PDA

View Full Version : Soft CC problem - SOLVED!

TLMitchell
05-25-2010, 01:41 PM
I've been beating my brains out trying to get Harley-Davidson Vivid Black to finish marr-free for a long time. It's the softest, most miserable clearcoat I've ever encountered.

Researching problematic soft clears I ran into an article where someoneoranother had similar problems with an '07 Jet Black BMW. Even a wipedown with a soft, plush MF was leaving marks. He eventually came up with a polishing process where he used no MFs at all. Got no clue how that was accomplished! :wow:

Another article had Nick Chapman unable to get 205 to finish on soft, black CC no matter what pad or technique he used. He went through anything and everything in his arsenal and eventually came up with the last-ditch idea of using yellow LC with 205 since he'd tried everything else. He achieved a mirror finish. Who woulda thunk it? :bowdown:

Point is, sometimes you have to think outside the box and leave behind the tried and true techniques and materials. My current dilemma had me wondering, which box? :dunno:

After another brain-beating session on the Harley it was looking good until I hit it with The Cruel Master. Then, as usual, I wanted to simultaneously puke and tear my hair out. :doh: I walked away for a break to take my recently washed MFs out of the cool dryer. This was the occasional vinegar-rinse session. Vinegar in the rinse removes all soap residues and returns fabrics to their original fluffiness, softness and absorbancy, it's a natural fabric softener. I originally tried it with old bath towels and was so astounded by the results all my MFs and most clothes now get that occasional treatment.

While I'm folding MF I marveled at the renewed softness... especially the Cobra WWs I got for Christmas. The light bulb came on and I wondered about residue removal with the WWs!?! I'd been getting marring in the direction I was polishing using anything with new, Meg's foam applicators and leaving other marks wiping off residue with my plushest, QD-misted Cobra Deluxe Jr 600s.

Back in the garage I found a 4-pack of new MF applicators I'd picked up at Autozone and had never even unwrapped. What I never noticed since I hadn't opened the package is that the 2 grey ones were regular low-pile MF, the 2 orange ones had a brushed, flannel-like finish. Aha! :applause:

Armed with the super-soft applicators and the rejuvenated Cobra WW I went back to work by hand. M205 finished flawlessly under the Brinkmann. Recalling a recent article Mike Phillips wrote regarding working with vintage, delicate paint I made multiple applications of Meg's #7 and the pure polish rewarded me with an even better finish. Just for grins I tried a test spot with my usual polishing MFs... yep, there's the marks again. :doh: A reapplication wiping off the residue with the WW and again the finish was flawless. :drool:

Long way to go to make the point, if the tried and true isn't working try something else. Had I not been folding my recently resoftened MFs and noticed how soft the WWs were I probably would've never thought to try them. As for the super-soft applicators, I've never seen them before anywhere else. Time to head to Autozone to stock up. :cruisin: We all know what happens when you find something you really like that works well, it gets discontinued or turns into unobtanium! It's a conspiracy I tell ya!

Now, what to do LSP-wise? Something I'd never heard of called Glare Pro Polish was recommended to me by an experienced detailer. The promo on their Web site sounded like snake oil. Amongst the claims this got my attention:

" The chemical reaction that occurs between GLARE and the paint literally transforms the chemical structure of the vehicle’s paint to now share the properties of both the original paint and glass. Micro scratches, swirls, and oxidation are all removed permanently. The end result is a newly created type of paint/glass hybrid “SUPER PAINT” that is harder and more resilient then before."

Yep, sounds like more snake oil alright. The guy that recommended it said he keeps it in his detailing cabinet for problem finishes where nothing else works. Another recommender says he ran into the stuff at one of Renny Doyle's classes. As soft as this CC is anything is worth trying.

So I picked up a bottle of this magic elixer and the finish looks exceptional. Jury is still out on it's claims to increase hardness or add swirl resistant capabilites. We'll see. One thing I did notice, it works as good on chrome as any metal or chrome polish I've ever used and doesn't seem to burn off the headers and mufflers immediately like anything else I've ever used. A coupla hundred miles of high temps on the exhaust and after washing the protection as well as the shine is still there. That's a first! :props:

While I'm outside the box maybe I'll go pick up a bottle of Nu Finish so I'll never have to wax again. :D

TL

A4 1.8tqm
05-25-2010, 01:55 PM
Nice write-up, way to "think outside the box" and find a solution to a recurring problem. I wonder how well the "super paint" created by applying "Glare" resists scratches... :dunno:

...until I hit it with The Cruel Master. Then, as usual, I wanted to simultaneously puke and tear my hair out.

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

DARK HORSE
05-25-2010, 02:40 PM
Great read TL, thanks for sharing!

richy
05-25-2010, 03:20 PM
Thanks for sharing that insight.

TLMitchell
05-25-2010, 03:29 PM
I wonder how well the "super paint" created by applying "Glare" resists scratches... :dunno:

Jury is still out until I wash it a couple of times. Guess I better push away from the keyboard and go out and get it filthy so I can wash it. Im the MAN

Gotta hit the fiberglass first. The tin has always been the problem, the plastic bits polish up swirl and marr-free. I know the plastic comes out of Wisconsin and the tin is formed at York, PA. Don't know whether they use different paint compositions or whether it may act completely different on differing materials.. :dunno:

Pics when I get a round tuit.

TL

cnfowler
05-25-2010, 09:13 PM
Very nice information, TL. I worked on an '09 StreetGlide in black. Just as you described, it was a nightmare working on. I found using Meguiar's DC1 Paint Cleaner and a Meg's finishing pad (the hand held ones) worked great. It was the only thing I could come up with at the time.

That Harley paint is so stinkin' soft until I'd have mine repainted immediately if I ever bought one! I told the owner (friend), good luck on keeping that new bike lookin' good.

Colin

TLMitchell
05-25-2010, 09:53 PM
I worked on an '09 StreetGlide in black. Just as you described, it was a nightmare working on.

Good to know, I was starting to think it was just me. :confused:

I found using Meguiar's DC1 Paint Cleaner and a Meg's finishing pad (the hand held ones) worked great.

Which pads are those? Only thing I ever used are the yellow pads... mars that black like crazy! :eek:

That Harley paint is so stinkin' soft until I'd have mine repainted immediately if I ever bought one! I told the owner (friend), good luck on keeping that new bike lookin' good.

I had considered rattle can bedliner... just might be an improvement! :laughing:

TL