PDA

View Full Version : M205 and LC Orange...

D0ughB0y
05-28-2010, 05:27 PM
Today I started the project of correcting the paint on my truck. It was mildly swirled up with some rids (and some dents here and there but nothing I can do about them.

I washed and clayed the truck. It didn't need the clay since I just did it a few weeks ago, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I did a test panel with my PC7424XP, a 5.5" LC flat pad, and 205. 6 section passes. IPA wipedown. NO swirls and it finished really nice. I am QUITE impressed.

I went through the entire hood in 6 sections, then did the front fenders in 2 sections. Due to impending thunderstorms, I had to cut things short. I didn't want to be half way through one of the doors and end up getting dumped on. The truck should be ok if I wash it tomorrow after the rain and go right back to it, right?

Also, since the paint turned out pretty fantastic using the 205, should I skip the 105/white pad step and go right to 85rd on a blue pad then WGPS?

D0ughB0y
05-28-2010, 06:20 PM
FYI... swap 205 and 105 in this post. I used the 105 with an orange pad and was going to go to a middle step with white/205, then finish with the 85rd.

maximus20895
05-28-2010, 06:42 PM
hmm..has anyone done 105 without using 205 or similar polishes?

JonM
05-28-2010, 07:31 PM
You may have been filling the swirls in. I'm assuming/hoping you did an alcohol wipe down after the correction to make sure you were actually removing defects. If you did, and it really did finish as nice as you say it did then I don't see any reason you shouldn't be able to further jewel the paint and skip the 205, but I really doubt you got a perfect finish with 105 on a cutting pad. Who knows, keep us updated.

D0ughB0y
05-28-2010, 07:45 PM
You may have been filling the swirls in. I'm assuming/hoping you did an alcohol wipe down after the correction to make sure you were actually removing defects. If you did, and it really did finish as nice as you say it did then I don't see any reason you shouldn't be able to further jewel the paint and skip the 205, but I really doubt you got a perfect finish with 105 on a cutting pad. Who knows, keep us updated.

I didn't remove every single defect. There are some RIDS that I didn't get out, but I'd say 95% of the defects are gone. I did IPA wipedowns after every section and did comparisons to the 'undone' section to make sure that the Brinkmann was showing me what I wanted (or rather didn't want) to see.

I too was suprised and thought it might just be some filler, but I'd think that 91% IPA non-diluted spray on, wipe off would take everything off the paint that would fill.

If I could find my camera, I'd have pics to post.

JonM
05-28-2010, 07:50 PM
Go for the 85rd then if you really feel you achieved the best finish. Some paints react weird to some products that others, like I, couldn't imagine working. Thats awesome though. Maybe try and see if the 205 helps a little, and if not just go straight to jeweling with 85rd.

D0ughB0y
05-28-2010, 08:27 PM
Ok, so I went out and looked. Its pitch black out and I do see some micromarring. It is very light, but shows up in a few spots and not in others. Perhaps I need to get the right angles to see them on the fender, but I can see them on the hood.

Next step would be 205 and white, but I'm not sure how I'm going to pick out the removal since I couldn't see it during the daylight. It was overcast with no sun, so that could be the problem.

This is a metallic sonic blue ranger and I can usually get the defects to show up with the brinkmann. I have no idea how I'm going to judge the difference when I do the metallic silver car.

WRAPT C5Z06
05-28-2010, 08:44 PM
Ok, so I went out and looked. Its pitch black out and I do see some micromarring. It is very light, but shows up in a few spots and not in others. Perhaps I need to get the right angles to see them on the fender, but I can see them on the hood.

Next step would be 205 and white, but I'm not sure how I'm going to pick out the removal since I couldn't see it during the daylight. It was overcast with no sun, so that could be the problem.

This is a metallic sonic blue ranger and I can usually get the defects to show up with the brinkmann. I have no idea how I'm going to judge the difference when I do the metallic silver car.
You can pretty much use a yellow LC pad and 105 on metallic silver and not see any micro marring. Light metallics does the best job of covering up defects.

D0ughB0y
05-28-2010, 09:24 PM
You can pretty much use a yellow LC pad and 105 on metallic silver and not see any micro marring. Light metallics does the best job of covering up defects.

I know. That's why I was saying that if I can't see the micromarring on my dark blue metallic paint, there is no way I'm going to see it on silver metallic.

WRAPT C5Z06
05-29-2010, 07:16 PM
I know. That's why I was saying that if I can't see the micromarring on my dark blue metallic paint, there is no way I'm going to see it on silver metallic.
I see.

CakeDaddy
05-29-2010, 08:23 PM
hmm..has anyone done 105 without using 205 or similar polishes?

It will be in your best interest to follow that Meguiars105 with one of of the following:

Menzerna85rd
3M UltraFinaSE
Meguiars205

I just cleaned up my bumpers with the Meg105 followed by the 3M Ultra FinaSE this morning:buffing:

D0ughB0y
05-29-2010, 09:10 PM
I'm quite sore. I finished the entire truck with the 105 on the orange pads. I'm still impressed with the amount of correction. Speed 6, 6 section passes, decent amount of pressure (not enough to stop it from spinning), pretty slow arm speed, maybe 2-3" per second.

I also got the hood with 205 and a white pad.

I did find my camera, so I got a before and a 50/50 of the fender with just the 205/orange.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v304/D0ughB0y/Truck1/IMG_1928.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v304/D0ughB0y/Truck1/IMG_1929.jpg