PDA

View Full Version : Correction Times

bodavenport
05-17-2010, 11:02 AM
Looking for some advice from the seasoned guys out there, Sunday I polished a 2007 Kia Rio (yeah I know a rio?) The paint was semi-hammered using the D-151 (as he only wanted a one step ) it took 4 hours to polish out the paint to an acceptable level, I thought that is a bit long for a small two door car. The car was black and I use the GG ROB with 5.5 pads. The day was wash, clay, wash, polish, wash, dry, seal, treat trim in four hours, is that about right? Can it be done faster in your experiences with my present equipment? I know a rotary would be faster but not ready for that yet maybe next year as I am building a fairly nice client list for just doing this on the side. I feel as though I am achieving good results (the guys in my car club are all impressed and are bringing me clients) but looking at the time factor vs. money charged vs. number of vehicles finished. So long story short is four hours about right for what I did or should it have been less or even more? Most areas got hit with one pass from D-151 on a orange uber pad and a select few areas got Megs UC followed by 151. Car was sealed with Optiseal and poorboys on the trim. Thanks for any replies in advance.

Mike Phillips
05-17-2010, 11:10 AM
So long story short is four hours about right for what I did or should it have been less or even more?

Just to clarify,

4 hours to polish out the paint

or

4 hours for the entire job, from start to finish?

:)

WRAPT C5Z06
05-17-2010, 11:16 AM
Looking for some advice from the seasoned guys out there, Sunday I polished a 2007 Kia Rio (yeah I know a rio?) The paint was semi-hammered using the D-151 (as he only wanted a one step ) it took 4 hours to polish out the paint to an acceptable level, I thought that is a bit long for a small two door car. The car was black and I use the GG ROB with 5.5 pads. The day was wash, clay, wash, polish, wash, dry, seal, treat trim in four hours, is that about right? Can it be done faster in your experiences with my present equipment? I know a rotary would be faster but not ready for that yet maybe next year as I am building a fairly nice client list for just doing this on the side. I feel as though I am achieving good results (the guys in my car club are all impressed and are bringing me clients) but looking at the time factor vs. money charged vs. number of vehicles finished. So long story short is four hours about right for what I did or should it have been less or even more? Most areas got hit with one pass from D-151 on a orange uber pad and a select few areas got Megs UC followed by 151. Car was sealed with Optiseal and poorboys on the trim. Thanks for any replies in advance.
To me, that's very fast! I'm still a n00b though.

bodavenport
05-17-2010, 11:25 AM
four hours start to finish

bodavenport
05-17-2010, 05:30 PM
Hope this is about right then, no chimers?

maximus20895
05-17-2010, 05:38 PM
That seems fast to me lol

mcpp66
05-17-2010, 05:55 PM
It certainly took me a lot more than 4 hours to wash, clay, and correct my Camaro. A WHOLE LOT MORE!!! But I'm a noob as well.

rohnramirez
05-17-2010, 09:20 PM
For a one step, that's fast. You even washed thrice. Even if you take away the polishing step, it would take me hours to wash and dry three times plus claying.

DARK HORSE
05-17-2010, 09:22 PM
For a one step, that's fast. You even washed thrice. Even if you take away the polishing step, it would take me hours to wash and dry three times plus claying.

:iagree: To me that is VERY fast!!!

Da Fats
05-18-2010, 12:24 AM
Hell i spend about 3 -4 hours per polishing step on a midsized not counting all the washing and detailing on top of it... But I also do not get to polish most of my cars I detail :(. People around here keep there cars SOOOO bad off that just washing and waxing WOW's the #### out of them

Dubbin1
05-18-2010, 12:33 AM
4hrs??? Was that a little toy pedal car that you were working on?

rohnramirez
05-18-2010, 01:01 AM
:haha:

bodavenport
05-18-2010, 08:21 AM
OK, I feel better, We did not (the owner's son helped to some degree) look to achieve 100% correction but I feel as though we got 80-85%. Looked much better, in fact looked good enough that her son had me show him proper wash techniques and the owner scheduled her other two vehicles to be polished. It will certainly take longer to do the other two as they are larger and are looking for more correction. I will be using the megs twins on them and have put aside two days for each of them. Thanks for the replies.

RaskyR1
05-18-2010, 10:01 AM
I agree. I'd be happy as heck if I got it done in 4hrs. That is a pretty small car though and 2hrs of polishing should be about how long it take me for a 1-step. The rest of the time would be for washing, claying, waxing...