PDA

View Full Version : Air Compressor tools?

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
05-22-2010, 03:23 AM
Well I might as well start out by saying...I want an air compressor...I should also add that I have NO idea what to look for when buying one lol.

I would like to buy something that has a little more power than i need...and would like to be able to use air tools such as air wrenches and sanders without any lack of power. I also wouldnt mind (one day) to get a little paint set up and give painting a bad pannel a try and see how bad i can do :).

Back to the point...I dont know what to look for! Ive seen many reviews saying that the PSI is kind of like the megapixel in a camera...its blow out of proportion as far as its ultimate importance...I know it matters, but its sounds like there are a lot of other variables that need to be considered OTHER than just the PSI.

I've seen people with an air compressor and they end up having to stand there and wait X amount of time just for the thing to pump back up! I really dont want to run into that problem, but also dont want a huge hot water heater size compressor either lol...just something thats portable but powerful and reliable.

So...if someone could point out..

A: what specs. i should look for

B: good/reliable brands

C: compressors they've used and had good luck (or bad luck) with

Id be greatly appreciative.

Thanks all

maximus20895
05-22-2010, 03:36 AM
I don't know much about air tools but I'm pretty sure you are going to need a big tank if you want to use those and a paint gun.

jwellsii
05-22-2010, 08:53 AM
The compressor needs to have enough CFM's for the tools you want to use. Most compressors have labels on them that will tell you what tools it's compatible with. :buffing:

daveinsweethome
05-22-2010, 10:14 AM
like they said cfm s are the key. it must be able to power each tool without overheating. you should take precautions regarding water in the lines. easiest thing i can say is go to home depot or lowes and get cozy with their tool guy he should be able to tell you. get the right fittings for your tool the first time and avoid a second trip

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
05-22-2010, 11:10 AM
lol finding a guy at home depot in the tool section who knows what their talking about is like finding a diamond in the rough......had one guy who really seemed to know what he was talking about but then he got transfered to another store (go figure)....maybe they got someone new in who has a little bit of an idea *crosses fingers*

So what are CFM's anyway? (told you i dont know much about air compressors lol)

cnfowler
05-22-2010, 11:28 AM
CFM stands for cubic feet per minute. This is the volume of air the compressor can supply. Air tools take A LOT of air volume to run. Check the CFM requirements on the air tools you want, then pick a compressor that exceeds those requirements.

Colin

cnfowler
05-22-2010, 11:34 AM
You'll also want a tank big enough to support the air hungry tools. You don't want your compressor running the whole time you're working. Only the super expensive compressors have a 100% duty cycle, meaning the compressor can run the whole time and not burn up.

Colin

5.4 Shelby
05-22-2010, 11:50 AM
I have had my Craftsman 20 gal, 5hp (dont remember CFM) for at least 10 years. Has been flawless. Never have to wait on it to fill the tank. I use impact wrenches, orbitals, cutoff tools, chisels, trim nailers, framing and roofing nailers. Never painted with it.

roscoe
05-22-2010, 01:08 PM
there are some portable compressors that are rated for continous run believe dewalt has one. a friend has one he uses on a construction site and he loves it

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
05-22-2010, 02:04 PM
there are some portable compressors that are rated for continous run believe dewalt has one. a friend has one he uses on a construction site and he loves it

Yeah a small one that will run strong is what id prefer...happen to know exactly which one he has? I know dewalt makes good products so id feel safe with them.

Thanks to everyone else for all the info, its really helpful...I guess the other thing i should ask is...what type of tools do you guys use...what brands/good deals and prices have you come across that have worked well? Also what tools do you find yourself using the most lol.

Mike Phillips
06-08-2010, 07:50 AM
Moved out of "How to Articles" and into "Detailing 101"

The forum group How to Articles is actually for "how to articles", this is articles that explain how to do something.

:)

So.Cal.
06-08-2010, 02:24 PM
The tool I use most often is the blow gun.
As far as size, are you looking for portable or not and if not depending on how much your going to use a big unit 220v is more efficient.
CFM, Continue use. It all depends like they said what you want to do with it.
I will work at my buddies garage if I have a larger project to tackle but I won't start up his Compressor just to blow off some dust. It has an 80 gallon tank and we joke cost's $5.00 every time it starts.

Quality of tools ranges, I own bluepoint,snap on, huskey. I try to avoid harbor freight and always oil my tools and drain the moisture out of my tank. When you get into painting you will need an air/water seperator like this maybe not as fancy.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/uploads/17809/dryer.jpg

As far as type of tools, there are so many for so many different jobs. Blow gun / 3/8 air ratchet / 1/2 impact probably are my most used unless I'm fabricating. then its specialty grinders mini air saw, etc.

and I am a fan of the quick disconnect fittings.

good luck!

RaskyR1
06-08-2010, 02:51 PM
I suggest getting something with at least a 60 gal tank if you plan to be using a lot of air tools, especially if you plan to do any painting....unless you like to hear the motor running 24/7 that is. ;)

I went with a 60gal IR which has worked well but when doing a lot of sanding and painting I often wish I had a 80gal.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/Raskyr1/done3.jpg

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
06-08-2010, 03:24 PM
I suggest getting something with at least a 60 gal tank if you plan to be using a lot of air tools, especially if you plan to do any painting....unless you like to hear the motor running 24/7 that is. ;)

I went with a 60gal IR which has worked well but when doing a lot of sanding and painting I often wish I had a 80gal.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/Raskyr1/done3.jpg

Wow, nice garage :). I dont think i could go for a 60-80 at the moment. Maybe I should stick with something portable for what i'll be doing most (detailing) and then upgrade to a bigger unit once I get the money and the space lol.

I know id use the blower attachment a lot. It would be nice to be able to use 1/2 impact (thou i would always check to make sure whatever im using it on is tight with a torque wrench when im done:) ) just to help speed certain things up. Not too sure what else id use it for since painting with a little guy probably wouldnt be the best idea. Maybe use an air sander and saws?

So.Cal.
06-09-2010, 11:25 AM
Nice Garage Rasky!