PDA

View Full Version : Funky Smell

97zman
05-18-2010, 04:23 PM
Hello everyone,
It's been a while, good to be back on the forum. Hopefully this is the right place to post this.

I have an odor in my truck that I can't seem to get rid of. I suspected that it was wet leaves etc since I have to park it outside. It doesn't leak so I have no wet carpet etc. I removed the cowl and cleaned all of that out as well as behind the fenders. I also removed the blower and cleaned the pine needles etc from that area as well. The odor has diminished somewhat but is still there. I was checking out the Clean Air Kit (CA-300) in the store and was wondering if anyone has used this. If not I am opened to other suggestions as well. I would rather not just cover the smell with scents.

Thanks,
Mike

So.Cal.
05-18-2010, 04:28 PM
Curious, Does the odor get worse or do you get blasted in the face with it when you turn on the A/C? And, have you checked all the carpets to see if any are wet, or if its not to hard pull up the carpet to see if there is mold/mildew on the padding?

97zman
05-18-2010, 04:41 PM
The odor is pretty much the same all the time and is less now that I did the cleaning and removed all of the wet leaves etc. I'll check under the carpets but there is no evidence of any wetness on top.

AeroCleanse
05-18-2010, 05:25 PM
If it has a cabin air filter you should change it. Also check the AC drain to make sure its not blocked. You can try 1z-einszett Klima Kleen

Dubbin1
05-18-2010, 06:36 PM
If the smell is coming from the air box then give this a shot 1Z Einszett Klima-Cleaner Air Conditioner Treatment (http://www.autogeek.net/1z-einszett-klima-cleaner-air-freshener.html) My wifes work car had a musty odor so i just tried this stuff and so far its been working great as there is no longer an odor.

97zman
05-18-2010, 07:18 PM
Excellent, thanks. It is a musty sort of smell. My 97 Z71 is way before cabin filters. I was able to clear the drain by pulling out the blower motor. Thanks for the info on the product. I will get some asap.

Thanks again.

ScottB
05-19-2010, 07:22 AM
older vehicles have what I believe they called and open system versus a closed system. As such you could have mold and mildew in the lines. You might wanna visit someone with knowledge as they might have a way to clean it.

The Einszett kit is great for getting rid of internal smells within the vents and such too. I have also found spraying some disenfectant (like Lysol) into the outside air vent (cowl) while air is on high seems to help and could kill/remove any bacteria sitting in this area from the leafs and other materials that started to decay.

Wax Gorilla
05-19-2010, 02:06 PM
Start by using a pie tin full of Baking Soda and or Charcoal (not the stuff impregnated with lighter fluid already). Griots also sells a great product that is reusable / rechargable that is in a permanent mesh bag. Called "STINK-BE-GONE" grat for any trunk where gym clothing, shoes or Golf bags are sometimes stored. I throw a bag in every vehicle. The Griots unit comes with instructions on how to bring it back to new. This product does not MASK the ODOR it neutralizes and traps it.

97zman
05-19-2010, 10:09 PM
Again, great info guys. Thanks a lot.