PDA

View Full Version : Can 'touch-free laser' carwash hurt paint?

Pages : [1] 2

Tracey29301
06-07-2010, 10:09 AM
i've been reading how people have introduced new scratches when hand washing their cars- even when being especially careful with technique, etc. I have always used the 'touch-free laser' carwash in my area. Isn't that the safest thing to use? i had a black shiny 07 camry and always ran it through the touch-fee laser and never had any new scratches. it seems much safer to do the touch-free laser than to hand wash. am i missing something?

RTexasF
06-07-2010, 10:35 AM
The chemicals can be a bit harsh. Those only do an "okay" job......if it's really dirty it stills comes out dirty. Proper hand washing technique is better in my opinion unless you just want to rinse the dust off. ONR makes things pretty quick & painless as does Poorboy's Spray & Wipe along with a number of other products.

Tracey29301
06-07-2010, 10:41 AM
understandable, thanks :o)

Emile
06-07-2010, 11:21 AM
You're not missing anything, just don't let the guys towel-dry the vehicle at the end. Also, touch-free systems tend to use aggressive high and low ph wash soaps which can easily strip wax, if that is something you are concerned about.

Finally, they also use very high pressure for pre and post rinsing but nothing beats getting the dirt off by simply washing the car with a quality wash mitt/sponge and wash soap.

I feel that the touch-free car washes can be a very useful asset during harsh winters. Drive straight home, do an ONR wash and QD as necessary.

Tracey29301
06-07-2010, 11:46 AM
the touch free laser wash has an overhead blower that dries the car nicely, so nothing touches it, thankfully! what is ONR? forgive me for asking, i am new. i dont know much of the lingo yet.

cfd135
06-07-2010, 11:53 AM
ONR is 'Optimum No Rinse'. It's a product that allows for washing without a hose, and is very easy on the finish when done properly. Do a search, you'll find its use widespread here on AG.

Tracey29301
06-07-2010, 11:58 AM
oh ok- Optimum products are pretty good i have read. i do have their paint sealant and spray car wax. i will have to check the ONR out. thanks

So.Cal.
06-07-2010, 03:18 PM
I was in a hurry one day and decided to hit the touch free wash at the local Mobil. While inside the wash I saw a couple of large pieces of black something wash down the windshield. You could hear very clearly the high pressure against the roof and you can see it flex the hood when it washes over. This is on a 1972 Chevy, this isn't thin steel. When I pulled out of the car wash I opened the door and looked over the truck, two spots maybe as large as a soda can were missing paint and a few other spots. I went in and explained what happened to the clerk and showed him. I called Mobil Customer care on Monday (this happened Friday night around 9pm) I explained to the Woman what happened and was very clear. The truck has dings in it and a few chips. I'm not looking to get the whole thing painted I just want fixed what your car wash damaged. I received a letter a few weeks later stating their technicians found nothing wrong with the car wash and they would not reimburse me for damage. I could try to take them to court, but it’s a corporate store and I don't have the time to fight that kind of backing. My insurance would cover it and go after them if I want to fork out the deductable. But for right now I tried touching it up as I have bigger plans for the truck in a few years.
Point of my long rambling story is YES they can. Even though mine was aftermarket paint and several years old. They can damage trim, pin striping,Etc. even on new cars. One friend of mine who bought a new Camaro said the dealer gave him a paper from the factory that says Hand Wash Only.

Oh and one time I was at a Chevron and saw a friend of mine walk around the building soaking wet. When I laughed and asked if he walked through the car wash he stated "no... The brush just came through my windshield" I went and looked and his car was stuck in the wash with the brush sticking out of the windshield.

Good luck!

Wax Gorilla
06-07-2010, 04:09 PM
Yes don't even use a touchfree wash ! Most use recycled water that is not 100 % pure. These tiny particulates can pelt your finish and give it what I call "TOUCHFREE SPARKLE" where the tiny particles infact leave miniture hail type damage that takes away from 100 % reflective gloss.

A4 1.8tqm
06-07-2010, 04:54 PM
Another thing to mention is that the high pressure can cause damage to parts other than paint as well. Against my advice, a friend of mine decided to start going to a touch-less instead of hand washing with me in my driveway as usual. After 3-4 trips to the touch-less over a couple weeks he had water in a tail light and water in the foot well of the front passenger side. Could have been a coincidence, but I doubt it. Yes, I said "told you so" and no, he didn't laugh. Don't mean to be a D-Bag, I feel like it's always the same story with that guy... Told you so. :dunno:

Yes don't even use a touch-free wash ! Most use recycled water that is not 100 % pure. These tiny particulates can pelt your finish and give it what I call "TOUCH-FREE SPARKLE" where the tiny particles in fact leave miniature hail type damage that takes away from 100 % reflective gloss.

OOhhh sparkly! LOL, I'll stick with my buckets and my new Foam Cannon. :dblthumb2:

Old Tiger
06-07-2010, 06:11 PM
You're not missing anything, just don't let the guys towel-dry the vehicle at the end. Also, touch-free systems tend to use aggressive high and low ph wash soaps which can easily strip wax, if that is something you are concerned about.

Finally, they also use very high pressure for pre and post rinsing but nothing beats getting the dirt off by simply washing the car with a quality wash mitt/sponge and wash soap.

I feel that the touch-free car washes can be a very useful asset during harsh winters. Drive straight home, do an ONR wash and QD as necessary.
Totally agree regarding winter.

ScottB
06-07-2010, 07:10 PM
You wanna guage just how ineffective a touchless wash really is, just wipe the finish with a MF White Glove and it will boggle your mind.

RTexasF
06-07-2010, 07:10 PM
Yes don't even use a touchfree wash ! Most use recycled water that is not 100 % pure. These tiny particulates can pelt your finish and give it what I call "TOUCHFREE SPARKLE" where the tiny particles infact leave miniture hail type damage that takes away from 100 % reflective gloss.

That's a bit over the top don't you think? If used on occasion there's not a problem with it that I've ever seen other than it doesn't get the car very clean. If used excessively then there is a tiny possibility of imperceptible damage.

As if water from your bucket is 100% pure. PUHLEZZE, this is absolutely to the extreme end of things. This car was run through many touchless washes in its life, in fact on a weekly basis for a few years.. Do you see micro pits on it?

I'm not huge in favor of it I just find your comments a bit untrue......no offense intended at all.

alexjn1
06-08-2010, 01:48 PM
I use a touch fre car wash during the winter months to get the heavy stuff then go home and finish the job in my garage with a portable heater turned on.

I have to agree with killrwheels on the MF towel observation. There always seems to be a thin dirty film left on my truck after using a car wash.

I go home and finish with ONR then follow up with QD and a liquid spray wax.

This is only during the winter months however.

So.Cal.
06-08-2010, 02:01 PM
I don't know about 100% pure but here in CA I think its mandatory to Recycle the water, I have been too a few that the water defiantly has an odor.