PDA

View Full Version : Don't want to be pessemistic BUT.....

animescreen
05-20-2010, 04:08 PM
So i really like nice shiny cars, and I admit the journey is fun in mainatining your car... But most americans really don't get so detailed in there cars and just use them for driving and that's all.. (maybe occasional washing and vaccuming)... I mention this because I'll spend hours detailing and taking care of the car then i park somewhere far where no one is around.. but sticks out like a sore thumb and seems like it's more a target then safe.. always vision teenage groups walking by and seeing and wants to key it or something.. (hasn't happened yet) But what does happen is door dings, scuff marks, and scrapes when people park close to me... And almost happens all the time in city driving where parrallel parking in tight areas.. I know insurance companies sometimes will cover the cost but sometimes the body shop doesn't paint right and that's a problem in itself... so with all that said.. is it still worth diving into and putting time and money into serious detailing? cause im wondering if i should be playing hours of tennis instead of in my garage and doing this...

A4 1.8tqm
05-20-2010, 04:12 PM
I quoted myself from your other thread-

Since I found AG, it first became "the quest for perfection", but I soon realized that my daily driver is under too much stress to ever keep it "perfect". I quickly (a year) came to terms with the difference between a Daily Driver and a Garage Queen/Show Car and I don't go chasing every RID, but still keep it polished swirl-free and waxed. Now I feel like when I do have a Garage Queen, at least I'll know how to properly take care of it.

Wax Gorilla
05-20-2010, 04:17 PM
I fall in the middle of where your at. I of course am obsessed with a perfect finish and as a matter of principle try to keep my Dailey Drivers washed once or twice a week and then do montly claying, minor correction, polish wax and sealent. :) . I have managed to maintain 4 to 5 of our Family's Vehicles with that grind for more than a decade.

fancyfootwork
05-20-2010, 08:03 PM
I find myself parking further away also. To be optimistic about it.. you get exercise walking more of a distance, haha. I would just do what A4 said and don't get too worked up about every RID if its a daily driver, just try to keep it clean, swirl-free, and waxed.

Shane731
05-20-2010, 08:55 PM
Really, with a daily driver, you just do what you can. I don't obsess over every little scratch or ding or go outside and wipe my car down every day, but I do what I can to keep my daily driver looking her best. And I have heard many times, "That is the cleanest Cutlass Ciera I've ever seen."

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/../gallery/data/500/medium/P4230141.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/18563/size/big/cat/ppuser/24886)

Fred114
05-20-2010, 11:26 PM
So i really like nice shiny cars, and I admit the journey is fun in mainatining your car... But most americans really don't get so detailed in there cars and just use them for driving and that's all.. (maybe occasional washing and vaccuming)... I mention this because I'll spend hours detailing and taking care of the car then i park somewhere far where no one is around.. but sticks out like a sore thumb and seems like it's more a target then safe.. always vision teenage groups walking by and seeing and wants to key it or something.. (hasn't happened yet) But what does happen is door dings, scuff marks, and scrapes when people park close to me... And almost happens all the time in city driving where parrallel parking in tight areas.. I know insurance companies sometimes will cover the cost but sometimes the body shop doesn't paint right and that's a problem in itself... so with all that said.. is it still worth diving into and putting time and money into serious detailing? cause im wondering if i should be playing hours of tennis instead of in my garage and doing this...

I would say if you would rather play tennis, play tennis. If you would rather spend hours on your car, do that. Neither would be a waste of time if you are doing what you want to do. My car will never be a show car, but I do love trying to make it one. The garage is where I enjoy myself, cleaning and beautifying my car is what I like to do. I can't worry about if someone else damages my car. If it happens, it happens. I will keep doing what I do to make it look good.
Oh, I do think lots of Americans are quite car crazy, maybe not most like you said, but lots. :)

animescreen
05-20-2010, 11:35 PM
Really, with a daily driver, you just do what you can. I don't obsess over every little scratch or ding or go outside and wipe my car down every day, but I do what I can to keep my daily driver looking her best. And I have heard many times, "That is the cleanest Cutlass Ciera I've ever seen."

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/../gallery/data/500/medium/P4230141.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/18563/size/big/cat/ppuser/24886)

hehe so your saying lot of people have daily driving cars and cars they stash and work on and leave alone and occasionally bring out? Having two or more cars must have focus power and discipline.. let alone cost...... I actually wouldn't mind having a daily driver car and keep it clean and another car for total show/hobby... but i dont' know much about cars and not mechanically inclined so i'll probally screw up the show car.. :buffing:

But... are there people who are very detailed and crazy about even there daily driving cars? i feel im kind of like that and wondering if i should let up a little.

BobbyG
05-21-2010, 06:30 AM
To be perfectly honest, detailing, while it is allot of work, is relaxing to me. I enjoy going through all the steps watching the vehicles interior / exterior become better than new. It's something that I take pride in and I've been this way since I was a teen.... and that was a long time ago.

trhland
05-21-2010, 07:11 AM
To be perfectly honest, detailing, while it is allot of work, is relaxing to me. I enjoy going through all the steps watching the vehicles interior / exterior become better than new. It's something that I take pride in and I've been this way since I was a teen.... and that was a long time ago.

i agree with you.. i enjoy doing it . and i take my time..i never rush..and waxing is the most enjoyable...

molarman
05-21-2010, 07:44 AM
its nice to hear others like myself who enjoy keeping the dd in good shape.
my dad would let me use his car while i was in high school (back in the 60's) if i would wash it and vacuum the interior beforehand. so when some of us old guys had to buy our own cars, seems like we learned to take good care of them imo. and yes, it really irks me when others park too close and ding your car.

A4 1.8tqm
05-21-2010, 04:15 PM
It really irks me when others park too close and ding your car.

I always try to park in a spot next to a curb and pull in with the drivers side wheels as close as possible to the curb. This gives a lot of room for error on the other side, the passenger side :). Also if I can, I park next to a car that is clean and looks like the owner takes good care of the vehicle. Just Reducing the potential... :dblthumb2:

5.4 Shelby
05-21-2010, 04:26 PM
I do have the luxury of owning a DD and a toy. I keep the toy immaculate, of course. My Daily Driver, while not perfect, does get its fair share of attention. Like CieraSL, I get a lot of comments on my 98 truck with 117,000 miles. A lot of "let me know when you are ready to sell it."

As others have said, it is very relaxing for me to go out to the garage and work on them. The stresses of daily life and work are no where near my shop. It is a haven for me away from the crap. I can focus on the project and be quite satisfied with the results. For some tennis is their thing. For me it is car polishing, detailing and golf (when I can). Can't golf at night, but, I can work on my cars.