PDA

View Full Version : How much sealant in oz per coat/application?

maxisiri
05-26-2010, 12:23 AM
Hi! I know you should apply a sealant very sparingly with very thin and even coats...lets take an average size vehicle...How much sealant in oz I should use per coat? I think this rule applies to almost all sealant, but to clarify examples I´m interested to know are Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant, Klasse All-In-One/High Gloss Sealant Glaze, DP Poli-Coat Paint Sealant, Menzerna Power Lock, Poorboys EX-P, BlackFire Wet Diamond, etc. Is it ok to calculate 1-2 oz of sealant per coat? I´m always thinking...am I applying the correct amount of product per coat? ....this will help me clarify.

Thanks!!!!

tuscarora dave
05-26-2010, 12:34 AM
I might use 1/2 to 1 ounce on a large vehicle such as a Ford Expedition so I would think no more than 1/2 ounce on an average sized car. I use EX-P on a 4" Cyclo finishing pad with my G110V2.

Fly bye
05-26-2010, 02:10 AM
I use between 15-20 Milliliters per medium sized automobile.

maxisiri
05-26-2010, 02:13 AM
I might use 1/2 to 1 ounce on a large vehicle such as a Ford Expedition so I would think no more than 1/2 ounce on an average sized car. I use EX-P on a 4" Cyclo finishing pad with my G110V2.

Dave: Wow!!! That´s much less product per application than I always thought (I thought I was using too little product when using 1 oz per coat)....Do you think this rule applies to any sealant?

Anyone else can give us their experience in the application of sealants? :dblthumb2:

Thanks!

tuscarora dave
05-26-2010, 02:35 AM
Dave: Wow!!! That´s much less product per application than I always thought (I thought I was using too little product when using 1 oz per coat)....Do you think this rule applies to any sealant?

Anyone else can give us their experience in the application of sealants? :dblthumb2:

Thanks!
I have tested the theory of less is more after being told that by Steve over at Poorboy's world. I apply maybe 3 little pea sized dots to my 4" pad and work that into each panel with my DA polisher on low speed. If I look very closely just behind the pad and can see a wet trail of product that dries or becomes invisible about 4 to 6 inches behind the pad it is enough. It apears that nothing is going on but I have tested this on half of a car and washed the car a few days later and can definately tell that that half of the car is protected by the way the water reacts on the differing sides of the car. Some folks think you need more product than that, I think not.

I am no chemist or engineer of products but I do lay a line of tape down the center of my entire car and use a different product on either side quite often to see what works or lasts and what doesn't. I do it just for fun and to please my curiosities and no other reason.

Lasthope05
05-26-2010, 03:41 AM
I use less than 1/2oz per coat for an average size car. So probably around 1/3 oz.

If you're using 1-2oz, you're putting it on pretty thick.