PDA

View Full Version : The Right Clay for the Job

CBX Carl
05-23-2010, 12:16 PM
I've got a white '99 Ford van that has been neglected. Metal brake dust has embedded itself to the rear doors. Feels like fine sandpaper to the touch. What clay should I use in this situation? Correct plan of attack? Thanks for the replies...

ScottB
05-23-2010, 12:21 PM
you certainly might wanna try the most aggressive clay (Meguiars Burgundy) in this case, but generally any clay would do.

HighEndDetail
05-23-2010, 12:23 PM
I usually use a medium grade clay when claying. So if I were doing it, it would be medium.
You could use a more aggressive clay, since it is white

InTheBuff
05-23-2010, 01:52 PM
Not to hijack this thread, but is there a guide that tells you, or rates each of the clays that are out there in terms of what they are good for/will remove, look like, feel, hardness, etc.?

I think that would help folks decide what clays might be right for them. For instance, I always had good luck with Griot's clay and Speed Shine. I tried some Mother's clay, and did not like it at all.

Do different clays interact with selants, paints, etc. to make the grip harder or softer when you use them?

cobalt9123
05-23-2010, 02:56 PM
Just so you know, if there is metal EMBEDDED in your paint (it's rusting) claying will not REMOVE the metal. It will get rid of the parts sticking out of the paint (the parts you feel-like sandpaper) but will not REMOVE all of the below surface contaminants.

For that, you will need this:
Finish Kare Paint Decontamination System, auto paint cleaning system, de-contamination solution (http://www.autogeek.net/finish-kare-paint-cleaning-system.html)

I will be doing a write-up and how-to as soon as I can find a camera that will actually capture what I am doing (All I have is an iPhone right now...):props:

Fly bye
05-23-2010, 03:04 PM
For that, you will need this:

Finish Kare Paint Decontamination System, auto paint cleaning system, de-contamination solution (http://www.autogeek.net/finish-kare-paint-cleaning-system.html)

:bump:

I wouldn't dream of rubbing clay across a painted surface with small metal particles attatched (bonded) to it.

CBX Carl
05-23-2010, 04:12 PM
I wouldn't dream of rubbing clay across a painted surface with small metal particles attatched (bonded) to it.

Good point. There is alight yellow hue on the doors. Probably rust.

cobalt9123
05-23-2010, 05:53 PM
Good point. There is alight yellow hue on the doors. Probably rust.
You can find a cheap $10 microscope at Radio Shack (atleast 10X) that will allow you to look closer at the defects to see if they are paint overspray, rust spots from metal particles, or something else. It's a $10 well spent. As I said, I will be doing this to my White cobalt SS soon (using the Paint Decontamination System) followed by an application of D151 to get rid of minor swirls and then DP Poli Coat/Natty's Blue.

I get them in my paint because I park literally 10' away from train tracks and they are heavily used, nothing to stop them from my paint, not even trees. Also, right next to my shop is a place called "Olympic Steel" that mines for steel and other metals....great luck, HUH? :nomore:

Fly bye
06-20-2010, 05:48 PM
Isn't Natty's Blue more suited for dark colored finishes?

WRAPT C5Z06
06-20-2010, 06:10 PM
Isn't Natty's Blue more suited for dark colored finishes?

Yes.

Fly bye
06-20-2010, 06:15 PM
"White"