PDA

View Full Version : Section Pass???

rweekley
05-25-2010, 11:39 AM
Ok, I looked through alot of the post, but can't find what I am looking for. I'm at work, so I can't see videos right now and I am having a brain fart right now. One section pass is going from the left to the right/horizontally , working your way up or down/vertically, in, lets say in a 18"x18" area, right. Then your second section pass in the the same 18"x18" area, you work for top to botton/vertically from left to right/horizontally. And you continue alternating going from top to botton/vertically to left to right/horizontally for 6-8 section passes, correct. I also thought there was a diagram showing this, but I can't find it right now. Thanks!

WRAPT C5Z06
05-25-2010, 11:51 AM
>>>>>>>>>>>>
<<<<<<<<<<<<
>>>>>>>>>>>>
<<<<<<<<<<<<

1 section pass
Try 4-6 section passes

Mike Phillips
05-25-2010, 11:59 AM
Here's the thread with the definition written out,

Tips and Techniques for using the PC 7424XP Dual Action Polisher to remove Below Surface Defects (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/expert-tips/20021-tips-techniques-using-porter-cable-7424xp.html)

Here's the definition...

The definition of a pass
There are two definitions of the word pass as it relates to machine polishing with any type of machine.

Single Pass
A single pass is just that. It's when you move the polisher from one side of the section you're buffing to the other side of the section you're buffing. That's a single pass.

Section Pass
A section pass is when you move the polisher back and forth, or front to back with enough single overlapping passes to cover the entire section one time. That's a section pass.

In most cases if you're removing any substantial below surface defects you're going to make 6-8 section passes to the section you’re working before you either feel comfortable you've removed the defects or you're at the end of the buffing cycle for the product you're using.

:)

WRAPT C5Z06
05-25-2010, 12:03 PM
Here's the thread with the definition written out,

Tips and Techniques for using the PC 7424XP Dual Action Polisher to remove Below Surface Defects (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/expert-tips/20021-tips-techniques-using-porter-cable-7424xp.html)

Here's the definition...

The definition of a pass
There are two definitions of the word pass as it relates to machine polishing with any type of machine.

Single Pass
A single pass is just that. It's when you move the polisher from one side of the section you're buffing to the other side of the section you're buffing. That's a single pass.

Section Pass
A section pass is when you move the polisher back and forth, or front to back with enough single overlapping passes to cover the entire section one time. That's a section pass.

In most cases if you're removing any substantial below surface defects you're going to make 6-8 section passes to the section you’re working before you either feel comfortable you've removed the defects or you're at the end of the buffing cycle for the product you're using.

:)
Doh! I was wrong in my previous post. I actually thought 2 section passes is 1 section pass. I corrected it.

rweekley
05-25-2010, 12:16 PM
So one section pass is
one of these

>>>>>>>>>
<<<<<<<<<
>>>>>>>>>
<<<<<<<<<

and one of these

UDUDUDUDUD
UDUDUDUDUD
UDUDUDUDUD
UDUDUDUDUD

with U going up and the D coming down. Didn't have one of these "^" to represent going down.

Sorry Mike can't get the video portion right now.

Thanks.

WRAPT C5Z06
05-25-2010, 12:23 PM
So one section pass is
one of these

>>>>>>>>>
<<<<<<<<<
>>>>>>>>>
<<<<<<<<<

It's 1 of these. :dblthumb2:

rweekley
05-25-2010, 12:38 PM
Ok, I got it now that 1 section pass is

>>>>
<<<<
>>>>
<<<<

but for your second pass couldn't you go

UDUD
UDUD
UDUD
UDUD

again with the U going up and the D going down??

I just wish I knew where that diagram was at I found one time.

Thanks again!

WRAPT C5Z06
05-25-2010, 12:42 PM
>>>>>
<<<<<
>>>>>
<<<<<

ududu
ududu
ududu
ududu

>>>>>