PDA

View Full Version : PC vs. High speed rotary

Cross
11-03-2006, 04:31 PM
It seems alot of folks here use exclusivly the PC, and seem to get excellent results. I have both a PC and rotary and always reach for the rotary for almost any paint correction. What is the reason for lack of rotary use? How long does it take to do moderate scratch removal with the PC on a mid-sized car?

abrcrombe
11-03-2006, 05:05 PM
We mostly use the PC because it is more safer. A beginner with a rotary may not get the job done without any damage, but put a PC in his/her hand and they will get some results. It usually takes a couple hours to do scratch removal on a mid size car... anywhere from like 4-6 hours depending on how bad they really are.

Totoland Mach
11-03-2006, 05:11 PM
I started with a pc some years ago, and now work with a rotary at the shop. The shop owner taught me how to use the tool correctly and gave me a bunch of confidence.

That said, a pc will do a lot of scratch removal, but will take significantly longer to work out the finish. It is safe, easy to use, and there are lots of pad/product combo's to play with.

Now, I use a rotary for compounding and glazing, then use a pc for light polishing and wax application.

Toto

Jonboy
11-03-2006, 05:18 PM
As already said the pc is a safer tool to use so it's a good starting point then when you've gained some confidence you can move on to a rotary

Kelso
11-03-2006, 05:42 PM
the rotary poses a high amount of risk. you can cause some heavy swirling, burn the paint, whatever... the pc is virtually risk free in that sense. so if somebody is working on other people cars, its hard to say um hey im gonn have to pay to repaint your car...sorry man...

or even if working on your own car you dont wanna cause any damage. i have a PC now and i am beginning to look into buying a rotary so i can correct paint quickly...time is money

ScottB
11-03-2006, 07:09 PM
If you start a great detailing regimine from day one, your car will never need more than a good polish with a PC. Start 'em young I say !!

Cross
11-03-2006, 09:59 PM
Killr is right. In a perfect world everyone would maintain their cars like auto geeks. But Kelso hit the nail on the head "time is money."
It seems risk of damage is everyones biggest fear. I went through the same thing. I don't know how many of you all are detailers but getting comfortable with a rotary is a money making experience.
I had the opportunity to spent a couple of hours with Aaron from Edge Pads at a demonstration and learned a ton about rotary, He is an awesome guy and if you all get an opportunity to talk with him do it.
He gave me the idea to go to body shops and ask for hoods or fenders to practice with. Much to my surprise panels were given to me just for asking. I recommend doing that to really get the hang of a rotary. You can experiment with pads and compounds with out worrying about messing up. I even did stuff to try to burn the paint and its isn't that easy to do if you keep the pad flat and a reasonable speed.

Kelso
11-03-2006, 10:15 PM
when i get one im going to get some panels like that and intentionally burn the paint and do all kinds of bad stuff just so i know how to mess up, what not to do. so....anybody tries to mess with me or something.....ill do a little polishing on their vehicle for free in the dark;)

oh come on, like you havent thought of it!

Torsion Tool
11-04-2006, 01:31 PM
Don't think I'll resort to midnight practice sessions on the neighborhood cars, but experience helps reduce application time with either machine. Am more comfortable with a rotary but out of practice so I spend more time working the PC. Still haven't mastered it (too much pressure, not enough product, uneven surfaces...), but at least I will "Do no more harm" in the process. Just need to get through another year or so before repainting the entire vehicle.

ryandamartini
11-04-2006, 02:06 PM
Killr is right. In a perfect world everyone would maintain their cars like auto geeks. But Kelso hit the nail on the head "time is money."
It seems risk of damage is everyones biggest fear. I went through the same thing. I don't know how many of you all are detailers but getting comfortable with a rotary is a money making experience.
I had the opportunity to spent a couple of hours with Aaron from Edge Pads at a demonstration and learned a ton about rotary, He is an awesome guy and if you all get an opportunity to talk with him do it.
He gave me the idea to go to body shops and ask for hoods or fenders to practice with. Much to my surprise panels were given to me just for asking. I recommend doing that to really get the hang of a rotary. You can experiment with pads and compounds with out worrying about messing up. I even did stuff to try to burn the paint and its isn't that easy to do if you keep the pad flat and a reasonable speed.

Regardless the very first time you use a rotary for a job or a full polish youll be nervous as hell ;)

Not saying its a bad tool, both polishers have their places, but I would strongly recommend learning the PC first and become skilled with it. It will definately help you learn how to hold and control a polisher, and putting pressure on for various compounds, etc.

sparkie
11-04-2006, 07:08 PM
I'm stepping up to a rotary, just can't figured out which pads I need.

Cross, nice truck. You got bigger pics of it?