PDA

View Full Version : Need serious help with my pricing!

Pages : [1] 2

kbaum
05-26-2010, 12:23 PM
Alright so here's my situation. I'm a college student who details in the summer and during breaks and this is my second summer detailing for money. I do not pay rent but have a warehouse I use. I live in and work in the suburbs of Chicago and am willing and capable to do on-site/mobile detailing. Obviously, I use all professional products and I have a 1750 RPM rotary Milwaukee. Majority of the cars I do are relatively high dollar (BMW's, Audi's, etc...) Here's a photo album of last summer's and winter's cars Kevin Baumhart's Photos - Work- detailing | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=82834&id=518099546&l=6a06114965).

Here are my prices from last summer and I think they need to change. I have undoubtedly become much better at detailing and, not to brag but I think it's worth something, a few customer's back sent me a text saying "I have been detailing cars for over 20 years and your work is some of the best I've seen".

Full Detail- hand wash, rims cleaned, all glass cleaned, 2 Step polishing (cut and wax), tire dressing, carpet shampooed and vacuumed, seats cleaned and apply leather conditioner, dash/center console/ door panels all cleaned. You get the gist...
$70 for mid-size or compact, $80 for large luxury cars (A8, S-class, etc.) and $100 for large SUV's (Lexus GX, Range Rover, Nissan Armada).

These prices certainly do not reflect my quality of work but were practical for starting up last year.

I'm trying to expand this summer and want to offer additional services but am unsure what to charge.

How much extra for Clay bar? Black vehicles? Mobile Detailing?Sap/Tar removal? And what do you all recommend I change my Full detail pricing too?

A thousand thanks in advance...

Kevin

Sinbad
05-26-2010, 12:39 PM
Damn, that's cheap. If you ever get to Colorado, look me up, you can do my vehicles. In all seriousness, even the fly by wash and go places here charge $125 for an exterior detail to start. Most of the dealerships that I worked for work $150 - $200 for an exterior detail including wash (through a machine) polish/wax, tire shine and clean glass int/ext. They would also vacuum the carpet and that was about it.

I think you should consider raising your prices, obviously your work has proven itself and merits a larger fee. This is especially true considering the fact that you are not just doing low end vehicles.

As far as the add ons, I think those are more of a per hour fee. When I do mechanical side work, it depends on the job. Light duty work is $30 hr and heavy duty starts at $50 hr. I don't know if that helps or not, but that is my opinion.Take it for what it is worth and good luck.

gumbedamit
05-26-2010, 12:57 PM
That's a really cheap price. You should determine what your time is worth an hour and price yourself accordingly. If you're spending 3-4 hrs doing one car @ $70, that would not be worth it to me. If you're good, don't sell yourself short. I have a mobile rig, it won't leave the yard unless I'm getting at least $150. Look around in your area to see what others are charging. Criagslist should have a lot of detailers and their prices.

Big Turkey
05-26-2010, 01:22 PM
I have never finished a multi-step polish in 3-4 hours.. maybe I am doing something wrong but 3-4 hours is what it takes me to do the first compound.

For a 2 step polish, wash, clay, wax/sealant, etc it takes me about 5-7 hours depending on the car. I charge $250-ish and I get that NO PROBLEM.

You need to up your prices. For jeweling and extra wax, etc I go up $100-$150 and I do this as side work, and I'm getting 3-4 cars a week.

Big Turkey
05-26-2010, 01:24 PM
Oh, here is my gallery btw. I only do sports/performance cars. Being a vette owner myself, I have done a TON of vettes but didn't take any pics cause they get redundant.

EpicDetailing's Photos (http://epicdetailing.smugmug.com)

gumbedamit
05-26-2010, 02:22 PM
I have never finished a multi-step polish in 3-4 hours.. maybe I am doing something wrong but 3-4 hours is what it takes me to do the first compound.

For a 2 step polish, wash, clay, wax/sealant, etc it takes me about 5-7 hours depending on the car. I charge $250-ish and I get that NO PROBLEM.

You need to up your prices. For jeweling and extra wax, etc I go up $100-$150 and I do this as side work, and I'm getting 3-4 cars a week.I was just using 3-4hrs as an example, but lets say 7-8hrs, my point would still be the same, he's getting too little money for his service.:buffing:

gumbedamit
05-26-2010, 02:25 PM
At what he charges, I'd hire him to do my work....:)

Tex
05-26-2010, 03:34 PM
At $70 a car, I could fly you down here to Texas, have you do my 2 cars, get you a hotel room and it would still be cheaper than going to see the hacks that call themselves detailers around here!

Now, since you are only doing this seasonaly, I would think you will not be able to charge the same as a full time detailer ($200 or so would be the running rate down here). I mean, some of your clients are likely attracted to the "deal" they are getting. But you could certainly charge $15/hr (if I count a full details as an 8hr job, that means $120) and go up further from there based on feedback.

sullysdetailing
05-26-2010, 03:39 PM
My Price List:

Group discounts are available – please call or email us for details

Bronze Package – $30-50

Hand wash (2 bucket method)
Wheels are washed
Tires dressed
Interior is vacuumed and wiped down
Windows cleaned
*Please add an additional $10-20 in the case the vehicle is really dirty (link to white VW?)
Silver Package – $60-100

Wheels are washed
Tires dressed
Interior is vacuumed and wiped down
Windows cleaned
1 Layer of premium wax is applied (1-2 months of protection)
*Please add an additional $10-20 in the case the vehicle is really dirty
Gold Package – $125-200

Wheels are cleaned and sealed in order to protect from brake dust
All rubber and plastic trim is dressed with UV protectant
Interior carpets are shampooed
Leather is cleaned and conditioned
All Plastic is cleaned and dressed
1 layer of premium wax is applied (1-2 months of protection)
Platinum Package – $275-350

Paint is clayed to remove contaminants
Paint is polished to remove minor swirls and scratches (80% corrected)
Wheels are cleaned and sealed to protect your wheels from brake dust
Exhaust tips polished and sealed
All plastic is cleaned and dressed
1 layer of premium wax is applied (1-2 months of protection)
Paint sealant can be applied for an extra $25 (4-6 month of protection)
Diamond Package (Detail + Photo Shoot) $500+

Paint undergoes multi-step correction to achieve full correction
Wheels are cleaned, polished, and sealed in order to protect from brake dust
Brakes are cleaned and sealed; wheel wells are cleaned and dressed
Exhaust tips are polished and sealed
All metal is cleaned and polished
Engine bay is cleaned and dressed
1 coat of sealant or premium wax is applied for maximum protection
Photography Services

Photo shoot with Raymond Neice http://www.raymondneicephotography.com or
Black Simon http://f1photography.blogspot.com/
Show Car Preparation – $40 Per Hour (15+ hours)

Paint undergoes multi-step correction to achieve full correction
Wheels are cleaned, polished, and sealed in order to protect from brake dust
Brakes are cleaned and sealed; wheel wells are cleaned and dressed
All metal is cleaned and polished
Engine bay is cleaned and dressed
2 coats of sealant are applied for maximum protection. 1 coat of premium wax is applied for maximum gloss
New Car Prep – For Newly-Purchased Vehicles – Only $100-150

Paint is sealed (4-6 months of protection)
Exterior trim is treated to protect against fading
Interior is treated to protect against fading
Wheels and exhaust tips are sealed
À la carte
Paint Correction – $40 an hour (will take 10+ hours, conducted in shop)

Wheels are cleaned and sealed in order to protect from brake dust
Paint receives multi-step correction to ensure defects are removed
1 layer of sealant is applied to the vehicle (provides 4-6 months of protection)
Curried wax follows the sealant to provide for a deep gloss
1-Step Polish – $150-$250

Wheels and tires are cleaned
Paint is polished to remove minor swirls and scratches (about 80% corrected)
1 layer of wax or paint sealant is applied
Full Interior Detail – $125-175

Interior is vacuumed
Interior is thoroughly cleaned
All plastic is dressed
Carpets are shampooed
Aluminum Polishing – Please Email Or Call For Quote

Aluminum is polished
Aluminum is sealed
Rims and Brake Polishing – $100

Rims are removed and cleaned
Brakes are cleaned
Wheel wells are thoroughly cleaned and dressed
Rims are polished and sealed
Brake calipers are sealed
Engine Bay Detail – $40-60

Engine bay is completely cleaned
Engine bay is dressed

________

Also my rule of thumb is I dont clay cars unless they are getting a polish or full correction because some paint are very easy to mar. If they want the car waxed or sealed I chemically stipe the car of it wax, clean then wax or seal the car.

Your best bet is to start posting on local car forums and clubs websites. Go to your local meets and car shows, once you land one of those people and they love your work the rest of the club will jump in.

Big Turkey
05-27-2010, 01:50 PM
Sully if you don't mind, I'm gonna take a few notes from your price list and use them in mine. It is such a complete list! So if you don't mind!

sullysdetailing
05-27-2010, 04:03 PM
Go For it

Da Fats
05-27-2010, 04:19 PM
Notice he doesn't touch a buffer unless its 250+ Surprised headlight correction is not on that list sully.... or i missed it

sullysdetailing
05-27-2010, 10:15 PM
Notice he doesn't touch a buffer unless its 250+ Surprised headlight correction is not on that list sully.... or i missed it

Did you miss the a le carte menu $125 is the starting price for a 1-step.

Phinox
05-28-2010, 01:40 AM
Pricing depends on the area. Where i live and operate i can get 300$ at most for a full detail interior exterior and paint correction. The average customer here complains that 30 to 40$ is to much for a wash and wax.

kids_gone
05-28-2010, 05:00 AM
Just for my 2 cents your way under price I would follow Sully's pricing even his look reasonable. Your to low! If your near Naperville I should be by in August :) Good Luck