PDA

View Full Version : What speed for 7424??

MONSTERMATT
06-03-2010, 01:38 PM
Using SSR2.5 (PB) with an orange pad and would like to know what speed to apply it? In addition what speed will i use to apply PB black hole with the grey or blue pad? And here are the steps , let me know what you think

PB Black Hole

PB SSR 2.5 with orange pad

PB EX-P Sealant

All done with 7424

Pockets@PoorboysWorld
06-03-2010, 01:44 PM
Using SSR2.5 (PB) with an orange pad and would like to know what speed to apply it? In addition what speed will i use to apply PB black hole with the grey or blue pad? And here are the steps , let me know what you think

PB Black Hole Speed 1 or 2 (finishing pad)

PB SSR 2.5 with orange pad Speed 5 or 6

PB EX-P Sealant Speed 1 or 2 (finishing pad)

All done with 7424

Answers in Red

The BH and the EX-P are just getting applied they don't have to be "worked" into the finish per say like a compound does (the 2.5) so therefore they will be at lower speeds.

Just a quick little tip....... tap the pad with the product around the panel you are going to be working on and than give a quick pass on a low speed like 1 than crank it up and work. It just helps reduce sling and ensures that you get even coverage of the panel.

I've also noticed that you don't have a follow up step after the 2.5. Are you going to use something like SSR 1 or Pro Polish to finish it up before the BH and EX-P?

MONSTERMATT
06-03-2010, 03:56 PM
so i should use SSR1 after the 2.5? should i use the orange pad for that too, or just the white like i have been? so that would be the following steps;
Black hole
SSR2.5
SSR1
PB EX-P

Is this correct??

RTexasF
06-03-2010, 04:22 PM

PB Black Hole

PB SSR 2.5 with orange pad

PB EX-P Sealant

All done with 7424

If you do it in the order listed above then it's wrong. Assuming you have washed and clayed, it would be SSR 2.5 with a WHITE pad, orange only if absolutely necessary.

That will likely need to be followed by SSR 1 with a white pad.

Then Black hole

Then EX-P

MONSTERMATT
06-03-2010, 09:46 PM
OK then,
SSR 2.5 orange pad speed 5-6
SSR 1 white pad speed 5-6
Black Hole grey or blue pad speed 1
PB EX-P grey speed 1

I' am looking at using the orange because the paint has several scratches and some swirls from the prior owner i dont think the orange can hurt so im gonna try it, however i do have a green pad if any of you think that is an option. Any and all opinions welcome THANKS !!!!

rohnramirez
06-04-2010, 12:08 AM
i'm telling you that pad isn't going to spin on speed 1. you will understand what i mean once it touches the paint. My XP even has trouble spinning a 5.5 blue on speed3, so i use speed 4 on wax/sealant applications.

Alex Boyce
06-04-2010, 01:23 AM
I've got no problem with mine at speed 3 for wax/sealant/glaze, when I don't apply any pressure on the pad it spins just fine, I think its even kinda quick for me....1 is slow thats for sure.

Dubbin1
06-04-2010, 10:43 AM
i'm telling you that pad isn't going to spin on speed 1. you will understand what i mean once it touches the paint. My XP even has trouble spinning a 5.5 blue on speed3, so i use speed 4 on wax/sealant applications.

:iagree:

Pockets@PoorboysWorld
06-04-2010, 11:13 AM

With the PC it doesn't have to spin the way it works is just uses a random orbit and that is achieved without any rotation just jiggles. No need to go that fast to apply a LSP think about when you do it by hand how slow you just go over the panel and usually hit one spot maybe 3 times all together. Little overkill on speed 3 and may have ill effects with heat build up or just overwork the product. Just my .02

MONSTERMATT
06-04-2010, 12:14 PM
The PC hasnt ever presented a problem spinning a grey on setting 1 for sealant applications, perhaps you are using something other than the 7424 PC

Mike Phillips
06-06-2010, 12:31 PM
Just to chime in...

The only time you need a pad rotating is if you're doing correction work, that's when paint is remove best and the way you remove or "correct" the swirls, scratches and water spots out of paint is by removing a little bit of it to level or flatten out the surface.

If you're using a CLEANER/WAX and the purpose of using the cleaner/wax is to correct the paint while leaving it sealed in one step, then first you would want to use a cleaner/wax with abrading ability and second you would want to use the 5.0 to 6.0 speed setting because for this type of procedure you want to use the cleaner/wax to remove a little paint, so you want the pad rotating.

If you're not correcting paint then just about every other process can be done at the 5.0 speed setting or lower. At this point is more about personal preference than who's right and who's wrong. Of course paying attention to manufactures recommendations goes without saying, but from the point of view of what's taking place at the surface level, then find a speed setting from 5.0 or lower and you're good to go.

I like to apply my LSP's, whatever they may be, at the 4.0 to 5.0 speed setting depending upon pad size.

I like to apply non-abrasive polishes at the 4.0 to 5.0 speed setting.

I like to apply light cleaner/polishes or swirl mark removers at the 5.0 to 6.0 speed setting, just depends if I"m trying to remove defects or spread a product out, these are the two basic things a DA Polisher will do.

I rarely use anything below the 3.0 speed setting not because of pad rotation issues specifically but because I feel/think/know the pad moves-over-the-paint better and easier at a higher setting than a lower setting. At the low setting it always feels like the pad is lagging behind as I'm trying to move the polisher forward, I like the pad to keep up with me...

Test for yourself some day, put on a finishing or polishing pad and use either a non cleaning wax or paint sealant or non-abrasive polish and run your polisher over a horizontal surface at low speed and at higher speeds and see which speed settings the polisher seemingly seems to move over the paint easier. Make up your own mind.

:)