PDA

View Full Version : How much for a wash and wax no interior?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Blackthorn One
05-24-2010, 07:55 PM
As the title says, just wash and apply wax or sealant, no interior detail, no claying, on a brand new Toyota Prius.What is a fair price, would you guys say?

Grizzly
05-24-2010, 08:39 PM
Whats the point of waxing or sealing a car without claying it first, all your doing is sealing the contamination and the wax or sealant will not bond to the vehicle.

$50, should take you an hour to do.

WRAPT C5Z06
05-24-2010, 08:47 PM
Whats the point of waxing or sealing a car without claying it first, all your doing is sealing the contamination and the wax or sealant will not bond to the vehicle.

I couldn't agree more!! :dblthumb2:

I just washed a toyota tundra today very thoroughly(wheels, tires, wheel wells), dressed exterior plastic trim, tires, and wheel wells. I also clayed and sealed. Total $100.

Blackthorn One
05-24-2010, 08:51 PM

The owner claims it doesn't need claying. The owner is also cheap. :) The owner has been told be someone he knows better than me who SEEMS to him to know about detailing, who says that claying isn't necessary, and that clay stains trim, ect. I told him I would do the plastic bag test and then see if it needs it, if yes, then clay, if not, great, no clay. I told him $40 already for wash and wax. I said $60 if clay in addition to wash and wax, and I'd do the rubber. Basically I have to stand by the $40 for the wash and wax, but I thought I would ask for opinions, at least for future jobs. Thank you for your input. I also want to say to the owner that I consulted with other detailers on price, and this is it

JohnnyC
05-24-2010, 08:58 PM
Sounds like more trouble then it's worth.I would charge him $50 just for the wash and wax.It's a small car.

Blackthorn One
05-24-2010, 09:06 PM
So $60 would be reasonable for was clay and wax only? Also, I was thinking of using WGDGPS or Collinite 915. Frankly, I was thinking of using Natty's red. Would that be appropriate? Would it last? Should I be charging extra for the WGDGPS?

rwright
05-24-2010, 10:28 PM
I would do Collinite because it is cheap. You know that the customer's know-it-all friend will recommend an OTC wax that contains cleaners and all progress you make will be wiped away. I agree with the others, clay the car. Your price seems fair due to the size of the car. One thing you may want to do is call around to other detail shops in your area and check pricing for similar services.

Lasthope05
05-24-2010, 11:44 PM
I charge $60 for a wash and wax. I also apply whatever wax/sealant I feel like at the time or if the customer wants something specific I dont charge extra, be it souveran or nattys.

I cant justify up charging a wax unless it's a higher-end boutique wax like swissvax. Souveran is a pretty cheap wax only really worth +/- $60.

PAR Detailing
05-25-2010, 06:08 AM
I also dont charge any extra for a sealant or wax (unless they want both). I give them what they want or what I think will be best. I have "higher" end wax that I use as a selling point that I put on corrected vehicles but I wont put it on a wash and wax job because it is not the easiest to apply. Its RBOE. On the clay matter, Just clay it I can almost guarentee it needs it. I always clay a vehicle even if they arent paying for it. Thats where I want to give the customer the best service. If he isnt paying you for claying it then clay the touching surfaces like the top half of the vehicle. I understand how you want the wax or sealant to adhere properly and all but if they arent paying for it then I clay just the top half of the vehicle. I feel like it just really enhances the simple wash and wax job.

Jon

Rsurfer
05-25-2010, 06:25 AM

:iagree:that you should clay if there are contaminates on the paint, but saying the wax or sealant will not bond is very questionable. Do you have proof that this is true?

Wax Gorilla
05-25-2010, 06:29 AM
$100 and another $35 to $50 to clay it. My wash and wax on a large sedan or small SUV would always run close to 2 hours. I am almost always able to sell additional services. Wax Upgrade full dress of Tires and Plastics. Wiper treatement, Glass Treatment. Mild Interior detail. I cannot remember the last time I did not collect atleast $200 for touching a vehicle.

A4 1.8tqm
05-25-2010, 02:54 PM
:iagree:that you should clay if there are contaminates on the paint, but saying the wax or sealant will not bond is very questionable. Do you have proof that this is true?

In my experience it is very important to clay first (even more important is polishing though). I say this because after first trying Autoglym HD I started putting it on all my friends cars (or let them do it themselves), one car was not clayed (even though it needed it, the owner just doesn't care to do it) and the beading/sheeting wasn't even comparable to others. Whether this is a lack of bonding, or that contaminates are hindering those traits, I don't know but I figure the wax just bonds to the contaminates. As is always said, prep is key and I couldn't agree more.

Rsurfer
05-25-2010, 03:42 PM
In my experience it is very important to clay first (even more important is polishing though). I say this because after first trying Autoglym HD I started putting it on all my friends cars (or let them do it themselves), one car was not clayed (even though it needed it, the owner just doesn't care to do it) and the beading/sheeting wasn't even comparable to others. Whether this is a lack of bonding, or that contaminates are hindering those traits, I don't know but I figure the wax just bonds to the contaminates. As is always said, prep is key and I couldn't agree more.:iagree:again. It was not so much the claying as it was the surface contaminates on the paint. If you don't clay or polish at least use a paint cleaner before LSP.

Chriswashwax
06-09-2010, 01:50 AM
I usually charge 40$ wash wax for car, 50$ for truck/suv which includes a quick vacuum/dash sweep/microfibre on the windshield.
It takes about 1 1/2 hour car, 2 hour truck
Pinnacle +10$
Clay 25$ car 30$ truck.
I try to make + 20$ and hour. 20$ for the labor and the + for inventory.
I thought i was cheap but many people have similiar prices...
And if you think about it. Not everyone is disposed to spend 100$+ on car detailling.

Chriswashwax
06-09-2010, 01:54 AM
Blackthorne, your price of 60$ clay and wax is super reasonable
Always figure 20$/hour + generous material cost