PDA

View Full Version : Ordering New DA Pads - Voice Your Opinion

rwright
05-18-2010, 10:56 AM
Greetings all! After using Hydro-Tech pads on 3 cars, I'm thinking it's time to try a new pad. Please feel free to voice your opinion but keep in mind I am using the PC 7424XP with M105/M205 and I prefer a 5.5" pad. Here's what I'm thinking:

Lake Country 5.5" Flat pads (http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-beveled-edge-pads.html) or
Lake Country 5.5" CCS pads (http://www.autogeek.net/ccs-5-5inch-foam-buffing-pads.html) or
Lake Country 6" Kompressor pads (http://www.autogeek.net/kompressor-6inch-foam-pads.html)

I'm just not too excited over the short life span of the HT pads, although they cut and finish great! Of course it could be my technique that needs to be improved. I have 3 orange ccs pads and actually like them. Anyway, I'm all about change and ready to try something new. *The purchase of a rotary is in the near future.

PAR Detailing
05-18-2010, 11:05 AM
I say throw a few surbuf pads in with your order. Atleast get 2 of them to try out. I think they cut really well with 105.

Jon

Matt S.
05-18-2010, 11:14 AM
I'd go with 5.5" flats myself. They work great and are very cost efficient. Kompressors are nice with a rotary, but with a DA I'll tend to reach for the 5.5" flats before anything.

Slava
05-18-2010, 12:07 PM
I've been using the 5.5 CCS pads and haven't had any issues.

rwright
05-18-2010, 12:25 PM
I haven't had any problems with the 3 ccs pads that I have either.

Thanks for the idea Jon!

Matt, would you recommend the Surbuf pads? I guess it couldn't hurt just to try them out.

Matt S.
05-18-2010, 01:05 PM
If you need some serious cut, then yes, the Surbuf pads are nice. They work great on Ceramiclear and C5/C6 paint, or any other hard clear when it comes to removing RIDS and the like.

WRAPT C5Z06
05-18-2010, 01:25 PM
I love surbuf pads!!! They are very smooth and have great cut! :dblthumb2:

I first tried flat foam pads, then CCS pads. Overall, the CCS pads are noticeably smoother when polishing, IMO. The also keep more product on the paint. Some say flat pads might cut a little faster, but nothing that I noticed.

rwright
05-18-2010, 02:13 PM
I'm really leaning toward Surbuf pads for cutting and flat pads for finishing, until I experiment with the Surbuf pads. I just read on AG that you can operate the Surbuf on full speed. Is that right or a typo? No worries about heat?

cobalt9123
05-18-2010, 06:16 PM
I'd suggest Surbuf pads and 5.5" flat pads for finishing. I wouldn't bother with the kompressors and the CCS are an alternative option...out of curiosity, did you dislike the HydroTech pads?

rwright
05-18-2010, 08:34 PM
I'd suggest Surbuf pads and 5.5" flat pads for finishing. I wouldn't bother with the kompressors and the CCS are an alternative option...out of curiosity, did you dislike the HydroTech pads?

Nope, pretty good pads. I like to try new products and like to keep my options open. I'm sure I will order more HT pads in the future. My first two cars that I polished out were black and used HT pads on both with great results.