PDA

View Full Version : couple questions....

Yoshi94
05-26-2010, 07:46 AM
Ok I'm going to be PC my car this weekend. I have never used a sealant before so I bought #845. Going to be using that with a blue or grey pad.

Im doing the XMT 3 step process. When its sealant time, do I put the sealant on 1st before my choice of wax or vice versa?

Also just another quick question, I bought the pinnacle xmt kit with 7424xp intermediate swirl remover. The light and intermediate seem very watery.. is it suppose to be like that? Or just needs a real good shake.

sqeekykleen
05-26-2010, 08:08 AM
First of all welcome to AGF. You would want to do all of your cleaning and polishing first. Then you would want to do an IPA wipedown. Applyyour sealant, and then if you wish you could apply a coat of wax over your sealant. Make sure that you read the sealant directions to see if there is a cure time before topping with wax. The XMT polish should not be to watery, more like a lotion, might need to be shaken real well before use.

DARK HORSE
05-26-2010, 09:36 AM
If you're talking about Collinite 845 as your sealant, it is actually a liquid carnuba insulator wax, but I does offer the durability of a sealant.(Excellent durability/great product). With that being said if you are going to use Collinite 845 there is really no reason to top it with another carnuba. However if you want to you can. Just be sure to put the 845 down first, as it is heavily enriched with solvents that could strip off another wax if another wax was applied first...

jzuniga01
05-26-2010, 10:12 AM
Just be sure to put the 845 down first, as it is heavily enriched with solvents that could strip off another wax if another wax was applied first...

I thought that Collinite didn't have any cleaners and that it was just a wax.That is what I think I read on another thread. So am I wrong?

DARK HORSE
05-26-2010, 10:39 AM
I thought that Collinite didn't have any cleaners and that it was just a wax.That is what I think I read on another thread. So am I wrong?

No you are correct, in that the description on AG's Website; it claims to have no cleaning abilities, and yes there was another thread where it was said that a collinite chemist had replied back to a member and said that he thought that it wouldn't strip existing wax if applied over it...However I have used it several times, and it smells EXTREMELY heavy in solvents, and on the bottle it says (CAUTION: FLAMABLE)... I'm sure it is heavy in solvent concentration. Take it for what it's worth. Cleaning properties or not, just open a bottle and you'll see what I mean about heavy solvent base...

Yoshi94
05-27-2010, 08:08 AM
Ok thanks for the info guys. I can lay down the 845 with a pc right? Blue pad?

Mike Phillips
05-27-2010, 08:16 AM

Any soft finishing pad will work fine...
3.0 to 4.0 for a speed setting...

:)

A4 1.8tqm
05-27-2010, 08:17 AM
No you are correct, in that the description on AG's Website; it claims to have no cleaning abilities, and yes there was another thread where it was said that a collinite chemist had replied back to a member and said that he thought that it wouldn't strip existing wax if applied over it...However I have used it several times, and it smells EXTREMELY heavy in solvents, and on the bottle it says (CAUTION: FLAMABLE)... I'm sure it is heavy in solvent concentration. Take it for what it's worth. Cleaning properties or not, just open a bottle and you'll see what I mean about heavy solvent base...

:iagree: Strong solvent smell.

Yes, use it sparingly in order to get a thin and even layer. If you let the bottle of 845 warm up a bit it will become much thinner, like a liquid, and easier to spread.

DARK HORSE
05-27-2010, 08:41 AM
I did a little more research and found that Colli 845 contains petroleum distillate, which are are hydrocarbon solvents produced from crude oil. These solvents include mineral spirits and Stoddard solvent, as well as others. Petroleum distillates are good for removal of heavy oil, grease, tar, and waxes. The low surface tension of many of these solvents allows them to penetrate and clean small spaces and on a microscopic level. They are very flammable (so no stoogie smoking while applying...lol
Definitely SHAKE it up VIGOROUSLY before use!

PS: This is an great product with excellent durability (it does however smell very strong!)

STODDARD SOLVENT MSDS (http://www.hvchemical.com/msds/misp.htm) (MSDS)

jzuniga01
05-27-2010, 09:13 AM
I did a little more research and found that Colli 845 contains petroleum distillate, which are are hydrocarbon solvents produced from crude oil. These solvents include mineral spirits and Stoddard solvent, as well as others. Petroleum distillates are good for removal of heavy oil, grease, tar, and waxes. The low surface tension of many of these solvents allows them to penetrate and clean small spaces and on a microscopic level. They are very flammable (so no stoogie smoking while applying...lol
Definitely SHAKE it up VIGOROUSLY before use!

PS: This is an great product with excellent durability (it does however smell very strong!)

STODDARD SOLVENT MSDS (http://www.hvchemical.com/msds/misp.htm) (MSDS)

So I wouldn't be able to layer it on top of DG #105? I read on this thread http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/25828-dg-105-other-products.html and richy says he tops DG 105 with collinite and he says that it doesn't remove the wax under it.

DARK HORSE
05-28-2010, 12:56 AM
So I wouldn't be able to layer it on top of DG #105? I read on this thread http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/25828-dg-105-other-products.html and richy says he tops DG 105 with collinite and he says that it doesn't remove the wax under it.

Guaranteed Richy knows much more about Collinite products then I do. If he says it's okay, then you can trust what he says!! It's Gold!!

Yoshi94
05-28-2010, 05:22 PM
can i apply 845 to the whole car before removing?