PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a dressing that will NOT be slick

steamshooter
06-08-2010, 09:33 AM
I'm looking for a dressing to put on my Dad's 2002 Suburban's running boards. It is pretty much a highway cruiser that lives in the garage. Dad runs it through a lazer wash and then uses a QD on it and that's all the care the paint has had. Mom has had both hips, and one knee replaced. I need a product that will not under any circumstances be slick. Extra points for a product that can do double duty on weatherstripping.

A4 1.8tqm
06-08-2010, 02:28 PM
Duragloss Tire & Rubber Mat Dressing (TMD) #253 (http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-tire---rubber-mat-dressing.html)

I've never used it, but it looks to me like just what you need. Maybe someone else has some input? I think any dressing will add a little slickness.

ScottB
06-08-2010, 03:10 PM
my worry would be in rain and incliment weather, if dressing sits on surface versus sinking in it could become slipperly.

dublifecrisis
06-08-2010, 05:45 PM
optimum or 303 applied as per directions then wipe it down with a clean MF. and make sure the rubber/plastic part of the running board is thoroughly cleaned. exterior trims always looks better and seems to absorb better if it's free of all the grime. I use straight IPA or dilluted 50/50 with distilled water. I would lean toward 303.

Shane731
06-08-2010, 05:49 PM
Meguiar's Ultimate Protectant (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-ultimate-protectant.html)

You can probably find it at Advance Auto.

Old Tiger
06-08-2010, 06:16 PM
IME UV products leave a surface slicker than it was. I have 303, DG 531, OPP, FK UV and DG 253. The FK is the best for running boards. I have the Megs Ultimate that Shane recommends but havent tried it on running boards yet. I will try it. IME the best compromise is to add 3 oz ONR to a quart bottle and add water. I spray directly on running boards and wipe off, Leaves a nice gloss and is not slick after. Hope this helps.

steamshooter
06-08-2010, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.

Old Tiger: Do you mean ONR as a cleaner and then just leave it be? I want to make sure I understood that correctly. That may be the ticket. I can't take any chances with my Momma.

Old Tiger
06-08-2010, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.

Old Tiger: Do you mean ONR as a cleaner and then just leave it be? I want to make sure I understood that correctly. That may be the ticket. I can't take any chances with my Momma.
Yes apply like a QD and wipe off. This is more concentrated than ONR at QD strength but it works for me and isnt slick. Wipe off until dry!

steamshooter
06-09-2010, 05:22 AM
Thanks a bunch! :xyxthumbs: I will try that.

sullysdetailing
06-09-2010, 08:18 AM
303 or Poorboy's Trim Restore

Larry A
06-09-2010, 08:50 AM
Megs Interior Detailer is all you need , unless your vinyl is in bad shape.