PDA

View Full Version : wheel sealant for anodized wheels

whitemonster
05-17-2010, 07:23 PM
Hi guys,

i'm currently looking for a wheel sealant for my set of wheels which are fully anodized. At the moment , i have poorboy's wheel sealant in the list , and swisswax's autobahn if i were to go all out.

My question is , will this go well with the anodized wheels , without damaging them ? I'll be using P21S wheel gel cleaner as the first step

Cheers :dblthumb2:

rohnramirez
05-18-2010, 01:53 AM
I was hesitant to answer since I'm not all that familiar with anodized finishes. I have set of wheels that were custom chromium plated. Same process i believe, unsure though. If it were the same, it is by itself highly resistant, but to add protection, you can add any sealant, it shouldn't harm the finish. But, i would wait for someone with vast experience on it though. :)

ScottB
05-18-2010, 07:08 AM
you should be able to use Poorboys or DP Wheel Sealant on them. You always want to test in a small spot first, as with any product.

Dubbin1
05-18-2010, 09:33 AM
I was hesitant to answer since I'm not all that familiar with anodized finishes. I have set of wheels that were custom chromium plated. Same process i believe, unsure though.

Not even close to the same process ;)

sullysdetailing
05-18-2010, 09:34 AM
I would use a sealant that does not have a cleaner in it because anodized metal seems to fade alot easier then painted or powder coated metals

Mike Phillips
05-18-2010, 10:25 AM
Anodizing is a type of finish that is actually in the aluminum, not a coating just on the aluminum. It tends to harden the surface and make it resistant to oxidation and corrosion. That is to say it's pretty tough just by itself.

Applying a wheel wax or wheel glaze can help to make brake-dust and road grim wash off easier.

The most important thing to avoid with anodized surfaces is acid, so don't use any wheel cleaners that use acid. You want to use a non-acid wheel cleaner. DP Wheel Cleaner is non-acid.

:)

A4 1.8tqm
05-18-2010, 02:36 PM
I've been liking PB's wheel sealant, DP has a nice combo that will take good care of you. Add in DP Gloss tire gel and you got a triple threat perfect for wheels and tires. DP Wheel Special combines some of our best wheel maintenance products. (http://www.autogeek.net/dpspwhkit.html)

rohnramirez
05-18-2010, 09:11 PM
There you go. Mike has all the answers, i learned something again. Thank you. I haven't worked on anything anodized yet, except for custom exhaust pipes. :)

hwt
07-29-2010, 02:29 PM
Please get a look at below link and thoughts welcome.

VWVortex.com - Corrosion Prevention Precautions when removing and replacing Phaeton wheels (http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2230397)

It's about waxing one's wheel centering seat to protect from corrosion. It's targeted to VW/Audi.

I noticed that my Audi winter wheels that I just bought clean as a whistle this past winter have some of that corrosion already. Therefore, I want to clean it up and protect the wheels while they're in storage.

What's with that "wax" that is recommended? Is it really wax? Should I get some of that, or one of the AG products? What can I apply or not?

Like one of the posters on that thread, I, too, am dismayed that the dealers don't apply that at point of service.

Thanks in advance.