PDA

View Full Version : How long can products last when the car is an enclosed garage?

Blackthorn One
05-31-2010, 07:34 PM
I know that waxes are said to last 2-3 months, but I'm assuming that is when it is parked outside. What if the car is kept in an enclosed garage constantly? In my case, the car is in CA in a non climate controlled garage. What about rubber products, as well. I ask this, because being in the garage, the car always looks the same, regardless of time passed, other than some dust. The car is also covered with a soft cotton car cover as well. I've always been curious about this. Does the wax simply oxidize away, without being exposed to sunlight?

CEE DOG
05-31-2010, 10:00 PM
I know that waxes are said to last 2-3 months, but I'm assuming that is when it is parked outside. What if the car is kept in an enclosed garage constantly? In my case, the car is in CA in a non climate controlled garage. What about rubber products, as well. I ask this, because being in the garage, the car always looks the same, regardless of time passed, other than some dust. The car is also covered with a soft cotton car cover as well. I've always been curious about this. Does the wax simply oxidize away, without being exposed to sunlight?

Based on the assumption that you are not performing tasks that involve bleach chlorine or other harsh chemicals your biggest enemy in an enclosed non climate controlled garage is likely to be humidity. I think a quality wax on your paint would probably last over a year if it's never being washed or driven unless the humidity is something outrageous or their are other activities in the garage that somehow compromise the wax. Also not sure where you live but extreme temperature changes, extreme heat, and unsavory dew points will take a toll.

If left un-protected the rubber will deteriorate. The interior vinyl will get like a white oxidation type layer on them over time (say maybe 6 months to a year). Use some 303 AP on those and they will stay fresh for a fair amount of time.

Blackthorn One
05-31-2010, 11:29 PM
Based on the assumption that you are not performing tasks that involve bleach chlorine or other harsh chemicals your biggest enemy in an enclosed non climate controlled garage is likely to be humidity. I think a quality wax on your paint would probably last over a year if it's never being washed or driven unless the humidity is something outrageous or their are other activities in the garage that somehow compromise the wax. Also not sure where you live but extreme temperature changes, extreme heat, and unsavory dew points will take a toll.

If left un-protected the rubber will deteriorate. The interior vinyl will get like a white oxidation type layer on them over time (say maybe 6 months to a year). Use some 303 AP on those and they will stay fresh for a fair amount of time.
As I said, I live in California. The humidity is pretty low here. The car is driven once a year at the most. The temp is usually between 60 and 90 F, rarely getting up to 100 or as low as 45.

oldmodman
06-01-2010, 02:33 AM
I had a car that was garaged in a single car garage under a flannel cover and covered with a plastic sheet draped over it to keep dust off of the flannel cover. Before being put up it had been carefully washed, clayed, and a three product Zaino job done to it. When it was taken out of the garage EIGHT YEARS LATER it was perfect. I spent about a day pre oiling the engine, new plugs, replaced the coolant etc. It started and ran perfectly. It looked just as good as the day it was stored. And all the rubber was just as fresh feeling as the day it was stored.

Fly bye
06-01-2010, 02:38 AM
In Nor Cal, near the coast, the temps can be in the 80's to the 90's (May-September) during the day with low humidity, while at night, the temps can drop down to the low 50's - high 40's at near 100% humidity.

My garage obviously has huge temp fluctuations, but is dry for the most part. Even if the dew point is reached, (100% humidity) I've never seen moisture inside the garage since it is pretty well sealed (at least enough) from the outside elements.

My garage gets hot enough during the day in the summer months, that eventually the wax will evaporate over time. It was 117 degree's in Sonoma, CA in August of 2006.

How long will wax last on a car that is parked inside of a garage 24 hours a day, is driven rarely and rarely washed? I've never kept track, but it would depend upon the type of product you are using. I would think at least 3-6 months, probably longer.

Fly bye
06-01-2010, 02:44 AM
I use a product called Shin Etsu grease for all the rubber on my car. I do this once a year, although it should be more like twice a year. I have a roadster, so there is a lot of rubber sealing.

CEE DOG
06-01-2010, 06:15 AM
As I said, I live in California. The humidity is pretty low here. The car is driven once a year at the most. The temp is usually between 60 and 90 F, rarely getting up to 100 or as low as 45.

Sorry about that! I read your thread and logged off. When I saw it later I replied without re-reading it... forgot you said that. Then again I might have thought you meant Canada. :)

I had a car that was garaged in a single car garage under a flannel cover and covered with a plastic sheet draped over it to keep dust off of the flannel cover. Before being put up it had been carefully washed, clayed, and a three product Zaino job done to it. When it was taken out of the garage EIGHT YEARS LATER it was perfect. I spent about a day pre oiling the engine, new plugs, replaced the coolant etc. It started and ran perfectly. It looked just as good as the day it was stored. And all the rubber was just as fresh feeling as the day it was stored.

Wow, 8 years? Did you apply anything to the interior before you stored it? Did you add anything to the gas?

oldmodman
06-01-2010, 01:57 PM
Wow, 8 years? Did you apply anything to the interior before you stored it? Did you add anything to the gas?

Yes, the gas was filled to the top after a triple dose of StaBil had been added. As to the interior other than cleaning all surfaces and a wipe down with a Meguiars preservative (I no longer remember what I used) The seats were wiped down with Meguiars leather wipes.

rohnramirez
06-02-2010, 04:12 AM
Storing a car for that long would entail me to do a lot of things especially if a weekly engine warm up wasn't done. Too many to mention..lol. And running an EFI engine on 8yr old gas sounds like trouble, so i would be draining the tank too.

Sorry for the offtopic but, what's a StaBil? just curious.

Blackthorn One
06-02-2010, 05:23 AM
Storing a car for that long would entail me to do a lot of things especially if a weekly engine warm up wasn't done. Too many to mention..lol. And running an EFI engine on 8yr old gas sounds like trouble, so i would be draining the tank too.

Sorry for the offtopic but, what's a StaBil? just curious.
StaBil is a fuel additive that prevents the gasoline from turning to varnish in the fuel system and gumming it up. It is used when you store a car for a long time. As an aside, another important thing to do is prevent battery leakage. Ive had it happen on two cars. Ruined the chrome on one and ironically ate through the supposedly battery acid proof paint I applied to the battery box. I now run Optima batteries in all my cars, which has a gel inside instead of a liquid, which is held in by coils of some sort of fabric. It won't leak even if punctured. Plus, it weighs a lot less than lead acid batteries, too. I've gotten 8 years out of an Optima battery with a charger kept on it, when the car was driven regularly, as in once to 3 times per week. I highly recommend them. Expensive, but worth it.