PDA

View Full Version : Car Washing

gumbedamit
05-25-2010, 03:05 PM
I was wondering if you guys just wash cars as well. I only detail during the week. On the weekends I setup shop in a few local gas stations and just wash cars, $20. This allows me to get new clients for detailing during the week. Since I'm mobile, I can go to their location. Do any of you do this, if so, how much of a percentage to you give the gas station owner? thanx in advance

Feed back please

JonMiles
05-25-2010, 06:14 PM
I was wondering if you guys just wash cars as well. I only detail during the week. On the weekends I setup shop in a few local gas stations and just wash cars, $20. This allows me to get new clients for detailing during the week. Since I'm mobile, I can go to their location. Do any of you do this, if so, how much of a percentage to you give the gas station owner? thanx in advance

Feed back please

I do the same thing at a local liquor store 3 days a week, I give the owner a free mini detail once a week for letting me do so. I just spend 2 hours on his car every monday on a wash, spray wax, tire shine, vac and dress interior...it keeps him happy and helps me make a few extra bucks while meeting new customers.

ScottB
05-25-2010, 06:27 PM
I think there is a great post on another forum from our friend Justin about the economy and "just washes". You need to modify business to take advantage of what and how people spend. Right now, alot of families are pressed for time but have little $$$. So a good quick wash and a reasonable price will bring repeat business.

I might suggest tossing in something small for free, like tire dressing or interior scent. (doesnt cost much to you in bulk or time) Also leave a business card inside car but NEVER clear out change in the ash tray !

SATMAN40
05-28-2010, 06:07 PM
Check this out
http://gvm-subhalldata.com/wrland

Free car wash and detail magazine trends, little business advice, some staff management idea, and new product and equipment,
little bigger toys....

Interesting reading, taking a hobby to a real business

Expert Car Care
06-18-2010, 07:10 PM
Once you add up the costs of doing a thorough job at the "do it yourself" car wash, you can see that $15-$20 while you relax and let the pro's do it, seems like not a bad deal. We also give them a card that gets stamped. After five washes they get a free wax! (consumer grade)

SATMAN40
06-18-2010, 10:21 PM
Check this out
http://gvm-subhalldata.com/wrland

Free car wash and detail magazine trends, little business advice, some staff management idea, and new product and equipment,
little bigger toys....

Interesting reading, taking a hobby to a real business

Corrected htt://gym-sub.halldata.com/wrland

looks like I left out the . after sub sorry about that it is a decent magazine and free...:xyxthumbs:

itzJoker
06-18-2010, 10:54 PM
I'd never be able to do a good car wash for $20 with other people doing crappy washes at $10 and the drive-thru automatic car wash does it for $10 (also in less time..)

maximus20895
06-18-2010, 10:59 PM
You messed up again lol

Here ya go:

Professional Carwash & Detailing Subscription Form (http://gym-sub.halldata.com/wrland)

gumbedamit
06-18-2010, 11:37 PM
I'd never be able to do a good car wash for $20 with other people doing crappy washes at $10 and the drive-thru automatic car wash does it for $10 (also in less time..)
Quality counts. There are several automated car washes in my area. On the weekends, I setup at a local gas station, they know I'm going to be there and that they are able to get a good wash.
I can't wash cars for $10. I used to take my car to the automated wash, it cost me $12 for the wash, spray wax and a free vacuum that you have to do yourself. That still leaves me to do my own vacuum, wipe down the inside and still do the windows. You have to realize and then convince your perspective clients that you are offering a premium service, it may take a little while but keep at it.

Bunky
06-19-2010, 05:29 AM
Once you educate people on what the drive through washes do to their vehicles, you will get more converts.

SATMAN40
06-19-2010, 09:37 AM
The magazine gives many management, tech support ideas, and has a great deal of product advertising, many on this forum are hobbies I am one of them, and yet if any of us are to open a profitable business we must face the real word.

The more help we hire, and delegate the less we have control of the quality of the product.

I am almost 70 and can only do so much with 2 hands. The Social Security Retirement Living is not so great, but I thank God for the investments over the years, and the ideas of others have shared the returns have been far greater.

The cheap hamburger created the desire to eat out, the Steak House put Value on the same burger at a greater price, detailing is nothing more than the sizzle on the same piece of meat.

Be nice to the car wash it is creating your next customer, your next helper, and eventually the buyer of your business when you retire.

I understand how you feel, I have been there also..:iagree:

trhland
06-19-2010, 02:52 PM
I think there is a great post on another forum from our friend Justin about the economy and "just washes". You need to modify business to take advantage of what and how people spend. Right now, alot of families are pressed for time but have little $$$. So a good quick wash and a reasonable price will bring repeat business.

I might suggest tossing in something small for free, like tire dressing or interior scent. (doesnt cost much to you in bulk or time) Also leave a business card inside car but NEVER clear out change in the ash tray !

what i did is offer a prepay discount for my highend customers..landscaping not detailing.. but anyway they ate it up....

Expert Car Care
06-19-2010, 06:27 PM
There is a sign out front of the gas station downtown. "Car hand wash $10" and yet I never see cars getting washed there. We get 2-3 cars a day drive in for our $15 hand wash while we are detailing cars here.

We would never get away with $50 for a car wash like some of the poster here claim, but this is still a perfect example of how people will pay more and be loyal to a higher price based soley on your image and reputation.

In the service bizz, Image and rep are everything.