PDA

View Full Version : Micro-maring with Tangerine pad

Pages : [1] 2

SgtDeckard
06-06-2010, 11:04 AM
I just got around to trying the LC Tangerine pad this weekend and had disastrous results. I was trying to clean up some light swirls on my 98 Honda Accord (red) using PC LC tangerine pad and Menzerna (http://www.autopia.org/forum/autolink.php?id=417&script=showthread&forumid=105) Final Polish (http://www.autopia.org/forum/autolink.php?id=439&script=showthread&forumid=105) II. What I ended up with is some serious micro maring that looked like clouds of tiny swirls.

Now i've used the PC plenty of times before without ever running into this issue. I ended up switching to Menzerna (http://www.autopia.org/forum/autolink.php?id=417&script=showthread&forumid=105) IP to clear out the micro maring but it didnt get rid of everything.

Could someone shed some light on what is going on? I followed correct procedure...primed the pad (5.5 inch), spread the product, speed on 5 - 6, stopped when product went clear.

Please help.

WRAPT C5Z06
06-06-2010, 11:13 AM
I just got around to trying the LC Tangerine pad this weekend and had disastrous results. I was trying to clean up some light swirls on my 98 Honda Accord (red) using PC LC tangerine pad and Menzerna (http://www.autopia.org/forum/autolink.php?id=417&script=showthread&forumid=105) Final Polish (http://www.autopia.org/forum/autolink.php?id=439&script=showthread&forumid=105) II. What I ended up with is some serious micro maring that looked like clouds of tiny swirls.

Now i've used the PC plenty of times before without ever running into this issue. I ended up switching to Menzerna (http://www.autopia.org/forum/autolink.php?id=417&script=showthread&forumid=105) IP to clear out the micro maring but it didnt get rid of everything.

Could someone shed some light on what is going on? I followed correct procedure...primed the pad (5.5 inch), spread the product, speed on 5 - 6, stopped when product went clear.

Please help.
I've tried hydro-tech cyan and tangerine pads. I think they're claim of finishing a lot better than open cell foam pads isn't true. They do finish better, but definitely not marr free. I'd say what your seeing is normal. Follow up with a white or gray pad and a finer polish.

SgtDeckard
06-06-2010, 11:15 AM
I've tried hydro-tech cyan and tangerine pads. I think they're claim of finishing a lot better than open cell foam pads isn't true. They do finish better, but definitely not marr free. I'd say what your seeing is normal. Follow up with a white or gray pad and a finer polish.

Thank you very much for the reply 07. What is finer then FPII?

WRAPT C5Z06
06-06-2010, 11:18 AM
Thank you very much for the reply 07. What is finer then FPII?
Actually, FP II is very fine(I mis-read, I thought it was something else). Try a gray pad with Final Polish II. It should help, but if your paint is really soft, sometimes it's not possible to finish completely marr free. However, if the marring is reduced to being very light, a coat of wax will cover it up. Menzerna 85rd is finer than FPII, but not by very much at all.

SgtDeckard
06-06-2010, 11:22 AM
Ok excellent advice. Do you suggest the CCS grey pad or regular flat?

Out of curiosity, why do you think the IP helped get rid of the micromaring that FPII made?

WRAPT C5Z06
06-06-2010, 11:29 AM
Ok excellent advice. Do you suggest the CCS grey pad or regular flat?

Out of curiosity, why do you think the IP helped get rid of the micromaring that FPII made?
With a PC, flat pads are better to work with, but CCS will get the job done too. I like using CCS pads because they are smoother on the paint, IMO.

I'm a bit confused as to why IP got rid of some of he micro-marring when it's actually a more aggressive polish. I would think the marring would be even worse with IP. Go back and use FP II and see if the marring gets worse again. Hydro-tech pads don't finish very well on soft paint, in my experince. They do a lot better on hard paint.

ASPHALT ROCKET
06-06-2010, 11:30 AM
You want to use a flat pad with a da.

WRAPT C5Z06
06-06-2010, 11:34 AM
You want to use a flat pad with a da.
Dana,

Why do you think when he went back with IP and the same pad, the marring got better? I would think that going to a more aggressive polish, the marring would get worse.

WRAPT C5Z06
06-06-2010, 11:38 AM
BTW, SgtDeckard, asphalt rocket knows his stuff. For future reference, I'd always listen to his advice.

Mike Phillips
06-06-2010, 11:56 AM
What I ended up with is some serious micro marring that looked like clouds of tiny swirls.

Is the micro-marring over the entire car or just a test spot?

For what it's worth, paints are not all the same, what works great on one paint system might work great on another paint system but it might not? That's why it's important to do a test spot and make sure you're getting the results you want and hope for from your choice of,

Pad
Product
Process (This is the manner in which you apply the product either by hand or by machine and if by machine the type of machine(s)
Skill level and experience

Once you dial in a process that works perfectly to one area you can then proceed with confidence to buff out the entire car.

:)

SgtDeckard
06-06-2010, 03:18 PM
@Mike - Agreed and made sure to only do a test spot. The micro-marring is only on the test spot. I know you sell these products have you ever come across this? Also, is there anything in the pc-polishing process that would create this type of outcome? IE: moving too fast, not letting product break down, etc.

Thanks for the advice 07 & asphalt. I will grab a white and grey pad and try the FPII again. The last time I used the FPII on the Honda was about 2 years ago with a LC White pad and had great results. All signs are pointing to the pad.

PS - the FPII I used is about 5 years old...would that play any part in this? What really sucks is I bought two of these Tangerine pads....no clue what to do with them now.

Mike Phillips
06-06-2010, 03:25 PM
@Mike - Agreed and made sure to only do a test spot. The micro-marring is only on the test spot. Any advice on the problem?

Thank goodness!

Try a different polishing or finishing pad do another test and then check the results to see if it finishes out nicer...

For you last few passes bring your pressure up, you can move the polisher a little faster and don't buff to a complete dry buff...

PS - the FPII I used is about 5 years old...would that play any part in this?

Should be okay if after you shake it well it has a,

Uniform appearance
Uniform consistency

I shouldn't look watery or be separated.

Couldn't hurt to restock with some fresh product...

:)

SgtDeckard
06-06-2010, 06:49 PM
@Mike You suggest the LC White or Grey w/FPII?

I'm so turned off by the FPII/Tangerine that I may try out some SSR. Would SSR1 and a white LC pad be enough to remove the haze/micro-marring?

ASPHALT ROCKET
06-06-2010, 07:11 PM
Oh no, stick with the Menzerna. The pad is probably the problem. Plus since no one has mentioned it, I believe you said it was a Honda, they have soft paint. I would use some regular flat pads and go from there.

DARK HORSE
06-06-2010, 07:47 PM
[QUOTE=SgtDeckard;323549

PS - the FPII I used is about 5 years old...would that play any part in this? What really sucks is I bought two of these Tangerine pads....no clue what to do with them now.QUOTE]

I'll take 'em off your hands. Send me a PM if your interested in working something out! As already stated they may not work well on some softer paints...But for some harder paints, they are awesome!