PDA

View Full Version : Optimum "new" polishes and Hyper Compound (no spray questions)

Mindflux
05-31-2010, 07:09 PM
Can someone fill me in on how these changed? I still see hyper compound on retailer sites but not on optimums own page. Is this a discontinued product? Did Polish II take it's place?

Lasthope05
05-31-2010, 07:21 PM
Polish II replaced the original optimum polish. With that being said, I believe Hyper compound is being replaced with its new updated and sprayable formula.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f42/uZa/newoptHYP.jpg

Mindflux
05-31-2010, 07:48 PM
Great. Half the compound for the same price. (more actually)

Chris Thomas
05-31-2010, 10:25 PM
you didn't like them anyway so why beatch?

Mindflux
05-31-2010, 10:36 PM
I've never used the OPT compounds. I like optibond and OPP and ONR. Not a fan of this "permanent" sealant though. Too much hype.

Chris Thomas
05-31-2010, 11:15 PM
Dang, man I hear you on the coating. Not at all that I don't like it because I like it very much. But, the hype for months and months probably left a bad taste in some peoples mouth. The problem was (in my opinion) that those who helped test and develop it were like a kid with a new toy, and really excited to share it with the community. Dr. G being the perfectionist that he is didn't want to release it till it was as good as he could make it. So the time between announcing it and releasing it was ill planned. That being said, the coating is really nice and does all that it claims. It goes on as easy as Optiseal and lasts 3+ years. The only thing "permanent" about it is that it must be polished off. Many of us have no use for this because we like the glow of fresh nuba and actually enjoy maintaining our finish. But for some it is a killer option and a very innovative product. Protection that lasts and easier washing of all surfaces including wheels is a huge plus for those once a year detail people. Even if you never use it on a car you should consider using it on wheels, I know you'd love it for heavy brake dust applications.

Mindflux
06-01-2010, 07:58 AM
Dang, man I hear you on the coating. Not at all that I don't like it because I like it very much. But, the hype for months and months probably left a bad taste in some peoples mouth. The problem was (in my opinion) that those who helped test and develop it were like a kid with a new toy, and really excited to share it with the community. Dr. G being the perfectionist that he is didn't want to release it till it was as good as he could make it. So the time between announcing it and releasing it was ill planned. That being said, the coating is really nice and does all that it claims. It goes on as easy as Optiseal and lasts 3+ years. The only thing "permanent" about it is that it must be polished off. Many of us have no use for this because we like the glow of fresh nuba and actually enjoy maintaining our finish. But for some it is a killer option and a very innovative product. Protection that lasts and easier washing of all surfaces including wheels is a huge plus for those once a year detail people. Even if you never use it on a car you should consider using it on wheels, I know you'd love it for heavy brake dust applications.

Well I'm not sure how long the coating has been "official" as far as the final formula goes, but I guess we'll see how it holds up in 2-3 years. ;)

That and the whole "you gotta have a business license and blah blah" to even buy it, that's a bit hinky too, but whatever.

Lasthope05
06-01-2010, 11:31 AM
Well you dont need a business license to buy it anymore. All you need to do is sign a wavier for it. Pretty much anybody can by it now, but since all the hype is gone you dont really hear much about it anymore.

Mindflux
06-01-2010, 12:19 PM
Well you dont need a business license to buy it anymore. All you need to do is sign a wavier for it. Pretty much anybody can by it now, but since all the hype is gone you dont really hear much about it anymore.

Eh.. that's like Meguiar's asking you to sign a waiver to use their compounds because you "may cause damage".. just silly if you ask me, but whatever floats one persons boat.

Lasthope05
06-01-2010, 12:55 PM
Eh.. that's like Meguiar's asking you to sign a waiver to use their compounds because you "may cause damage".. just silly if you ask me, but whatever floats one persons boat.

Well, if you actually look at it.... When a new member comes on here and asks what polishes to use everybody is quick to recommend M105/m205 right off the bat. Now I'm not saying they are bad products, but when the majority recommend a compound like M105 they often fail to mention how aggressive it is and how it should not be the first option. I remember when SIP was the most aggressive most would go unless they were wet sanding. In todays world, most people fail to keep paint thickness in mind and just want the fastest and strongest cutting product.

It seems with the emergence of M105 everybody just throws the least aggressive method out the window. With this I can definitely see a lot of problems in the future when people start wondering why their clearcoats are failing.

Mindflux
06-01-2010, 01:15 PM
It seems with the emergence of M105 everybody just throws the least aggressive method out the window. With this I can definitely see a lot of problems in the future when people start wondering why their clearcoats are failing.

That's been brought up over on Autopia and is certainly on point. The mantra for me is "start with the least aggressive method you think will do the job", seems like some folks just shoot right to the top. But who am I to say they're doing it wrong? :buffing:

Chris Thomas
06-01-2010, 04:05 PM

Many enthusiast don't have the knowledge and equipment to properly prep paint for a product like this. If you apply it over swirls and scratches, then you've just sealed them in and have to remove the coating to remove the defects. The waiver and business only offering was to defer claims of an inferior product from misapplications by "weekenders." Maybe is should have never been mentioned on the forums since it was always to be used by professionals, but that reflects poor judgment on the testers than on Optimum. Optimum makes many products for airplanes, motorcycles, and new car manufacturers that you guys probably don't even know exists...not because they aren't worthy, but because no one has "hyped" them and they aren't offered at detailing supply stores. I have had the coating on my Altima for 2+ years now and have applied it to maybe a dozen cars. I really like it and have a place in my arsenal for it...maybe you don't. All I can say is don't through out the baby with the bathwater. The hype and paperwork have NOTHING to do with the performance.