PDA

View Full Version : What's up with these pads?

Pages : [1] 2

maximus20895
05-27-2010, 12:31 PM
A few days ago I was using 105 an d205 on my car. I did the everything with the orange and white pads and when I got done pretty much looked orange and white except with a little bit of product.

But...when I did the hood the pad turned black. I have no idea why they did this. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks.

The picture are of both white pads. One is the normal colored and one is the black looking one. Big Difference!

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r97/maximus20895/0526001236.jpg

Marc08EX
05-27-2010, 12:34 PM
Was the paint single stage?

maximus20895
05-27-2010, 01:03 PM
nope, that's why i'm confused. It's a Black '07 Honda Civic SI

Marc08EX
05-27-2010, 01:09 PM
nope, that's why i'm confused. It's a Black '07 Honda Civic SI

Hmm... I don't understand it either. Maybe the hood has been repainted already? Cuz as far as I know, the pads can transfer paint like that only through single stage paint jobs. I might be wrong though because I'm a newbie myself.

Big Turkey
05-27-2010, 01:36 PM
Did you buff over exterior trim? Either rubber or plastic... that will make your pads black.

Lasthope05
05-27-2010, 01:50 PM
Hmm... I don't understand it either. Maybe the hood has been repainted already? Cuz as far as I know, the pads can transfer paint like that only through single stage paint jobs. I might be wrong though because I'm a newbie myself.

This. Most likey the hood was repainted at one time. There is no other reason.

Big Turkey
05-27-2010, 01:52 PM
I have done many repainted panels.. one car RIGHT out of the paint booth that was black and it did not turn any of my pads any color. Unless they just used single stage paint during the repaint and not a modern clear coat. It's a 07 car.. very unlikely.

Lasthope05
05-27-2010, 02:11 PM
I have done many repainted panels.. one car RIGHT out of the paint booth that was black and it did not turn any of my pads any color. Unless they just used single stage paint during the repaint and not a modern clear coat. It's a 07 car.. very unlikely.

Then you should know single stage paints are still used today, even from the factory, thought its not the same as the old single stage lacquers. They are single stage polyurethane paints.

Red paint on Mitsubishi Evo VIII, most white paint on Hondas/Acuras(red on s2000) etc are SS from the factory. There are a lot of vehicles out there with SS paints. Not to mention the cars with tinted clear coats.

cnfowler
05-27-2010, 02:51 PM
A lot of shops repaint with SS paint. Cheaper and one less step versus BC/CC. This is not uncommon to find panels on a vehicle that are SS when the rest of the car is BC/CC, even on higher end vehicles.

Colin

cobalt9123
05-27-2010, 02:54 PM
Looks repainted, did you buy new?

maximus20895
05-27-2010, 03:17 PM
I did buy new.

Someone ran me off the road and the car was repainted. I don't know about the hood, but I know the driver's door was and the pad did not turn black when I went over that.

I do have a sunroof so maybe I went over the vynl on the perimiter of that. I do not know.

I got it repainted and worked on at a Mercedes places so i would hope that they would take all the steps to make it look the best. They did make holograms in the paint which is the main reason I even started to correct the paint in the first place.

Odd.

Lasthope05
05-27-2010, 03:27 PM
The dealership could have repainted the hood before you bought it. I've worked at dealerships before and I've seen them do this many times before. Sometimes there are accidents during transportation or service writers taking the new cars and damaging them.

I know for a fact that the dealerships I worked at, the service writers would always take the cars out for the weekend. And sometimes things did happen.

Also the trim would not turn the entire pad black like that. It would only stain small portions of it(where it touched) unless you were deliberately polishing a large section of trim.

maximus20895
05-27-2010, 04:09 PM
Yes, I know that too. It was in the showroom and It JUST got off the lot. It wasn't even at the lot for 24 hrs..

RaskyR1
05-27-2010, 04:26 PM
Grab a new clean pad and go over the hood again. If it turns black then it SS. If not you likely just went over some of the trim. Most reputable shops will shoot BC/CC if that what's the paint code calls for.

Is that a white pad on the left and a black on the right?

Wax Gorilla
05-27-2010, 08:17 PM
If you park near a pine tree or Have older Metallic pewter or silver paint it could be single stage oxidation coming off.