PDA

View Full Version : Burned the edge of my paint with a DA. *PIC*

Pages : [1] 2

WRAPT C5Z06
06-01-2010, 12:31 PM
I decided to go along all edges and remove wax/polish that may have been left behind from previous sessions. As I was looking closely and cleaning the edges, as you can see, I burned the edge on half the panel my hatch. It came back to me that and I remember aggressively attacking this same area with my polisher. It doesn't really bother me because it's impossible to notice unless you're looking for it and look very closely. It's a lot more noticeable in the pic than in person. Thank God I didn't burn through the middle of a panel. :eek: This is just a reminder to be extremely careful when polishing around the edges, even with a DA!

http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss189/brewinz_2009/005-2.jpg

Mindflux
06-01-2010, 12:35 PM
Yikes sorry to hear. Just goes to show how thin paint/clear is on edges.

christian900se
06-01-2010, 12:39 PM
Ouch, DAs are extremely safe in most cases but not all and definately is not to be underestimated. I have done the same thing on my car with my PC and a finishing polish/pad and even though it was a learning experience, it is a learning experience I could do without on my own car haha. I cringed when I saw silver paint in the pictures, then I knew it was the Vette!

WRAPT C5Z06
06-01-2010, 12:46 PM
Ouch, DAs are extremely safe in most cases but not all and definately is not to be underestimated. I have done the same thing on my car with my PC and a finishing polish/pad and even though it was a learning experience, it is a learning experience I could do without on my own car haha. I cringed when I saw silver paint in the pictures, then I knew it was the Vette!
Yeah. :(

Anyhow, you're right, it's definitely a learning experience, but it could have been a lot worse(trying to take the postive from a negative). If I never went back closely looking for wax, I would have never noticed. Now that I have, I don't want anyone else to make the same mistake.

mcpp66
06-01-2010, 12:57 PM
I usually polish over the edges of my Camaro using a DA with reckless abandon.......I won't be doing that anymore. Thanks for the reminder of what can happen.

Lasthope05
06-01-2010, 01:05 PM
That sucks. You sure learned about polishing edges the hard way did. Luckily it's in a inconspicuous area and not something like the fender arches where there is usually two edges right next to each other.

WRAPT C5Z06
06-01-2010, 01:06 PM
That sucks. You sure learned about polishing edges the hard way did. Luckily it's in a inconspicuous area and not something like the fender arches where there is usually two edges right next to each other.
Absolutely!

D0ughB0y
06-01-2010, 01:11 PM
I can't see anything...

tuscarora dave
06-01-2010, 01:18 PM
I can't see anything...
Look at the edge just above the rubber seal.

Sorry to hear that you cut through on the edge. There are a few spots on my car where I did that while still in the initial learning curve using both the cyclo and the rotary.

D0ughB0y
06-01-2010, 01:29 PM
Look at the edge just above the rubber seal.

Sorry to hear that you cut through on the edge. There are a few spots on my car where I did that while still in the initial learning curve using both the cyclo and the rotary.

D'oh. Now I see it. That sucks, but at least it isn't really that bad.

So.Cal.
06-01-2010, 01:56 PM
Damn, sorry to see that.

What size pads/machine combo were you using?

WRAPT C5Z06
06-01-2010, 02:03 PM
Damn, sorry to see that.

What size pads/machine combo were you using?
Thanks.

I used Griots 6" ROP and 5.5" pads. Don't exactly remember which pad. I no longer have the Griots, I now have the Flex 3401.

Mindflux
06-01-2010, 02:06 PM
Thanks.

I used Griots 6" ROP and 5.5" pads. Don't exactly remember which pad. I no longer have the Griots, I now have the Flex 3401.

What's your thoughts on the GG ROP vs 3401. If this is off topic from this subject but you'd like to discuss them I'd love to hear your thoughts you are welcome to PM me. (or if I can PM you with permission)

:dblthumb2:

Mike Phillips
06-01-2010, 02:26 PM
Paint is almost always thinner on edges and raised body lines... from my articles list...

Best Practices
Best Practice - Avoid buffing on top of body lines and edges (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/rough-draft/20168-best-practice-avoid-buffing-top-body-lines-edges.html)

A little touch-up paint and no one will ever know...

:)

A4 1.8tqm
06-01-2010, 02:44 PM
Ouch, I learned my lesson the same way, by making the mistake. Fortunately it was on a car that really doesn't matter, and now I know that you really do need to be very careful on edges.

It's not a mistake unless you fail to learn from it. :xyxthumbs:

A little touch-up paint and no one will ever know...

:)

Any tips on applying touch-up to an edge like that and have it look OK? I guess it just takes a very steady hand, I tend to "play" with it too much and end up making it look sloppy.
TIA :cheers: