flat Pads will work fine, i tend to reach for flat pads but others can chime in with their preferneces...

How does the paint look right now?

Swirls? Scratches? Water Spots?

Also, since this was your first post...

Welcome to Autogeek Online!

:welcome:

Jenn1270
06-09-2010, 08:30 PM
I used the Megs flat pads when I did mine. I just wash the roof and hit it with the 845 that will last many moons.

Jenn

Wyle E Coyote
06-10-2010, 07:30 AM
Thanks Mike and Jenn for you posts.

I too, don't take extreme methods to do the roof as it's rarely seen by others unless they are riding in a mac truck or something.

Mike, the paint is in great shape as the vehicle is only a few months old. However, since it has washed a lot in the past and washed w/o a grit-guard until only recently, one can see a moderate sign of swirls in the direct sunlight (i.e. spider webs)

Other than that the paint looks pretty decent, we just wanted to up the shine a notch or two to the next level and were wondering which products would serve best on a black paint from Honda.

Thanks again.

Mike Phillips
06-10-2010, 08:20 AM
we just wanted to up the shine a notch or two to the next level and were wondering which products would serve best on a black paint from Honda.

Thanks again.

Everything we sell works great but since coming to Autogeek from Meguiar's one system approach I've found that anyone can use and be guaranteed great results the first time are the Wolfgang Twins, Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover and Wolfgang Finishing Glaze.

That's why I love this thread, this is the real deal, Joe had never used an electric polisher before and he produced professional grade results on a fairly hard car to detail his very first time.

Proof You Can Do It! - Joe The Detailer - Black Porsche Turned into Black Pearl! (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/25226-proof-you-can-do-joe-detailer-black-porsche-turned-into-black-pearl.html)

I used the same system here,

1994 Porsche Detailed for "Operation Comfort" Modeled by Brittany from Stuart, Florida (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/26233-1994-porsche-detailed-operation-comfort-modeled-brittany.html)

Give customer care a call because they are very good at helping you get just the right products and pads and anything else you might need to do the job right the first time.

1-800-869-3011

:)