PDA

View Full Version : What type of mit should I get for washing my car?

Pages : [1] 2

turboman808
05-18-2010, 09:34 AM
Just wanted to get some opinions on what you think the best sponge, mit etc you like for washing your car.

I am using a wool wash mit right now but it never dries and is sort of a funky mess. I would rather have something that doesn't sit like a funky mess all the time.

I was thinking about getting boars hair or adams wash pad. Opinions?

CEE DOG
05-18-2010, 10:02 AM
Click this link and scroll down about 1/4 of the way. Mike describes and shows each of the many options.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23602-how-dirty-too-dirty-safely-use-rinseless-wash.html

I haven't tried everything but for me it's the MF chenille wash mitt.

ScottB
05-18-2010, 02:49 PM
Those ones with the stringy MF fingers work and dry well. Often I just grab a thick/soft MF towel.

A4 1.8tqm
05-18-2010, 02:52 PM
I love my Lake Country grout sponges (http://www.autogeek.net/car-wash-sponge.html) and can't recommend them more. I still haven't used my Red ULTI-MIT's (http://www.autogeek.net/ultimate-wash-by-lake-country.html), because I was disappointed that they were one sided. Otherwise Walmart has some nice dark blue MF chenille mitt's for $5 a piece that I use as well. Regardless of what you choose, I recommend picking up a couple of the soft yellow Home Depot Grout Sponges (~$1.50 ea) to use for the dirtiest lower areas and save the good mitt's for the rest of the car.

Matt S.
05-18-2010, 04:24 PM
Yeti's fist :D

cobalt9123
05-18-2010, 06:11 PM
You're going to want to try several out. Everyone has different opinions and certain ones are better for your paint/car. I do suggest getting some cheap grout sponges, as A4 suggested, and using them on the lower parts/under parts of your car.

Finemess
05-18-2010, 06:32 PM
I like these, they work well.
Cobra Blue Micro-Chenille Wash Mitt: Microfiber Wash Mitt, car wash, shampoo mitt (http://www.autogeek.net/cobra-blue-microfiber-mitt.html)

ballfan4141
05-18-2010, 07:12 PM
the cobra microfiber bone.

97zman
05-18-2010, 07:27 PM
I agree with Finemess. I like the blue Cobra mitt.

turboman808
05-18-2010, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the repiles and advice. I will have to try the cobra blue and after looking at the links and the recommendations to try the grout songes I want to try those and cutting them to make them cubed like the others. That would be cool is a $2 sponge can work as good or better then more expensive ones.

Still think I will try the adams wash pad while I am at it. :props:

The autogeek sheep skin mit does work very good but it never dries and gets funky inside. It's still a good product but want something a bit less gross when I go to use it again.

cobalt9123
05-18-2010, 11:39 PM
Hair dryer for the AG sheepskin mitt :xyxthumbs:

A4 1.8tqm
05-19-2010, 03:56 PM
For the sheepskin mitt- Thoroughly rinse it in plain water, roll in a towel and squeeze dry as best you can, then let it sit for several hours to overnight. Then it turn inside out and repeat. The trick, IMO, is let it dry a little, turn it inside out, let it dry a little, turn it right side in. It takes an extra couple minutes over a couple days, but it won't get "funky". :xyxthumbs:

cobalt9123
05-19-2010, 04:16 PM
For the sheepskin mitt- Thoroughly rinse it in plain water, roll in a towel and squeeze dry as best you can, then let it sit for several hours to overnight. Then it turn inside out and repeat. The trick, IMO, is let it dry a little, turn it inside out, let it dry a little, turn it right side in. It takes an extra couple minutes over a couple days, but it won't get "funky". :xyxthumbs:

Great advice that I forgot to mention. I do this as well. It doesn't take very long to dry when you use a hair dryer on the hair and roll it up the inside against a towel. :xyxthumbs:

A4 1.8tqm
05-19-2010, 04:55 PM
These mitt's (Yeti's Fist in my case) are like having a really lazy pet... :D

1flyfisher
05-19-2010, 11:30 PM
Hang the mitt outside in the breeze. It will dry faster.

I just bought the Mother's lambswool wash mitt.
I will try it out tomorrow am.
It looks very nice and well made.
I will use it on select areas of my vehicle and I have Target micro fiber wash mitts also.