PDA

View Full Version : My arms are throbbing, help!

newleaf
11-03-2006, 06:32 AM
I'm a rookie here and I know you guys are great at gettin it to shine but I need some advise removing painted on lettering.

Here's the facts, I purchased an ambulance that I am converting into a motor home and in order for it to be legal, I have to remove all the lettering and decals. The lettering is a thick flat paint that was brushed on.

I tried a Dewalt circular buffer with a yellow 4" spot buffer pad, pad libricant and "Hi-Temp Extreme Cut Leveler". This seems to work but I have to crank the buffer speed all the way up and really lean into it. It takes about 12 minutes to remove one letter (about 5" x 3") and I have at least 100 letters to go! The compound dries quickly after only a minute or so. I am constantly have to apply more product and since I am removing paint, I am cleaning the pad frequently. I just want to get the lettering off, get it shined up and then it's going up for sale. This process is exhausting and time consuming. And I still have the decals to deal with.

Repainting the vehicle is too expensive, so I will endure whatever pains I have to go through to get this lettering off.

Perhaps it's supposed to be difficult. I'm new to this kind of thing so I really don't know. All I know is that my arms are killing me. Can you guys please give me some recommendations. Maybe there is a compound that is a little bit more aggressive or one that doesn't dry out so quickly. I don't know, but I know you will. I know that this is an unusual situation but please help me before my arms fall off! I need my arms to drive the damn thing, plus I'm newly married and my wife likes me to wrap them around her, however I understand that will change in time.

I also need some advice on removing the decals. Will a heat gun help?

Thanks for your help

Newleaf

XterraOverload
11-03-2006, 07:46 AM
I don't know what to tell you bro?? I think your going to have to repaint it.
Or you you could buff it and get a movie deal doing the next Hulk movie!!

Surfer
11-03-2006, 11:37 AM
There are solvents you can buy for decals/aluminum etching that should help, can't think of the names off the top of my head, ask Meghan, Killrwheels etc on here, maybe they'll know. If the compound is drying to fast, trying something like Optimum Hyper Compound, excellent cutting and long working times.

Bags
11-04-2006, 07:48 AM
3m Makes a product just for the job you are doing...I dont recall the name but go to your local napa store or an auto body paint supply store.

ScottB
11-04-2006, 08:00 AM
I am wondering if something like Prepsol, Acysol, or 3M Wax/Adhesive remover would help. If you go to a true paint stripper it wont stop at the stripes. Maybe you should just go 70's and prime it all grey !!

ryandamartini
11-04-2006, 08:26 AM
I'm a rookie here and I know you guys are great at gettin it to shine but I need some advise removing painted on lettering.

Here's the facts, I purchased an ambulance that I am converting into a motor home and in order for it to be legal, I have to remove all the lettering and decals. The lettering is a thick flat paint that was brushed on.

I tried a Dewalt circular buffer with a yellow 4" spot buffer pad, pad libricant and "Hi-Temp Extreme Cut Leveler". This seems to work but I have to crank the buffer speed all the way up and really lean into it. It takes about 12 minutes to remove one letter (about 5" x 3") and I have at least 100 letters to go! The compound dries quickly after only a minute or so. I am constantly have to apply more product and since I am removing paint, I am cleaning the pad frequently. I just want to get the lettering off, get it shined up and then it's going up for sale. This process is exhausting and time consuming. And I still have the decals to deal with.

Repainting the vehicle is too expensive, so I will endure whatever pains I have to go through to get this lettering off.

Perhaps it's supposed to be difficult. I'm new to this kind of thing so I really don't know. All I know is that my arms are killing me. Can you guys please give me some recommendations. Maybe there is a compound that is a little bit more aggressive or one that doesn't dry out so quickly. I don't know, but I know you will. I know that this is an unusual situation but please help me before my arms fall off! I need my arms to drive the damn thing, plus I'm newly married and my wife likes me to wrap them around her, however I understand that will change in time.

I also need some advice on removing the decals. Will a heat gun help?

Thanks for your help

Newleaf

well since its an ambulance, id sand the paint of the rear box off, rent a sprayer from home depot, and paint it :) My Dad and I did this on a trailer and it worked out great.

sparkie
11-04-2006, 06:50 PM
Have you tried to wet sand it off? Get 1500 or 2000 sand paper. Don't know if that will work.

ASPHALT ROCKET
11-04-2006, 07:37 PM
use oven cleaner, this will take the lettering right off.

newleaf
11-05-2006, 03:53 AM
Tried Prepsol, even tried a Graffiti removal product but oven cleaner? Hmm, I give that a shot in the morning. Any particular brand? The box is aluminum and there is aluminum trim all over the box so I have to be careful because oven cleaner reacts nasty to it. Thanks for the tip.