PDA

View Full Version : Which pad textures are most common for the rotary?

Avengeance
11-01-2006, 10:27 AM
Im trying to nail down what specific pads I want to keep in my arsenal now that Im going to be moving to a rotary.

So far... from all the reading Im doing... it seems 6" pads are the top choice for the rotary. For some reason I had a preconceived notion that the bigger pads were the "way to go" for the rotary. This is why I bought the E2K Wave 8" pack.. Yellow/Green/Blue/White. Now that I think of it I probably wont even use the white.. since Im gonna use my PC to apply LSPs.

Now, Ive already gone and ordered some 7.5" Curved Edge VC pads because I figured theyd be nice for both rotary and PC.

With all that said.. do I even need 8" pads? From the Edge pads which will I use most with the rotary? (color) From the LC lineup.. which will I use most with the rotary? (color) Should I go with E2K wave 6"ers?

Im trying to do two things here... figure out which ones Ill be "stapling" when using the rotary and at the same time eliminate the "waste of $" factor by not ordering pads I wont use with the rotary. (I still have a PC for LSPs)

Thanks in advance....

ScottB
11-01-2006, 07:11 PM
I hear most using the middle pad (white) on rotary's and smaller heads that the PC counterpart.

joe.p
11-01-2006, 11:24 PM
Now, Ive already gone and ordered some 7.5" Curved Edge VC pads because I figured theyd be nice for both rotary and PC.you wont be dissapointed with the white 7".5" LC pads there soft as a babies butt and with the right componds theres not much you can't do with them..if you need to a little more cutting power bumb upto the LC 7".5" orand pads..

sparkie
11-01-2006, 11:55 PM
I been looking to upgrade to a rotary! Been looking at the Edge 8 inch kit. Has anybody used this kit? Is this kit for a beginner or do I need to look at something else? I played with a rotary with 3m pads on a car maybe a month ago, I love the speed of it. I hated giving it back.
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/autogeek_1920_76032750

joe.p
11-02-2006, 01:08 AM
I been looking to upgrade to a rotary! Been looking at the Edge 8 inch kit. Has anybody used this kit? Is this kit for a beginner or do I need to look at something else? I played with a rotary with 3m pads on a car maybe a month ago, I love the speed of it. I hated giving it back.
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/autogeek_1920_76032750
Depends how much more abbrassive they are to another brand. you can always use them on the rotory.. if you have a problem with the Clear Coat,door edges,coming to close the the plastic molding,trim etc you can call Arron..my advice is to start out slow ..i did

sparkie
11-02-2006, 01:36 AM
Depends how much more abbrassive they are to another brand. you can always use them on the rotory.. if you have a problem with the Clear Coat,door edges,coming to close the the plastic molding,trim etc you can call Arron..my advice is to start out slow ..i did

Thanks Joe! By the way, I have a hood to play on. Start out about 1000, work my way up. Do know of any link that has step by step on using rotorys?

Avengeance
11-02-2006, 02:11 AM
Thanks guys!

So this is what Im thinking... 4 each of the Orange/Green/White in 7.5" VC Curved Edge LC pads and I should be good to go huh? Ill probably grab a couple each of the white and green (maybe orange) LC constant pressure pads in the 6.5" size for smaller areas? I also have a spot buff kit coming too.

Im going to use the PC and either a E2K white pad or Megs finishing pad for the LSPs so I dont think I need any of the LC finessing or finishing pads.

ScottB
11-02-2006, 05:57 PM
I too really like the Edge kit ... and I was a diehard LC fan. Problem is I need to get use to the different colors versus abrasive quality.

joe.p
11-02-2006, 07:10 PM
Thanks Joe! By the way, I have a hood to play on. Start out about 1000, work my way up. Do know of any link that has step by step on using rotorys?
There are links blkyukon may know..if you have test panel your set to go plat around with the pads and get a feel with what they can do..I viewed some of work and think you'll get the hang of it. Dosen't megs have video on rotory polishing..

I just want to say i'm not reffering you to one pad over the E2k pads,for me its a difference of preffernce..All i can say is i used the LC pads a little over a year without any mishaps. I dunno maybe its me..

[QUOTESo this is what Im thinking... 4 each of the Orange/Green/White in 7.5" VC Curved Edge LC pads and I should be good to go huh? Ill probably grab a couple each of the white and green (maybe orange) LC constant pressure pads in the 6.5" size for smaller areas? I also have a spot buff kit coming too.

Im going to use the PC and either a E2K white pad or Megs finishing pad for the LSPs so I dont think I need any of the LC finessing or finishing pads.
[/QUOTE]Your pretty serious about this :applause:

justin_murphy
11-02-2006, 07:20 PM
I too am in the process of getting a rotary.
I will purchasing the Edge Wave Pad Kit. The waves help to dissapate heat. I'm being told that I can cut my polishing times in half......if not more....with a rotary. I've already got my black Audi hood (hardddddd clear coat) to practice on.

Avengeance
11-02-2006, 08:29 PM
Your pretty serious about this :applause:

What can I say.... Im addicted. :righton: LOL

The last several months have been very lucrative even though I only detail on the weekends. I did do a few overnighters that customers let me keep during the week... which was nice. Im going to take advantage of the colder months to practice on the rotary. I just want to get all the bases covered and be 110% ready for when this winter season ends... then its GO time. :awesome:

FWIW Ive decided to go all out with the LC VC 7.5" pads as they seem to be a good versatile size to be used on both PC and rotary. I just finished up my order for the rest of the arsenal.... should be all here by next week. I figure I dont need any of the 6"ers right yet because I have a spot buff kit coming too.

Justin.. I may not jump into the 8" E2K waves I bought.. I think I may just play with the LC VC 7.5"ers for a while. Not sure how soon you are planning on trying them out but if I dont break them open would you maybe want them? Let me know buddy. :cheers:

sparkie
11-02-2006, 09:31 PM
Justin, I'm making sure I got this right. Are you talking about these:
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/autogeek_1919_3417818

If so, you will need to buy the 5/8 adapter also. See if AG can have this all together in a kit. More bang for the buck!
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/autogeek_1922_41304234

joe.p
11-03-2006, 01:11 AM
What can I say.... Im addicted. :righton: LOL

The last several months have been very lucrative even though I only detail on the weekends. I did do a few overnighters that customers let me keep during the week... which was nice. Im going to take advantage of the colder months to practice on the rotary. I just want to get all the bases covered and be 110% ready for when this winter season ends... then its GO time. :awesome:

FWIW Ive decided to go all out with the LC VC 7.5" pads as they seem to be a good versatile size to be used on both PC and rotary. I just finished up my order for the rest of the arsenal.... should be all here by next week. I figure I dont need any of the 6"ers right yet because I have a spot buff kit coming too.

:Now that your detailing on the side the extra products will be there when you need them. I did what you did.. i picked up stuff i didn't need at the time and man it came in handy to have in my arsenal.Kudos to you on such a nice set up..