PDA

View Full Version : Handiest little picture viewer tool I've been using for years now...

Pages : [1] 2

Mike Phillips
06-08-2010, 09:42 AM
Handiest little picture viewer tool I've been using for years now... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tips-techniques-how-articles-interacting-discussion-forums/26202-handiest-little-picture-viewer-tool-i-ve-been-using-years-now.html)

Lview Pro is a simple, easy to use graphic program that will do a lot of common graphics editing tasks. To be fair, there is an updated version of Lview Pro here,
Lview Pro Home Page (http://www.lview.com/index1024.htm)

I tried the newest version of LviewPro and found it to be complex with a steep learning curve, (at least for me). What I like better is an old version of it that came out for Windows 95 but so far has worked on all of my computers no matter what the operating system has been.

You can download an older Shareware version here,

Free Shareware version (http://www.lctn.com/util/graphics-utilities.htm)

I use this mostly for sifting through multiple photos using the slide show option (Under File -> Multiple Open), which helps me to find the best shots or quickly rotating a photo 90 degrees...

(Yes I know there are zillions of programs that do this I just like LviewPro the best)

Thought I would share it with the forum while the shareware version can still be found...

:)

Hoytman
11-20-2012, 02:46 PM
I tried the newest version of LviewPro and found it to be complex with a steep learning curve, (at least for me). What I like better is an old version of it that came out for Windows 95 but so far has worked on all of my computers no matter what the operating system has been.

You can download an older Shareware version here,

Free Shareware version (http://www.lctn.com/util/graphics-utilities.htm)

Is this link stll good? I mean, I clicked on it and I found an old version near he bottom of the page, but was made to feel somewhat uneasy about clicking on it because the last time the page had been updated. It says, "September of 1919." :eek::laughing: If it looks familiar to you then that'll help.

What was the name of that sorting program again, please? You mentioned LViewPro and something else.

BobbyG
11-20-2012, 02:54 PM
Is this for Mac also? :D

Mike Phillips
11-20-2012, 02:57 PM
Is this link still good? I mean, I clicked on it and I found an old version near he bottom of the page, but was made to feel somewhat uneasy about clicking on it because the last time the page had been updated. It says, "September of 1919." :eek::laughing: If it looks familiar to you then that'll help.

What was the name of that sorting program again, please? You mentioned LviewPro and something else.

The link is still good and you get the free shareware version. Been using this since probably 1995 or so...

Just took this screenshot using the program...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/722/LViewPro.jpg

I use it every time I work with pictures. It's the handiest little picture viewer...

:dblthumb2:

Mike Phillips
11-20-2012, 02:59 PM
Is this for Mac also? :D

I don't think so.

I use it with all my PC's. Been using it since I've been on forums, it's simple, works great and it's free.

I use it when I want to go through an entire folder of pictures to pick out the ones I ant to use for a write-up.

I use it to take screenshots

I use it as my default picture viewer.

It works great.

BobbyG
11-20-2012, 03:09 PM
Yea, I looked through the operating systems it supports and didn't see Mac listed.

It does look like a great product and for $30.00 how can you go wrong...You just can't beat that with a stick!! :props:

Hoytman
11-20-2012, 03:16 PM
The link is still good and you get the free shareware version. Been using this since probably 1995 or so...

Just took this screenshot using the program...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/722/LViewPro.jpg

I use it every time I work with pictures. It's the handiest little picture viewer...

:dblthumb2:

Thanks Mr. Phillips.

For some reason I was thinking you had mentioned another program you were using besides LViewPro and Easythumbnails.

(Side note: I quote a thread with pictures and then clicked on editor mode. First time I'd seen that with pictures and it makes sense after you described it. However, in editor mode, I still am not seeing the difference when multi-quoting a message.)

y8s
11-20-2012, 03:22 PM
I'm a big fan of Picasa along with Picasa Web Albums (aka now Google Plus Photos). You get a free computer program that handles many common editing needs (resizing, cropping, color, exposure, funky effects, etc) as well as UNLIMITED FREE online storage for photos 2048 pixels x 2048 pixels or smaller. This also has a viewer that does fast slideshows.

And as a bonus, there's an online editor called Creative Kit (formerly Picnic) that does a lot of the same stuff--for editing on the fly.

If you need higher resolution and more storage, you can buy it through google and share it with the rest of your google features.

Matt

Hoytman
11-20-2012, 03:28 PM
Now when trying to download it (free version) I'm getting a message saying it isn't commonly downloaded and could harm my computer. Perhaps it's nothing but it's just that I just finished fixing a bunch of issues with this dinosaur I'm using. Sounds like the program would be a big help too.

Man...it's always something...

Mike Phillips
11-20-2012, 03:31 PM
I'm a big fan of Picasa

Matt

Hi Matt,

I like and use Picasa for a number of things but not as my preferred default image viewer. I like a much simpler piece of software for simple tasks is the reason why and that's just me.

I also like Easy Thumbnails for resizing because I trust it not to distort my pictures. I'm sure Picasa wouldn't do this either but now that I have a system in place that works for me it's easier not to change.

Picasa is great for searching your hard drive and finding pictures you have no clue where you saved them to. I use it for this feature all the time, especially on my antique Dell Laptop with thousands of car pictures I've worked on over the years...

Hoytman
11-20-2012, 03:33 PM
I'm a big fan of Picasa along with Picasa Web Albums (aka now Google Plus Photos). You get a free computer program that handles many common editing needs (resizing, cropping, color, exposure, funky effects, etc) as well as UNLIMITED FREE online storage for photos 2048 pixels x 2048 pixels or smaller. This also has a viewer that does fast slideshows.

And as a bonus, there's an online editor called Creative Kit (formerly Picnic) that does a lot of the same stuff--for editing on the fly.

If you need higher resolution and more storage, you can buy it through google and share it with the rest of your google features.

Matt
Appreciate the info, but I simply don't know much about any of what you mentioned. I'm fairly new at working with photo's and I was just trying to use something that Mr. Phillips uses everyday in hopes that it would make life easier for me.

So many programs to be used and its tough to know what to do. I would think MS Office 2007 would have a way that's easy to work with photos and still be able to work with this forum.

Mike Phillips
11-20-2012, 04:03 PM
I was just trying to use something that Mr. Phillips uses everyday in hopes that it would make life easier for me.

Hey Bill,

Look at the screen shots I just took and created this thread with...

Editor view of BB code behind multiple pictures (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tips-techniques-how-articles-interacting-discussion-forums/57631-editor-view-bb-code-behind-multiple-pictures.html)

Shows you a few things that should help...

Hoytman
11-20-2012, 04:29 PM
Hey Bill,

Look at the screen shots I just took and created this thread with...

Editor view of BB code behind multiple pictures (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tips-techniques-how-articles-interacting-discussion-forums/57631-editor-view-bb-code-behind-multiple-pictures.html)

Shows you a few things that should help...

Yeah...that helped. Right after we got off of the phone together I found one of your posts, like you said to do, with a good number of pictures in it and hit the quote button, then the editor button and was able to see the number and the code. That will certainly make uploading photo's faster.

Now I just have to somehow download LViewPro without it damaging my computer and then figure how how that editor mode works for text to increase speed rather than copying and pasting the beginning and ending tags for each section of text I wish to quote. I'm using IE (don't recall which version but my computer is a 2007 HP and I'm sure I've only missing one of two update versions which should still work) but for text editor mode just provides a bigger font. I'm not sure what's going on with that.

For others reading, it's not that I can't upload pictures, or multi-quote text, I'm simply trying to figure out a much faster way of doing it.

Mike Phillips
11-20-2012, 04:44 PM
For others reading, it's not that I can't upload pictures, or multi-quote text, I'm simply trying to figure out a much faster way of doing it.

Exactly....

I have a need for speed...

:D

umi000
11-20-2012, 08:30 PM
An alternative program, one which I've used for years, is IrfanView (www.irfanview.com). It's freeware, frequently updated, fast, easy to use, has a thumbnail mode for quick browsing and comparison of images, supports the most common image operations (cropping, lossless rotation, basic edits for brightness, contrast and color, etc), and also allows for batch processing (renaming, resizing, editing) of multiple pictures.