PDA

View Full Version : hello, new guy from GA

whoops911
05-30-2010, 11:56 AM
hello yall my name is Randy im from georgia, i detailed cars at carmax for a few years, i was only allowed to use 2 types of buffing chemicals, blue coral, and 3M, and blue coral interior cleaner, and from my expierience i didnt like blue coral, and the 3m would stick to the cars and clump up, so im lookin for side work. i would like to know of some great finish chemicals that are easy to use. i would like a great shiny finish, also would like to know of some great interior cleaners. im currently trying to get supplies for the first couple cars to get my name out and around. thank you for yalls help.

Mirror Detailing
05-30-2010, 01:03 PM
hello yall my name is Randy im from georgia, i detailed cars at carmax for a few years, i was only allowed to use 2 types of buffing chemicals, blue coral, and 3M, and blue coral interior cleaner, and from my expierience i didnt like blue coral, and the 3m would stick to the cars and clump up, so im lookin for side work. i would like to know of some great finish chemicals that are easy to use. i would like a great shiny finish, also would like to know of some great interior cleaners. im currently trying to get supplies for the first couple cars to get my name out and around. thank you for yalls help.

Welcome. You and I have alot in common...I am from GA and use to be a Inventory Lead for the Norcross store.

Also yeah the blue corral stuff was terrible and the 3M 3000 3 Step System was never great. Plus the fact that Carmax wanted a full correction done in under 5 hours was pretty sad. :dblthumb2:

GK Auto Spa
05-30-2010, 01:50 PM
Welcome im from Norcross myself & just starting out. My name should be out there by this summer.

I think all wholesale/resale car lots has the same concept Full correction in a NIK OF TIME! (in which i only got $35). I got good pratice from that though!

I like Meguiars products. I'm here studying all the new unfamiliar stuff to BRAND myself as any good business owner.

GOOD LUCK!!

cobalt9123
05-30-2010, 03:14 PM
Welcome I am from Winder, GA, not far away from you :)

PaintPolisher
05-30-2010, 11:18 PM
Hey Neighbor!

What part of GA you from? Roswell here.

Mike Phillips
05-31-2010, 04:01 PM
Welcome to Autogeek Online! :welcome:

If you have product or process questions, look through the different forum group categories and try to pick one that the topic matches your questions and then start a dedicated thread for your specific questions

Clicking the below link will take you to the list of different categories or groups of forums identified by their title.

Autogeek Online Forum Topical Groups (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/)

Or you can simply post your questions is the Detailing 101 forum which is a catch-all forum for any kind of question.

Auto Detailing 101 (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/)

:xyxthumbs:

cmichael258
05-31-2010, 04:05 PM
:welcome:Welcome Randy. Like your user name.

whoops911
06-03-2010, 09:25 AM
thanks cmichael, im from marietta, ga about 15-20 mins from town center mall, i used to detail at the carmax on barrett parkway (same road mall is off of) i thought about just gettin my name out with side jobs and if i get enough requests may be turn it in to a full time job. i got a buddy who loves turtle wax another who likes meguires i would use the best chemical for the job if it was like 3m cuttin compound turtle wax wax and meguires polish id use them like that. i think the best quality with long time finish gets you the best customers, not ones that try to bargain on prices, the kind that think they got a steal on the price, also the higher end cars is what i really wanna detail, just gotta get used to detailing different surfaces.(fiberglass, carbon fiber, etc.)

whoops911
06-03-2010, 09:36 AM
the best part of working at carmax tho was mess ups, and burns were free, lol. got to use a few types of chemicals but really learned how to fix issues fast. mirror detailing, how long were you there did you get to see the new touch up? they were trying to pay us .2 to do road rash, 4 hours or work when i left it was put it in work in progess status an you got paid 100% efficiency. but you had to mix paint, pour it on a paint squeegie, and squeegie it on to the car where needed, let sit 5 mins then hand buff off with tack cloth, in that 5 mins the new hardener made it like cement on the surface of the car, 9 times out of 10 wed say screw it and buff it off...if it pulled the paint out tell a manager it was un repairable and they would struggle to decide to paint the panel. but you would have to wait 30 mins for the manager to shut up talking to a vender to come look at the car then another 15 for him to measure and decide to paint it. (at least our store was like that) so some days youd be 125% efficient others 10% and had to stay at least 90% for the week or it would be a performance issue. personally i like the let me look at it to give you a estamate, then show them a great quality shine that lasts and me them say thats a lot of money to dang i feel bad i ripped him off for the quality and time he put in to my car.

SouthernStyles
06-03-2010, 01:30 PM
Welcome from kennesaw glad you got away from that hack place.

Pockets@PoorboysWorld
06-03-2010, 01:31 PM
Welcome from NY :welcome::welcome::buffing:

Bobby B.
06-03-2010, 01:35 PM
Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

Mirror Detailing
06-03-2010, 02:51 PM
the best part of working at carmax tho was mess ups, and burns were free, lol. got to use a few types of chemicals but really learned how to fix issues fast. mirror detailing, how long were you there did you get to see the new touch up? they were trying to pay us .2 to do road rash, 4 hours or work when i left it was put it in work in progess status an you got paid 100% efficiency. but you had to mix paint, pour it on a paint squeegie, and squeegie it on to the car where needed, let sit 5 mins then hand buff off with tack cloth, in that 5 mins the new hardener made it like cement on the surface of the car, 9 times out of 10 wed say screw it and buff it off...if it pulled the paint out tell a manager it was un repairable and they would struggle to decide to paint the panel. but you would have to wait 30 mins for the manager to shut up talking to a vender to come look at the car then another 15 for him to measure and decide to paint it. (at least our store was like that) so some days youd be 125% efficient others 10% and had to stay at least 90% for the week or it would be a performance issue. personally i like the let me look at it to give you a estamate, then show them a great quality shine that lasts and me them say thats a lot of money to dang i feel bad i ripped him off for the quality and time he put in to my car.

Man your preaching to the wrong person. I worked there for almost 3 years. I quit about 4 months after they decided to revamp everything and when that job really went to hell. Before the economy crashed that was a great place to work, but after they got STRICT about everything I did not stay. Hell from what I have heard most of hte people who were at the Norcross store with my have long since quit for the same reasons I did. Hell I was just glad I was not in detail when the re-did everything. :dblthumb2:

whoops911
06-05-2010, 10:09 AM
me too management was all screwed up, cared more about bonus then actual quality. we liked to call them green light days, dont look at quality just make them saleable.