PDA

View Full Version : Other Acrylic Sealant brands

rohnramirez
06-02-2010, 03:50 AM
Hi everyone. What other acrylic paint sealant brands have you tried aside from KAIO/KHGSG combo?

And has anyone tried the CG FS Acrylic Paint Sealant? TIA.

Munich77
06-02-2010, 01:01 PM
I have tried Menzerna FMJ and I think BFWD is acrylic based too.

AeroCleanse
06-02-2010, 02:22 PM
I'm trying a product called Aquartz, which says its a hybrid-quartz sealant.

Lasthope05
06-02-2010, 06:06 PM
Jeff Werkstatt is acrylic based.

Old Tiger
06-02-2010, 07:04 PM
I think CG Jet Seal is an acrylic variant after deciphering their overblown mumbo jumbo marketing BS. I didnt like it as much as UPGP or BFWD.

Rsurfer
06-02-2010, 07:06 PM
Wet Glaze 2.0 is acrylic based.

rohnramirez
06-02-2010, 08:02 PM
I'm planning to try other brands which is the reason i asked. I just want to have an option available in place of KAIO/HGSG. How did you guys find those products? Well i guess Jetseal is out of the question now, thanks Tiger.

DARK HORSE
06-02-2010, 08:37 PM
I'm planning to try other brands which is the reason i asked. I just want to have an option available in place of KAIO/HGSG. How did you guys find those products? Well i guess Jetseal is out of the question now, thanks Tiger.

Try to Google them Rohn.

rohnramirez
06-02-2010, 09:28 PM
Thanks, Tad. I did, i got a bunch but the only product i came across that i trusted was that of CG. I also saw some stuff from China and a lot on ebay. lol.

Munich77
06-03-2010, 07:52 AM
I think most synthetic sealants are acrylic based. Just take a look at the sealant list sold by autopia - plenty of choices there.

akimel
06-03-2010, 09:06 AM
Perhaps of interest to chemistry majors is the following information provided by David Ghodoussi of Optimum Car Care in response to a question about the Klasse and Werkstatt sealants:

Thank you for your question. I try to answer this without too much technical jargon. The products you mentioned contain polyethylene-acrylic acid which is still a polymer yet very different from what is used in the Optimum line. Polyethylene is the base in these products which is also used in candle making. The acrylic acid portion will provide substantivity which in turn results in durability versus just using polyehtylene based products.

The main difference with the polymers we use vs polyethylene-acrylics is that there is no cross-linking with polyethylene-acrylics. However, with the polymers we use, they will cross-link and cure within 24 hours to create a 3-dimensional matrix. This is valid for the Optimum Car Wax, Poli-Seal, and Opti-Seal. The latter cures much faster due to new technologies that we developed over the past two years.

Another benefit is cross-linking between layers so that if you add a layer of Opti-Seal or Optimum Car Wax on top of Opti-Seal, Poli-Seal, or Optimum Car Wax it wil bond to the previous layer(s). This can not be done with polyethylene-acrylics since there is no cross-linking capability in this technology.

The one advantage polyehtylene-acrylics offer is that since they are acidic by natue, they hold up better to acid rain, however, at the same time since they are acidic, they can cause minor etching of the paint. All and all, for the above reasons, our entire line is free of polyehtylene-acrylics and therefore all of the products in the Optimum line are compatible with each other.

I did not realize that acrylic sealants (and I guess that most synthetic sealants contain polyethylene-acrylic acid) do not "cross-link," so this was new to me. I don't know if this is important, but I thought I'd pass it on.

rohnramirez
06-04-2010, 12:26 AM
Ooooh..! Thanks for sharing. I also never knew that. I always thought it depended if the choice of sealant contained cleaners.

Does this mean multiple coats of Acrylic sealants aren't applicable since they don't crosslink? Any chemist out there..lol.

CEE DOG
06-04-2010, 06:56 AM
Perhaps of interest to chemistry majors is the following information provided by David Ghodoussi of Optimum Car Care in response to a question about the Klasse and Werkstatt sealants:

I did not realize that acrylic sealants (and I guess that most synthetic sealants contain polyethylene-acrylic acid) do not "cross-link," so this was new to me. I don't know if this is important, but I thought I'd pass it on.

Very interesting- Thanks for sharing!!
If Dr. G is talking I'm listening.

Ooooh..! Thanks for sharing. I also never knew that. I always thought it depended if the choice of sealant contained cleaners.

Does this mean multiple coats of Acrylic sealants aren't applicable since they don't crosslink? Any chemist out there..lol.
Dr. G (David Ghodoussi is a chemist)