PDA

View Full Version : Buying my first detailing kit!

pokerbob781
05-26-2010, 11:04 PM
Hi Guys,

After doing some research, I decided I will be purchasing my first kit from this site. Here's a list of what my purchase will include. Can you guys give me any advice.

1. Pinnacle Quart Foamaster Foam Gun (I have a wash mit and bucket already. )
2. Pinnacle Bodywork Shampoo 64 oz
2. Pinnacle Porter Cable 7424XP Kit ($289)
3. Lake Country 5.5 Inch CCS Pads 6 Pack - (not sure what color I should get)
4. Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay kit

Do you guys think this would be good for a rookie like myself just to get started?

Thanks

cobalt9123
05-26-2010, 11:27 PM
I, personally, would swap out the Bodywork Shampoo for DP Xtreme Foam Formula:
128 oz. DP Xtreme Foam Formula Car Wash (http://www.autogeek.net/128ozdpxtfof.html)
(I linked you to the 128oz bottle)
That stuff is awesome, smells great, works great, and it's specifically designed for foam guns. Oh, AND you get twice as much for the same price :)

As far as the pads, what are you looking to correct? How severe of defects?

Also, you'll need something to clean your pads with.

rohnramirez
05-27-2010, 12:56 AM
As for the pads, i would suggest you at least have 3oranges,3 whites, a black and a blue...oh yah, and get the flat pads instead of the CCS. IMO, DA's don't produce as much heat as a rotaries do and you will get better correction with a DA on flat pads as opposed to ccs pads.

Sal
05-27-2010, 02:07 AM
Unless you let your auto get really bad with dirt, I don't really see the need for a foam gun. I have one, however, I don't use the foam gun on any of my cars because I wash them once a week. But for customers who haven't washed their cars in a while I do use the gun to make washing easier.

I agree with rohnramirez for your choice of pads.

haynpunch
05-27-2010, 03:50 AM
You might wanna look at ordering ala carte might be cheaper that way (PCXP, 5" BP, 6 - LC 5.5 Flat Pads runs about 180$) and you will be able to get what pads you want.. Then choose what polish kit you want ... also everyone seems to get the 5.5 pads over the 6.5 for the DA's

Wax Gorilla
05-27-2010, 05:13 AM
Very Nice Choices !

pokerbob781
05-27-2010, 09:08 AM
I have an 06 Infiniti FX35 which is in mint condition b/c I just purchased it back in January and I keep it very clean inside and out. I have some very light swirls b/c its black.

pokerbob781
05-27-2010, 09:46 AM
What's the difference between ccs and flat. I didn't even notice that. I just knew that everyone says to use 5.5 pads.

cobalt9123
05-27-2010, 02:49 PM
I have an 06 Infiniti FX35 which is in mint condition b/c I just purchased it back in January and I keep it very clean inside and out. I have some very light swirls b/c its black.

For that you won't need more than light cutting pads. 5.5" Tangerine Light Cutting pads will be perfectly fine for you. Or flat/ccs versions of light cutting pads.

What's the difference between ccs and flat. I didn't even notice that. I just knew that everyone says to use 5.5 pads.
CCS have little dimples in them, flat do not. Many people find flat to correct better. In my experience, I have tried Lake Country Flat and Lake Country Hydrotech and I love the hydrotech but hate the flat. The flat pads absorbed all the polish and made it seem as if I was dry buffing..just my opinion.

pokerbob781
05-28-2010, 08:27 AM
Great advice Thanks,

trhland
05-28-2010, 01:44 PM
keep the bodywork shampoo !!!! you will love it ....it even works nice in the foam gun.. super slick coconut oils !!!!:xyxthumbs:

cobalt9123
05-28-2010, 05:53 PM
Great advice Thanks,

No problem, let me know if you need any other advice...if I have experience on it I will tell you truth :)