PDA

View Full Version : Need more Menzerna cut - bird shiite

vern1
06-06-2010, 08:05 PM
Polished my car a couple of weeks ago - Menzerna Power Finish with a green pad, then POO85RD with a blue pad, then KAIO plus the sealant with the black pad. Results were much improved but to be honest there is still some spider webbing etc. Also used the Flex 3401 for this.

Had some bird crap on my car for about 2 days when I was away (1996 Porsche, black). Tried claying, KAIO - didnt work. Used the Power Finish - 4 passes with the Flex but the etching is still there!!!

So since I would like to remove the bird etchings and ultimately redo the car to remove ant webbing etc do I go with a more aggresive polish (Power Gloss?) and/or more aggressive pad (orange?)

Thanks

cobalt9123
06-06-2010, 10:40 PM
Yes, a more aggressive pad or polish will be required. Just make sure to strip the paint and do a test spot to get the paint perfect. Make sure to do an IPA wipedown or dawn wash when done polishing to make sure you see the true condition of the paint!

maximus20895
06-06-2010, 10:46 PM
I head dawn dries it out?

cobalt9123
06-06-2010, 11:13 PM
I head dawn dries it out?

Prolonged dawn washing does dry paint out. Dawn isn't recommended for regular use because it strips the paint of it's protection and oils. This will dry the paint out if used regularly and the oils are not replaced. However, it is very useful for when you WANT to strip the wax/oils (before polishing, inbetween polishing steps) because you don't want them on there at that point. They will inhibit your polishing and ultimately your final results. There are many alternatives to using Dawn: High concentration of about any car soap, Chemical Guys makes some great products for this, and some people use diluted APC for stripping wax/oils.

vern1
06-09-2010, 01:40 PM
OK, I ordered the Power Gloss compound and a yellow cutting pad. Hopefully that can rid the quarter panel of the dreaded bird shiite marks!!

Will make sure I use the IPA wipe down to check as I think that was part of the problem before. It looks great after wiping off the polish but I didnt clean out the fillers with the IPA to check the final polished product

Thanks

WRAPT C5Z06
06-09-2010, 01:44 PM
OK, I ordered the Power Gloss compound and a yellow cutting pad. Hopefully that can rid the quarter panel of the dreaded bird shiite marks!!

Will make sure I use the IPA wipe down to check as I think that was part of the problem before. It looks great after wiping off the polish but I didnt clean out the fillers with the IPA to check the final polished product

Thanks
ding ding.

vern1
06-09-2010, 07:27 PM
Learn something new all the time.....

Another question. After the Power Gloss, can i go straight to the PO85RD or do i need to go to the Power Finish then the 85?? I suppose the right answer is to see how it looks and then go from there. Any one with experience on this?

Thanks