PDA

View Full Version : Need Wheel Cleaner recommendations

Da Fats
05-18-2010, 12:37 AM
Okay i am out of my Griot's, P21 gel, Poor boys, and over the counter wheel cleaners and need to restock. I found the Griots and P21 great for the light dusting type of work(although not much more then soap and water could take off), but not the neglected rims... Poor boys was so strong I felt like I was hurting myself and scared it would hurt the rims.

What Cleaners do you guys use regularly for the terrible wheels that have not been touched in years... and what do you keep around for the unfinished wheels?

I am debating between ARO and Meg's wheel brightener... Also thought 1z might be nice...

Please give feed back

chris

ScottB
05-18-2010, 07:10 AM
Poorboys is indeed some tuff stuff, what I found is follow the directions well and use only as needed and never had an issue. Wheel should be cool, wheels should be wet first, spray liberally, agitate as needed, and rinse. I would not however use it weekly nor would I with Wheel Brightner.

ballfan4141
05-18-2010, 12:04 PM
griots for good expensive wheels and Chemical Guys APC cleaner.

Da Fats
05-18-2010, 12:37 PM
I've never see APC's cut through baked on the wheel wheel grime. I am looking for something to speed up the process on the 2 years neglected factory rims I run into on every detail around here.

I know it may not be safe for all finishes

ballfan4141
05-18-2010, 02:09 PM
this stuff cleans great but I wouldnt use it on nice wheels unless you know for sure.

BimmerFerret
05-19-2010, 09:25 AM
I've never see APC's cut through baked on the wheel wheel grime. I am looking for something to speed up the process on the 2 years neglected factory rims I run into on every detail around here.

I know it may not be safe for all finishes

I'm having this issue too. I was pointed to Meg's Wheel Brightener for extreme cases if APC doesn't work.

dublifecrisis
05-19-2010, 09:31 AM
I still like Eagle One A2Z for medium/heavy duty and APC+ for light duty.

AeroCleanse
05-19-2010, 10:40 AM
I would look at the 1z-einszett wheel cleaner or the einszett W99

ballfan4141
05-19-2010, 10:52 AM
I thought the griots worked pretty good even on dirty wheels.

ballfan4141
05-19-2010, 10:55 AM
griots is safe for all wheels.

Wax Gorilla
05-19-2010, 01:38 PM
CG Diablo Gel - It has the maximum hang time with proper wetting agents to "CLING" for several minutes to insure the work is done.

It is strong and should be diluted. Very resonable price once diluted it cost only pennies a wheel.

Tex
05-19-2010, 02:08 PM
My experience with wheel cleaners you named is:
- Griot's: very safe for all wheels but not much more effective than a good car shampoo or APC
- TAW works better than a car shampoo but again, not strong enough for super bad cases
- P21S: I thought at first it was not super tough, but given enough time to dwell (15-30min), it will clean some pretty nasty wheels. It does however not take tar off, and has no acid in it so it will not get the embedded contaminants that have baked in a painted wheel finish for too long. I love it for painted wheels
- Eagle One A2Z: it is very strong. I love it for extreme cases (which I understand is what you have to deal with regularly)

I have mjust bought the DP wheel gel and will need to try it over the week-end

grambow
05-19-2010, 05:25 PM
CG Diablo Gel - It has the maximum hang time with proper wetting agents to "CLING" for several minutes to insure the work is done.

Gotta say, I just bought a gallon of Diablo and am really disappointed. I am diluting 4:1 as per the bottle directions. Their web site says brake dust will just melt away without agitation (paraphrasing). This has not been the case for me on my X3. It cleans the wheels alright but not without multiple brushes and agitation etc. I will probably go back to DP next time. Cheaper than P21s and works pretty well. Just my opinion.

mtnbiker
05-19-2010, 06:32 PM
DP gel wheel cleaner. Very happy with it, been using it for a couple months on my clear coated wheels.

WRAPT C5Z06
05-19-2010, 08:42 PM
Gotta say, I just bought a gallon of Diablo and am really disappointed. I am diluting 4:1 as per the bottle directions. Their web site says brake dust will just melt away without agitation (paraphrasing). This has not been the case for me on my X3. It cleans the wheels alright but not without multiple brushes and agitation etc. I will probably go back to DP next time. Cheaper than P21s and works pretty well. Just my opinion.
I use Diablo and dilute it at 1:1.