PDA

View Full Version : Care of trim after painting?

dsurls
05-23-2010, 06:30 AM
Hello,
I recently purchased and applied Wurth Satin Black Trim Paint to the trim (cladding, bumpers, grill, door handles) on my Nissan Xterra. It looks great! I have a couple of questions, however, about next steps:

How soon after painting the trim can I wash the vehicle? I plan to use Meguiar’s Wash and Wax car shampoo.
Is there anything I should or should not use to care and protect the trim paint going forward? For instance, some kind of “quick detailer” spray or polish or wax?

Thanks for all the help!

David

ShaunD
01-08-2011, 11:37 PM
Wow, did you ever get an answer from this post? I just came a across it. In case you never got a an answer(which I am sure you figured something out by now) I will give me 2 cents. I have had pretty good results with using Wolfgang's pre-wax polish enhancher on most plastics/lenses and smooth/solid rubber trim. This has given me a clean, polished look as long as I don't apply with an abrasive applicator. To cover whatever you treat the trim with Aerospace protectant 303 gives a little more shine and adds a SPF protective coating. 303 is a great all around protectant and shine enhancer for any surface. It really works great on clear plastic like radio faces and gauge clusters, and tail lenses. Hope this was helpful.
Happy Detailing

builthatch
01-09-2011, 12:27 AM
i hate to bump this old thread again, but i have to say that OP painted his trim. it isn't bare plastic/rubber any longer, it's painted with Wurth trim paint.

The answer is to use a sealant and/or preferred wax. it's paint, so you need to protect it like you would any other painted piece on your car.

ShaunD
01-09-2011, 12:45 AM
Thanks built. I over looked that. See what happens when you reply too quickly after three sleepless nights of detailing the neighbors Lincoln TC.lol Either way he should use the WF pre-wax ph and cover w/ WF ps. I use ps on my plastic and rubber trim as well after polishing and it keeps it shining. I know not the best thing prob for trim but I use what I have and liked the results so far. Will breakdown and buy the real trim stuff some day soon.
Thanks again for the correction.