PDA

View Full Version : Going rotary from 7242XP??

Stealthyfish
05-17-2010, 07:07 PM
I'm thinking about doing some exterior detailing over the summer and was wondering whether going rotary would be a prudent choice or not for me to cut down work time. Atm, I have a small collection of detailing supplies but I've noticed that the 7424XP takes a while to achieve a swirl free surface and even longer for a scratch free surface. I'm currently practicing/gaining experience working on an E36 BMW. Here is my setup:

7424XP
CCS Oj pad + Menzerna PO83 SIP
CCS grey pad + Menzerna FIP PO106FA for finish

Should I give wool pad//yellow pad + Menzerna S34 PG a try before deciding on selling the XP for a rotary setup? If so, which rotaries would you guys recommend? I see Mike speaks highly of the flex 3403 however I also see a lot about makita.

Thanks a lot for the help. This forum's great!

- Stealthyfish

rohnramirez
05-17-2010, 08:57 PM
Welcome to AGO Stealthyfish. :)

On your current setup, it would be better to use a white pad with the SIP to add more bite to your polishing. Or you can try MPG on orange, then Nano on white, this should speed up your process. Try different approaches and compare the number of section passes you need on each program you come up with to achieve desired results.

You're not gonna get any correction using a wool on a DA, you'll probably do more damage than good. Yellow pad on a DA is fine, you can even try PG on yellow. Get a Makita if you're decided on getting a rotary, but i would keep the DA still rather than sell it. You will still find a way to use it.

WRAPT C5Z06
05-17-2010, 09:11 PM
Welcome to AGO Stealthyfish. :)

On your current setup, it would be better to use a white pad with the SIP to add more bite to your polishing. Or you can try MPG on orange, then Nano on white, this should speed up your process. Try different approaches and compare the number of section passes you need on each program you come up with to achieve desired results.

You're not gonna get any correction using a wool on a DA, you'll probably do more damage than good. Yellow pad on a DA is fine, you can even try PG on yellow. Get a Makita if you're decided on getting a rotary, but i would keep the DA still rather than sell it. You will still find a way to use it.
Orange(which he listed with SIP) pad has more cut than white.

rohnramirez
05-18-2010, 01:34 AM
Ooops..i mistyped that one. lol. Sorry!

Good catch, mark.

Stealthyfish
06-19-2010, 10:21 PM
Alright, well. I've picked up yellow pads and S34. Works quite a bit faster than before. Finished up an '06 Z4M in black with good results. I am still looking towards going with a rotary though but I am keeping the 7424XP available. I'm still thinking of going with the Makita rotary. What would you guys recommend for pads? I have the following polishes available:

Menzerna S34
Menzerna PO83
Menzerna PO106FA
Menzerna PO85RD
Poorboys SSR1
Poorboys SSR2
Meguiars Final cut #9

I'm looking to get into the detailing business so I'd need a good selection of pads but I'm still on a budget. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :)

Da Fats
06-23-2010, 08:49 PM
Definitely keep the PC... Finishing out halogram free on a rotary take A LOT of practice... your gonna need that PC + grey pad + finish polish to clean up after your step 1 and 2 on rotary in the beginning. I am trying to break this need myself and its frustrating!

Chris

Rsurfer
06-23-2010, 09:51 PM
For a rotary I like Kompressor 6" pads.

Da Fats
06-30-2010, 08:48 AM
Rsurfer, Do the 6 inch have the recessed backing for the backing plate to fit into like the 7 inch do ?

Rhudeboye
06-30-2010, 09:08 AM
Im pretty new to this myself but Im getting better. I now use both rotary and a GG DA. +1 on achieving max shine w/ just a rotary. i will also add that Klasse AIO has been my best purchase yet and I have a god amount of products. This is all personal pref.

Mike Phillips
06-30-2010, 09:40 AM
I actually like all the rotary buffers Autogeek sells but if I had to choose just one the Makita would be my choice with a stick handle because it has an RPM range of 600 RPM to 3000 RPM and it's light for it's size.

Love the Flex 3403 and like having it available for small precision work using small pads, most people would definitely want to use it with a handle as the body gets pretty work as you use it. I've never had one shut off due to heat though as that is a feature the Flex tools offer.

The DeWalt is a great rotary buffer and you can't go wrong with it but I like the 600 RPM low range for slow, final polishing.

In a perfect world you can have both...

Don't get rid of your PC though unless it's an older one, having a PX 7424XP is complimentary tool to the rotary buffer.

:)