PDA

View Full Version : Never detailed before, need supplies, have to buy in stages.

Tiffanator
05-21-2010, 01:36 PM
Hi all, sorry for the long title, but want to get the point across so people don't waste their time clicking the link for "yet another noob."
Anyway, I've never detailed anything before, in fact, I'm a detailer's worst nightmare. However, I am in the 12 step program to cure that, ok, not really, but I have always wanted my vehicles to be clean, just never knew what to do or use, it's quite overwhelming. So glad I found this site, just reading about products, studying the how-to articles and watching the videos has taken everything from clear as mud to clear as slightly dirty water. Now I just need to buy some goodies and get to work.
Now for my problem, the majority of my supplies are Wal-Mart or AutoZone specials and I know I can't use them. I don't have the money right now to buy EVERYTHING that I know I need, so I have to buy in stages. I currently have a 1999 Mustang GT convertible that is in dire need of TLC so I have been making a list of everything I hope to eventually get and am trying to break it into levels of importance.

For the first purchase I'm thinking I'm going to get Meguiar's NXT Generation car wash, Ragtopp vinyl convertible top kit, Meguiar's clay kit, DP Max Wax and Meguiar's NXT Generation Glass cleaner.

Once my bank account recovers from that purchase I want to get a PC7424XP kit with pads, Meguiar's #105/205, and a little something for the wheels.

This is a commuter car that has some chips, cracks and peels from a shoddy repaint at some point in it's life. I don't need it to look show quality, but I want to eventually remove as many swirls as I can and give it some decent protection. If I ever get time I have a whole list of things that need to be done to the car, but I paint motorcycles and PWCs on top of a 40 hour a week job and everything has taken a back seat with people wanting there stuff done for summer.
Anyway, sorry for the long post... do my choices seem ok? Anything else that is a must have on the first purchase. I'd love to run out and immediately wash, clay, compound, polish, and seal the paint, restore the headlights, glass, and top, but need to make smart purchases.
Thanks again.
Tiff.

tuscarora dave
05-21-2010, 02:11 PM
That sounds like enough to do a nice wash, clay and wax. Do you have a decent wash mitt and bucket? Maybe a decent wheel brush too. With a good process to would be surprised what you can achieve with over the counter products. Good luck and Welcome to the world of detailing.:dblthumb2:

ScottB
05-21-2010, 02:55 PM
I often suggest to local friends with budget issues two items:

1. Buy the basics now, items you will use in future (ie. wash/wax/towels)

2. Save some $$ and put away until you can afford the kit or buffer desired. (dont commingle with other funds)

In no time you will impress yourself and others and learn a very valuable less. "Live Within Your Means" and I add, and dont worry about the Jones (they live on credit anyhoo).

Tiffanator
05-21-2010, 03:08 PM
Thanks guys. I just bought a wash mitt, not an expensive one, but it is brand new. Don't have a car wash specific bucket, but plan on using 2 buckets from now on. I also just bought a wheel brush and some smaller brushes for the crevices.
Thanks for the advice killr... I absolutely believe in living within my means, I could probably drop the money on a whole setup, but don't want to make that big of a purchase all at once. The Jones are up to their eyeballs in debt and everything I have other than my house is paid for. (yay!)
While I'm asking questions... Is there any special way you guys wash your towels, mitts and pads? I don't want to be throwing them in the washer and destroying them, but then again I want to make sure I get all of the dirt/product residue out.
Thanks
Tiff.

Dubbin1
05-21-2010, 06:20 PM
whoops didn't read it all :)