PDA

View Full Version : Best OTC clay

Pages : [1] 2

Jenn1270
05-23-2010, 08:21 PM
Once again it is time to clay the Pilot and I was wondering what was the best OTC clay.

Jenn

Shane731
05-23-2010, 08:29 PM
I'd go with Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay kit. You can usually find it wherever car cleaning stuff is sold. You get 2 50 gram clay bars, a 16 oz. bottle of Quik Detailer, a sample bottle of Cleaner Wax, a clay storage case, and a Supreme Shine Microfiber for about $16. The Clay Magic kit is good as well. You can probably find it at Auto Zone - you get a 100 gram clay bar and a 12 oz. bottle of clay lube for between $10 and $15 - I can't remember the exact price. There is a place near me that sells performance products for cars that carries both the Meguiar's blue mild clay and the red aggressive clay, but you probably won't find that. The Meguiar's clay kit or the Clay Magic kit would be your best bet, IMO.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41NY3uaScZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
http://www.i4detailing.co.uk/acatalog/claymagickit1.jpg

cobalt9123
05-23-2010, 08:30 PM
:iagree:

rwright
05-23-2010, 09:31 PM
To be honest I like Mothers clay over Meg's. I've been using Meg's OTC clay for years and recently tried out Mothers. The only down side to Mothers is replacement bars are not available in bulk like Meg's. Not enough to keep me from buying it though. Swissvax Paint Rubber is actually Clay Magic. At least that's how it's listed on their US site.

PAR Detailing
05-23-2010, 09:33 PM
Id go with clay magic personally. I like it the best out of all three

Jon

Shane731
05-23-2010, 09:50 PM
To be honest I like Mothers clay over Meg's. I've been using Meg's OTC clay for years and recently tried out Mothers. The only down side to Mothers is replacement bars are not available in bulk like Meg's. Not enough to keep me from buying it though. Swissvax Paint Rubber is actually Clay Magic. At least that's how it's listed on their US site.

I tried the Mother's clay kit once and didn't like it. Meguiar's clay kit FTW! :xyxthumbs:

Jenn1270
05-23-2010, 10:03 PM
Where does one find the clay magic?

Shane731
05-23-2010, 10:09 PM
Where does one find the clay magic?

I think Advance Auto used to carry it, now I can only find it at Auto Zone.

Jenn1270
05-23-2010, 10:12 PM
I think Advance Auto used to carry it, now I can only find it at Auto Zone.

I will check out the Autozone tomorrow afternoon. We don't have advance here.

Jenn

cobalt9123
05-23-2010, 10:43 PM
I tried the Mother's clay kit once and didn't like it. Meguiar's clay kit FTW! :xyxthumbs:

I tried the kit and it was okay, But the clay didn't seem to work with anything but the spray detailer that came with it.

cnfowler
05-23-2010, 10:44 PM
The best OTC clay? That's easy. The one you like the best. I can't say I'd take someone's word for it when it comes to detailing products. There are too many subjective things. For example, rwright said he loved Mother's clay. I, personally, hate it. Used it for 5 seconds and threw it away. Does that mean its not the best for rwright? Nope. Try what you can find and come up with your own conclusion. Have fun.

Colin

WRAPT C5Z06
05-23-2010, 11:41 PM
Clay magic > all

Autozone

Bunky
05-24-2010, 07:40 PM
I have tried both Mothers and Meguiars. The difference to me is Mothers Showtime...very nice. At first I thought Mothers was not as aggressive so I grabbed a Meg's bar and saw little difference in true "claying power" when I used both with Mothers Showtime. With Meg's QD if you ventured beyond the sprayed zone, it got very grabby or mushy. It seems like Showtime coats the clay more and felt safer with Showtime.

maximus20895
05-24-2010, 08:12 PM
I would like to know why you guys prefer one over the other.

Lasthope05
05-25-2010, 02:38 AM
I would like to know why you guys prefer one over the other.

You'll get varying answers. Thats like asking why one would like chocolate over vanilla.

Its all perception and personal preference. Some might feel one doesnt clay as well, another might feel its the best. One is too soft. One is too hard...etc.

Clay in the states are all basically the same thing aside from aggressiveness.